348 - Anybody out there have any affordable wires for a 348 plug wires magnecor doesn't take phone calls a | FerrariChat

348 Anybody out there have any affordable wires for a 348 plug wires magnecor doesn't take phone calls a

Discussion in '348/355' started by tommygunct, Feb 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    Anybody have any leads on any affordable wires

Tony Moore and Sami like this.
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I thought there was a parts cross ref for these in the stickies. Rock auto or ricambi maybe

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I just looked at Ricambi site and last year I bought a complete set for my 355 for under 500 bucks. Looks like separately they would be 1600 now.
    Maybe it’s a discount when you get a complete set, not sure.
    Daniel can maybe comment if he sees this

6. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Maybe it based on availability. Right now the 348 set is almost $900 but the F355 set is $465.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/f355-ignition-wire-set.html

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    About 3 years ago I bought a set of HT leads (p/n FHT022) from Eurospares at GBP 275. After I received them, I found out that these are actually manufactured by OKP Parts & Engineering GmbH (Germany) and found them far superior in quality of workmanship to the Magnecor set that I had at the time. However, they are now GBP 475 from Eurospares (and cost even more if ordered directly from OKP).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Fairly easy job to crimp one's own once all parts are sourced - beruparts.com is the go-to place in this case.

[​IMG]

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you still have the spark plug ends, you can make a set of wires for $75. Kingsborne has the parts.

11. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
  12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Great find! Strange that no one replied to his post. I'll add it here, and fix the YouTube link as well (select "click to expand").

13. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I have a large spool of the proper BERU ignition cable + copper crimp connectors and have made several replacement plug wires for many different types of vehicles (mine and otherwise). PM me if you are interested. All I need is the exact length of each ignition cable that needs to be duplicated.

14. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I bought directly from Italy, CAVIS, they have red and black complete HT sets, about €400,00 + VAT

https://www.autoepoca.it

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    What makes the BERU cable proper vs a universal 8MM kit like Accel? I don't mean this question in a sarcastic way, is there a technical spec to the cable you have that others don't, heat rating, size, resistance....??

16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Every time I go through that website I feel like a kid again (same as when reading the Sears Christmas catalog). ;)

lanab likes this.
  17. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    The BERU is "proper" in that it is the same size and construction as OEM - heck it is what Ferrari uses. I suppose the Accel cable could be just as proper: I don't know, I have never seen it.

18. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Depends on the exchange rate.

My comment was based on the exchange rate value of that day. Today, £399.95 = $514.49.

Ricambi's price is $896., with the F-Chat discount it's $806.40.

So, as of a few minutes ago, Superformance's price is lower by $291.91, excluding shipping.

20. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Pepsi10 and Koenig1 like this.
  21. Tony Moore

Tony Moore Rookie

Oct 16, 2019
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Tony Moore
    It's definitely not easy. I think Ferrari have a supplier clause in there somewhere. I had a similar issue with active dampers on my old BMW once. You could buy any dampers you like, just not those ones, dealer only!

22. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Just to reintroduce my post on the subject:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/spark-plug-wires-also-for-355-applications.644402/

Magnecor is a pretty reasonably priced alternative. Mine are still working perfectly in my car with no complaints other than they don't look stock enough to pass concours judging. They are a small shop and try to attend all the national car events they can. They also support certain racing teams so they will go along as race support. Point is, if you can't reach them by phone, check the number and keep trying. You can also send them an email to their sales address. I found them to be pretty responsive.

You can also try for a used set from GT Parts. They probably will not cost much and would be worth a shot.

Tony Moore likes this.
  23. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    Another alternative is these guys. They have both OEM and their own in-house solution. I bought a set of their "KV85" wires - no issues. They'll also sell you all the parts you need to make your own. I may eventually do that so I can use my OEM caps.

http://www.italiancarparts.com/ignitionwires/Ferrari.html

Tony Moore likes this.
  24. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    It comes down to having the correct ends. The wire is just 7mm copper core (0 ohm). I got it in grey at o'reilly, but you can find it in bulk from some chopper shops in any color you want for $1/ft.

I have a box of ends here from beru if anyone needs some.

sjd

25. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Magnacore aka beru cables have a higher quality the internal conductor wire and outside jacket are made to suppress EMI and RFI as well as heat resistant and depending on which ones you get they can be 8.5 to 10 mm
    Accel claims it works in the same way but uses a different core material either will work fine

??? Are the wires on your car no good making a miss, sparking through the wire to ground or just doing maintenance