Dash cam protection | FerrariChat

Dash cam protection

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by carthusiast, Feb 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Hello, looking for ways to protect my Portofino with a dash cam and installation ideas and how others have done it. Mine wont be parked outside. Its mainly when I take it out. Appreciate any thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Megafred

Megafred Rookie

Jun 24, 2018
    I did not want to install a fixed camera, so I bought a small mini surveillance camera with motion detector, which I put on the dashboard after parking. It records movements for about 2 minutes and if I am nearby, I get a live picture on my smartphone. This is not a professional solution and only covers the front view, but at least it is something. I am also very curious about other solutions

3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Got a Blackvue 750 installed in all of my cars, with parking mode. I hard wired it from the fuse box incthe passenger footwell in my Lusso. Pretty straight forward. Im sure it will be pretty easy as well on the PF, unless you also want to install the rear view camera... not sure how that would work with all the roof cinematic.

4. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    I have the purecam. It is one of the few that films front and inside of car (which also gets back if you angle it properly) and uses a SIM card for remote viewing. It plugs into the ODB port for continuous power to detect any entry or movement and sends you a text /email notification. There were only a few that had SIM cards for remote viewing when I bought mine last year and it works for me.

5. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I just installed the Owl Cam in my 570S. It's great! I even caught an idiot sitting in my car at a car show last week. I posted video on my IG @life_withadam if you want to see the video quality. You can remotely access the camera and look in on your car from anywhere in the world. Love it.

6. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I also have the BlackVue 750 with a power magic connected to the OBD port for power. It has a park mode so will run until the voltage drops say to 12v on the battery.

I also have a mifi router in the centre arm rest and so can connect to the cam from anywhere and watch my car over wifi

You will be surprised how many people come up to look at her when she is parked.

I don’t have the rear cam because of the roof only the front.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Thanks

8. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Thanks

9. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Thanks

10. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Cant seem to see the video. Can you post a link if possible

11. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    mmoharter likes this.
  12. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
  13. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Is it east to locate the OBD port? Is the OBD used for anything on the portofino as it is? My Portofino should be here next week. Trying to order a dashcam and wanted to get the OBD accessory but wanted to make sure I dont need a y splitter if one is already being used for the car. Thanks in advance

14. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Nevermind lol. Owl Cam just went out of business. I mean, of course they did, they had the best damn camera on the market. ****.

15. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Thanks. When I was researching found out that there werent selling anything on their website and more digging showed that they may have went out of business. I got a thinkware U1000 dual channel with the radar module. Will post once installed

16. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Yeah it’s under the steering wheel usually down under the dash in the foot well. It’s used at the dealer to read the car but other than that and for service or programming it’s not used. Literally takes one second to plug in and out if you have to use the port for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Thank you so much

18. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Wondering how much of a data plan does one need for dash cam hotspot for the parking mode

19. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    So I self installed a thinkware u1000 dual dashcam. My set up is a seen in the pic below for those who may need an idea. I went back and forth with putting it near the rear or in the windshield for a 360 sorta coverage. In ARizona there are no front plates so thought this might be the best for me. The view you see if of the rear one. If you look closely the front camera is just above that. The font is a 150 deg view of the road and the rear is 156 deg.

Image Unavailable, Please Login