How and how long do you warm your car up | FerrariChat

How and how long do you warm your car up

Discussion in '360/430' started by saudio, Feb 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    before driving? On my f430 I usually let it idle 2-3 minutes, then drive gently and shift before 4K until the oil temperature starts to come up. After that no red lining until full oil temperature.

The transmission also takes a while to warm up and shift smoothly (6 speed). It's stiff and notchy until it gets warmed up.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Your are doing it perfectly.. start ..warmup for a short time ..then drive very gingerly until 5 10 miles and oil is about 170f ..

Then you are good to go

The time and mileage to warm will depend on outside temp

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

CarbonDan and saudio like this.
  3. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Did you just purchase the car ?

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i remember my F430 took about 15-20 minutes to warm up by shifting before 4rpm. the 458 takes about 5 minutes. not sure why the difference

5. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A few months ago. I've put about 500 miles on it with sporadic winter driving.

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Start it up and then maintain 7000-8000 rpm for 5 minutes. Fastest way to warm up those fluids!

(I'm kidding of course)

Blue360, psych0hans and cpep like this.
  7. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    1-2 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I usually start it and back it out of the garage. Then get out and do a walk around and inspect everything is good . That's about 5min of warm up time and then I roll out. Keep shifts down until oil temp is up as others have said.

whatheheck likes this.
  9. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Start it and drive it, keep it under 4k until oil up to 150 or so.

Blue360, Need4Spd, recoil and 7 others like this.
  10. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    I use to warm up the car prior to driving it. Now I start and go however I keep the RPMs under 2k for about 5-10 min.

Blue360 and EastMemphis like this.
  11. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    Not advisable for F1 cars. The clutch only closes completely at approx. 1900 rpm, so it is better to stay between 2200 and 3000 rpm.

12. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I start it and wait for all dash lights to go away (5 or six seconds) before I back out of garage. I keep it under 4k until at temp, which depends on outside temp. I only drive in above 35 deg because of summer tires.

Blue360 likes this.
  13. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Just start and go like any other car. Keep it under 3-4k rpm and wait for the oil to warm up. I would never let it idle when cold. Surprised to see many Ferrari owners do that.

Blue360 and Danedingerson like this.
  14. willfinch36

willfinch36 Rookie

Dec 16, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Same here, thought it was something to do with low oil pressure when idling.

15. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I used to do the exact same thing and still do it for all my other cars. The one shop that works on my car recommend letting it idle a couple minutes before driving off for the F1 system. Now while I was skeptical at first it does make a big difference. Shifting is a lot smoother once she’s warmed up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Start up and idle as little as possible. Out the driveway and start driving. No revs above 4K until oil temp reaches at least 170 degrees. On cool and colder days may take as long as 15 to 20 minutes to reach a "safe" temperature to drive spiritedly. F1 car FWIW.

17. Hypek9

Hypek9 Karting

Apr 9, 2012
    Australia
    Usually let idle for 5 minutes before driving. Keep revs below 4K until oil temp is good, can take up to 15 minutes of driving.

Evad likes this.
  18. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Let it cold start until the revs drop to normal, then drive. Usually around 30 seconds to 1 minute, and then I'll drive gingerly until the operating temps get up to normal. Shift under 3K, I have an F1.

19. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lugging the motor, cold or hot, is not so good. I can't imagine keeping the revs under 2000 RPM when driving a cold motor.

KC360 FL likes this.
  20. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

What's the issue with letting the car idle? If I know I'm headed out for my Sunday morning drive, I turn it on and let it sit while I go inside to do a few other things. Usually anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes at least. Mostly because I don't have a lot of time to drive it, and I have limited self control once I exit the garage :) .

Hypek9 and Sky Hye like this.
  21. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    I’ll idle for a minute or two. For the rest I’ll drive about 5-10 minutes before really shredding my tires. The transmission will let you know based on how it shifts. That is if you’re in tune with your car

VAF84 and EastMemphis like this.
  22. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    Look in your exhaust for black soot which fills your engine on cold idle.

23. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm lucky that I live at the top of a hill. After starting and cel out, I pop into reverse for a fraction of a second and let gravity do the rest. By the time I'm at the bottom of the hill, idle has dropped and ready to go. I recall the owners manual said something about under 3000 r's until 70c, which is what I do. Maybe it was Fonzie at J. Scuderia. After 70c, I let her rip.

24. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
    I was always told by pretty high-end mechanics that idling causes build up of unburnt fuel in the oil. Was told by a long time Ferrari mechanic to drive it gently, but not to idle it after starting. The unburnt fuel breaks down the oil (apparently). Also heard this with a Porsche Mechanic I used who I think pretty highly of. Of course, not sure if this applies to synthetic oils, but that is what I was told...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

VAF84 likes this.
  25. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    #25 JohnnyTS, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    how I understood it, it's the burned carbon and unburnt fuel laying on the valves when idling and switching off, the idling a bit for a few minutes is fine when going out on a drive and the fuel burns off properly but when you idle for example 2/5 or whatever minutes and just switch the car off it is very bad and will break down the oil quicker but this was opinions from car guys / engine mechanics.