Belt Service | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Belt Service

Discussion in '308/328' started by Bobby Butler, Feb 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Hasn't been my experience. There is a moment when it suddenly goes from low-to-high, but I've not found difficulty in setting the final torque in that position.

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The Ferrari prescribed method for the 3x8 may seem somewhat imprecise but I have owned vehicles with what appears to be a much LESS precise method of tightening the cam belts! One used a spacer rod about 2" long that was inserted between the belt and pulley. if you could manually rotate the engine with the rod between the belt and pulley, the belt tension was too low. The instructions even said that if the factory spacer wasn't available, a steel bolt (of the correct diameter - can't remember what the diameter was) was OK to use. ;)

I've used the Ferrari method on my 328 and I routinely red-line the engine in the low gears every time I take it out. Belts are still there spinning away! It may be less precise than other methods but it is certainly appears to be appropriate for the application.

3. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Reading around ( Mr Google ) the subject, with a GT4 do you have to loosen off the engine mounts and raise the engine assembly a little to get enough clearance to remove the rear bank belt cover ?
    Somebody says it jams against the chassis frame , won’t just come off like a std 308/208 ?

4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #104 Martin308GTB, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Maybe someone correct me, if I'm wrong. But as far as I remember, there are belt covers with long spacers and earlier ones without. On some engines the covers are fitted with studs and on others with bolts. I imagine, that on covers without spacers and studs instead of bolts, you hit the frame before you have cleared the studs.
    My late carb engine has the cover fitted with bolts (and helicoil inserts in the head for them). Studs would require pulling.
    I once replaced the rear belt cover, since some hack job from previous owners caused it to crack.
    The replacement was for spacers, so I had to fabricate those myself.
    See picture regarding spacers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Never heard of the need to raise the engine. Not even from GT4 buddies.

Best from Germany
    Martin

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No.

It does.

Portofino likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A lot of studs need to be removed in the process. Don't really remember if those did too, its been a long time. .

7. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Kiwiokie, did you remove the spark plugs when you rotated the engine? That along with a long cheater bar makes it very easy.

8. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Thanks I will give it another try before installing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #109 Martin308GTB, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    I just had a look. My spare parts book 308 GTB 1976 says 'studs'. SPB 308 GTB/GTS 1980 says bolts. SPB 308 GT4 1975 says 'studs',308 GT4 1979 'bolts'. It makes a huge difference, how easy or difficult the rear belt cover can be removed. And I assume, that this was the reason, why they modified the design on the later engines. I am quite sure the rear belt cover will hit the frame or spring/damper without removal of the studs.
    On the bolt versions there are helicoils in the heads and crankcase. IIRC one threaded hole goes through into an non-pressurized oil reflow channel. I use Loctite for it. Otherwise I have a slight oil leak there.

Best
    Martin

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    With the right tools studs can be removed in seconds. Not a big difference. Takes me longer to get the tools out of the tool box.

One goes in right at the base of a head stud. Never had a leakage issue.

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Do you have a tool recommendation? I once purchased a stud puller set. It damaged the threads. Now I still use use the pre-war method. Two countered nuts. Tedious.

Best and thanks
    Martin

12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I use a metric Stahlwille set that has not damaged threads that I have seen. Come up used on ebay often for not much money.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Martin308GTB likes this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Snap On makes a collet remover and a different easier tool for reinstallation. Don't know any of the part numbers. Some people use the roller type for both but those damage the threads so I don't use them.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those are the ones that damage threads. I won't use them.

15. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Mine broke free with very little effort so maybe I was just lucky.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    That's the problem with all roller type or universal chuck removers. Removal of tight studs will damage the threads. Especially when using the roller type. Problem with the collet types is, that you not only need a collet for each thread diameter, but for each pitch too. I believe, something similar like the collet type removers and reinstallation tools is also available cheaper than from Snap-On. Coming from China, it could be worth a try nevertheless and probably good enough for us home DIY mechanics, who don't use it every day. And covers all sizes, we have on our cars:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PC-Metric-Stud-Remover-and-Installer-Kit/282517845539?epid=8030757450&hash=item41c7603623:g:p9gAAOSwCkZZOxix

Best from Germany
    Martin

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And if they are not set in too hard those are sort of OK. We see them set in very hard, corroded etc. and sometimes it requires a lot of force to get them out.

18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That is the set I used and they worked well though, as you say, probably wouldn't hold up in a shop environment where they might be used constantly every day. In that case you really need to get the best quality available.

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Interesting price comparison between ebay.com and ebay Germany. This is the same set, just without the M12x1.5 remover, which we don't need anyway.
    (€ 1.00 ~ $ 1,08)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/BGS-9185-Zylinderkopf-Stehbolzen-Werkzeug-9-tlg-Stehbolzenausdreher-M6-M8-M10/132702359286

Regarding tool quality. I have purchased a mandatory special tools set for changing the cambelt on our Fiat 500 1.4 16V and was really surprised about the good quality given the price and given the fact, that it's Made in China.
    Same with a brake piston retraction tool set which was even cheaper.

Best from Germany
    Martin

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Even the roller type of really good brands break regularly on tight studs. Getting a collet for the 11 x 1.0 head studs is hard so we use the roller type and they break pretty much 100% of the time.

21. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

22. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If you do your belts and then immediately start reading every belt thread on F-chat you will be due for another belt change before you are done reading. :D

randkin, mike996, Saabguy and 2 others like this.
  23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I agree, that it might be a significant difference, whether the identical design has to act on a 12 cyl. camshaft as opposed to a 8-cyl shaft.

Best from Germany
    Martin

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  25. MFlanagan

MFlanagan Karting

Dec 21, 2016