348 BUYER ADVICE | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 BUYER ADVICE

Discussion in '348/355' started by ROSSOFAN, Feb 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    This has nothing to do with the SS but more to do with the car's production date. Example, my car is not an SS but has the rear suspension geometry change.

This change continued with the GTS/GTB which were the same model years as the "for North America" SS cars.

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Also, where are you located? Because everyone US-based always love to wax on about the SS, but the rest of the world got the F119H-engined 348 GTS/GTB (the tall plenum engine). If you're outside of North America, (or are in NA and want to import one) don't forget about this rather large change. Plus you get real seatbelts and no mousetraps (US only).

But at the end of the day, the specific car is more important than tracking all of these little changes.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Lowering the roll center effectively softens up the rear end giving the rear end MORE grip.
    The shorter radius of instant centers makes the car more predictable in corners.

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The first chassis with the geometry change was the SS.
    That change was permeated across all post SS 348 production.

But I was more interested in quelling the notion that the suspension was "fixed" with wheel spacers,...

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohh for sure the rear lower a arm pickip point bracket changed. The wheel offset change to widen the track happend as well. I suspect the widend rack had more to do with squirlyness resolution? I believe while the lower pickup point helped traction and roll otherwise why would they bother with 2 inch wider rear track with wheel offset if the suspension pickup point solved it? The challenge wheels are also wider not narrow track. Just my understanding I am open to correction of course.

For Joe 6 pack cruising the mall the wide track will make it more stable is the point. Its noticable....

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #31 bjwhite, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020

Maybe for North American spec models, but not for RoW cars.

However, considering the first SS was 92812, it is worth researching a bit more I guess. My car is post 92812.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I'm pretty sure that's a F355 setup. Notice the adjustable shocks.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The drawing overlays the original 348 suspension pickup points on a F355 rear suspension drawing.

9. bballto

bballto Karting

Mar 10, 2014
    Buy the best one you can afford, get a PPI, have cash on hand for repairs (8k for belt service every five years). You will smile every time you walk up to it to drive it, when you get out and look back, and every time you redline it. Trust me. Brian

10. ROSSOFAN

ROSSOFAN Rookie

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    TEODORO FRAGOSO BRAVO
    Hi Guys;
    I have a possible candidate car to buy over here which is relatively low mileage compared to what can be found in the market in general and I was wondering... how much can you trust the mileage shown on the gauge?. I have no documented evidence to proof this, just the word of the seller.
    Can it be possible that the mileage shown on these cars somehow has been rolled back or similar? is this a real possibilitie?
    any input is appreciated
    many thks.

11. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    I wouldn't pay a premium for undocumented low mileage, or low mileage in general. Go on condition. Mine was low but had been unused for 11 years, that wasn't a good thing!

12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Like any mechanical odometer, it can be adjusted and or replaced. Similarly it’s very easy to disconnect the tacho on these cars to effectively alter the mileage.

as above, low mileage is not necessarily a good thing in these cars. They need regular use; else seals dry out; bearings set etc etc.

as to undocumented mileage; don’t care who is selling the car, I wouldn’t trust it as far as I could throw it. And I would never pay a premium for such.

in short, keep looking.

13. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Can I get a confirmation on the above numbers? Wheel-size.com says the offsets are 49 in the front and 60 in the rear on the 348. They are usually pretty accurate but maybe not on Ferraris.

Also, I am looking at some aftermarket rims. Finding staggered 17" rims with high offset has proven impossible so far. I have found some 18" staggered rims that I think may work. There are two wheels from Advanti that may work. One is called the Classe and the other is called the Cammino. They both come with 45mm offsets which, based on the numbers given above for "Later Offset" should work. I can get 8" wide for the front and 9" wide for the rear to hold 215/45R18 and 255/40R18 tires respectively. Those should be correct if the OEM tires sizes were 215/50R17 and 255/45R17. So, please, someone confirm those numbers as well. Other than caliper clearance, I think these should work. I have asked Advanti if they know anything about caliper clearance.

14. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #41 Ferrarium, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    215 will look wonky if it even fits on a 8" front super stretched, but the rear will look too big. so front stretched sidewalls and balloon rear. Stick with the following generally unless your going for some look none of us are familiar with like stretched sidewall "stanced" look or what not.
    • OEM 348 sizes
    • 348 Challenge sizes
    • 355 sizes
    There are countless wheel threads, use the search perhaps to shed some light on wheels, perhaps not turn this thread into a wheel thread, perhaps start a new thread instead. Good luck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login