GT3RS or TURBO S ? | FerrariChat

GT3RS or TURBO S ?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by bocaf430, Feb 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    thinking of a 2019 GT3RS or Turbo S, not going to the track...which would be the better choice for a weekend car and once in a while daily driver? Car would be on Long Island, roads suck... I loved my last 2003 996TT but I did body package GT2 rear wing... wheels etc.

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Turbo S.

steven t evans and LARRYH like this.
  3. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Without taking the car to a track occasionally, the GT3RS would not make any sense, too stiff and looks a bit pathetic on regular roads/streets with that huge airplane size wing in the back.
    Turbo S is just more practical and is suitable for daily driving duty without looking silly.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #4 LightGuy, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    997GT2.
    Much faster than sane people need, a respected low production classic and you get all your money back when sold.

Not to sound negative but there are LOTS of GT3RS's out there. All slower than that older GT2.. When is the last time you saw a 997GT2 ?

New Turbo S's will depreciate like keys dropped out of a Learjet.

Now on to solve world peace ;) Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster, slm and C50 like this.
  5. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I would do turbo S. Great daily driver and can handle its own on track.

LARRYH likes this.
  6. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    GT3RS. More sporty. No turbo. Probably less depreciation. Drive one and you’ll know. Turbo S is just so mundane.

Caveat: I am a warped individual who thinks the McLaren 720 is boring.

Coincid likes this.
  7. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    How about an "in between" GT3 or GT3 Touring ?

A few years ago, I shopped both 997 Turbo's and GT3's - loved the Turbo until an Fchatter from MN let me drive his GT3 - game over - had a white 997.1 GT3 in my garage a few weeks later. The wail above 4000 RPM's sold me - very addicting. Used mine as a weekend car only - mostly back roads and an occasional trip to the lake and back ( ~ 80 miles each way - highway or back country roads ). Good luck.

MDS

cairns and LARRYH like this.
  8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    The way you use your car prefers the GT3 or RS but the OP mentioned daily driving duty and that fact would make the Turbo a more sensible choice.

9. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #9 mclaudio, Feb 24, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    For my street driver and occasional DD, I went back to a 996TT from newer Porsches. Backroads, mountain trips for biking/snowboarding, city errands: I drive my stick 996TT. It has become my sweet spot for combo analog/modern driving experience. It is stock except for coilover suspension, winter tire set and roof rack attachments.

If with flappy paddles, I’d go RS.

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    if not tracking turbo s. perfect daily. great on the street.

11. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I loved my 996tt and mine was tiptronic, but I loved it for the look, but again I added wing and front end...lowered and wheels

12. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    I have driven both and own a 911 Turbo S. For what you are describing I would get the Turbo S - plenty fun, way more practical, and given your comment on roads you will appreciate the suspension on the Turbo S which is firm but soft enough to be a daily driver (and you can stiffen in Sport mode).

The other choice: if you don't need back seats and the extra mile of livability... go for a GT3 touring. Great balance of the two cars... works as a daily but has the naturally aspirated engine and tingle you get from a manual transmission etc. I would own one in a heartbeat if they would build me one with back seats - no matter how many times people ask they will not fit with back seats even though it is a "Touring" car (I need occasional use of back sets but also the luggage space when the back seats are folded down). Porsche HQ = no!

13. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    GT3T wouldn't be a good DD for LI since it doesn't have PDK, AWD, or rear wiper, nor can you put a box on the roof.

14. ThePusher

ThePusher Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2004
    Compared to GT3 RS? Ha

Read the original post. He is looking for weekend car and occasional driving during week. And was considering a GT3 RS or Turbo S. I stand by my post that the GT3 Touring is a decent compromise between those two cars depending on what the poster needs and is willing to give up.

I disagree that you need AWD for a daily driver. Nor a box on roof. Depending on where you live a rear wiper is not needed (the turbo S doesn’t have one either). And PDK is great gearbox but manuals are wonderful - agree with you that stop and go traffic is better with PDK. But I prefer manuals unless on track and trying to set a lap time.

cairns likes this.
  15. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Compared to TTS. GT3RS isn't a good DD either. Roof box is good for carrying skis. Rear wiper is good during ice storms. TTS has rear wiper option. You can also get ACC w/ PDK. Manuals aren't good for DD especially if one gets an injury.

16. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    at this time with the coronavirus out there, I am doing nothing, not knowing what the near future holds... I a bit nervous and fear a bad outcome from this all..

LARRYH likes this.
  17. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I had a GT3 touring for two years and loved the manual action on weekend drives. Every time I pursued the daily driving duties though, it didn’t feel quite right. It just was a better special occasion car, though for me that was almost every weekend. I am considering the TTS for DD now.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
  19. Camelot

Camelot Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2013
    down South
    GT3 RS, more special as weekend car. Turbo S is good for daily.

20. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    Just placed an order for a TTS. I might get a PTS option. Maybe a variation of green if I am able to get that option. November soonest delivery date.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Just read the factories are now closed so don't count to much on that delivery date.

22. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    Anticipation is part of the fun however long.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Please let us know what PTS colours are available on the 992. Brewster would be nice.

24. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I have a month to lock the specs. Will be doing a lot of back and forth with the dealer. Will let you know what I learn.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app