Mondial battery | FerrariChat

Mondial battery

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ken S., Feb 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ken S.

Ken S. Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    Has anyone installed a remote positive terminal on a Mondial? If the battery is dead, it's almost impossible to jump start the car. Thanks, Ken

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Might be helpful to mention which Mondial you are speaking of (year and variant), and also update that information in your profile.

I'd also suggest that prevention is the key, as jump starting is generally very bad for your alternator. As the alternator then has to work overtime trying to charge your dead battery.
    Thus, better to maintain and check your battery condition periodically, and use a battery tender religiously.

3. Ken S.

Ken S. Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    You're right - should have been more specific - it's an '89 Mondial T. And only looking to getting home from a parking lot or shopping center if the battery is dead. Do have a battery tender - but you never know. And again, trying to jump the battery in this car is almost impossible. Even changing it isn't a peach. Ken

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #4 moysiuan, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    The battery posts on the oem battery are under the body area for protection from rain, although there is also a plexiglass cover for that purpose too. Some people use the red Optima battery with the posts in the centre of the battery, that makes the terminals accessible to jumper cables.

Makes sense to have a remote positive terminal, but I am not sure any Mondial owners have done this. I might do this, but I hooked up connectors for a battery maintainer, and have an expensive Northstar agm battery, and have never had to do a boost. If you remove the windshield fluid tank, you can remove a cover piece that will allow access to the battery, so that is what I would do in a pinch if I needed a boost.

This link might help...

https://iboughtaferrari.wordpress.com/tag/change-battery-ferrari-mondial/

5. Ken S.

Ken S. Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    Thanks for your suggestion - but the cover under the windshield washer fluid tank is secured by three bolts, one of which is directly under the windshield washer pump, which itself is secured by two bolts. Not too convenient to undo all of that in a hurry. Also, the battery posts are on the forward side of the battery, and I'm not sure they could be reached even if the cover were removed. I studied the link, but still not sure it could be done that way. There is the cover under the washer tank, but also the bulkhead cover in front of the tank which should be removed. But if you look at the photo, most of the battery is under the pop-up light support and I'm not sure there's room to tip it up and out. The back edge of the battery is the white strip in the photo. Ken Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    My Mondial is the 3.2, yours does look like much less clearance there. I thought the t was pretty much the same at the front of the car. Looks like that is not the case.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Here is an extract from an old Fchat thread, the only instance of solving the t jump start I could find. Other comments say you can get at the battery through a space just behind the headlight bucket, but that does not look viable or safe to me, the odds of arcing the battery by contacting the jumper clamp to the body would be very high with such little access room.

"Introducing: "Hank's Mondial t Positive Post Battery SPUD":):) Just trim an end off a short basic battery cable, solder it all together and find or make, a protective cover for the hot end. Simply install the spud at the positive battery connection, and let the end of the spud protrude up thru the open space.

Now, opening your bonnet will probably take more elapsed time, than that needed to (properly)connect a jumper cable to your battery. :):)

Cheers guys & gals,

Hank"

[​IMG]

8. Ken S.

Ken S. Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
  9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Again, an ounce of prevention. I have had four Ferraris over the past 21 years, one for 10 years. Never had to jump start any of them. While inconvenient, I have AAA as my back up...I can just have it flat bedded home.
    But, I always replace my battery every 5 to 6 years, test it annually with a battery load tester, and (when I can remember :) ), keep the car on a battery tender. For most Ferrari applications, an AGM type battery is preferred, since they do not require periodic checking of the electrolyte level.

10. Ken S.

Ken S. Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    Not sure if other Ferrari models are as difficult to change the battery as the Mondial, but removing if the right front wheel and then the inner fender panel is difficult enough, getting the wheel back on properly is another challenge, especially for one person. Holding the wheel up in the air, aligning the bolt holes, and orienting the wheel so the notches in the wheel hub match the notches in the rotor while the rotor is free to turn is a real bear. I somewhat made the process easier, by first, when initially removing the wheel, make small magic maker dot on a wheel bolt hole and a correspond dot on it's mating bolt hole on the rotor. Then using a wheel hanger stud from Amazon, thread the tool in a rotor bolt hole and place the wheel over the tool observing the previous-made orienting dots. Then cinch up four of the wheel bolts, remove the tool, secure the fifth bolt, and then torque them all in a pattern. Ken
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L2WE27G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Sounds pretty complicated to reinstall the wheel.
    It's a little easier to reach the battery on a 355, but not much. Still have to jack up the front of the car, remove the right front wheel, remove the screws and front portion of the fender liner to get to the battery. Basically impossible to check the electrolyte level from that angle, which is why an AGM battery is preferred.

I bought wheel hangers probably 17 years ago...best to use two, makes things even easier....but I don't like knurling. Mine are perfectly smooth, with a slightly tapered tip. Maybe my OCD, but the knurling can mess up the wheel inserts on your wheels. Mine do have a hole drilled through them, so if they get stuck, I can shove a small screwdriver through them to use as a lever.

12. Ken S.

Ken S. Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    The ones from Amazon are mildly knurled but they also have a hex recess in the tip for an Allen wrench. And probably two are better - that's why they're sold in pairs. But orienting the wheel hub to the rotor can be challenging.

13. Ken S.

Ken S. Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    One other question on an '89 Mondial T - the heater works well, but the fan seems noisy. Is this a common problem? Is a replacement available? If so, is replacing the fan difficult? Ken

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The good news is the t heater motor is typically a Bosch unit, part number 0130063015 and widely available through Rock Auto, etc.. The bad news is the whole dash has to come apart to get the big black heater box out from under the dash. The unit is believed to be from a Fiat tractor, although some enterprising fellows I recall may have crossed it to a BMW 5 series unit of similar vintage. But it is the labour to get at this unit that makes the fan repair a challenge.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider likes this.
  15. Ken S.

Ken S. Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    Pardon again, my not providing complete information on my '89 Mondial T, and maybe that's why I'm shown as a "rookie". The heater noise is not emanating from the dash, but rather directly behind me. Is there a separate electric water pump for heater water situated near the firewall? Sure would be handy if I could obtain a service or workshop manual for this car. Ken

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If there is an electric pump for the HVAC system, it is usually located up front, near the heater core. At least that is what I saw on my F355 spider.

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Crazy as it sounds, but I don't think Ferrari intended its Mondial t owners to replace the battery themselves, nor have the car jump-started. ;)

f355spider likes this.
  18. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  19. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/mondial-group/mondial-t/air-conditioning-system.html

Maybe it is the pump number 18 in the diagram making some noises?

20. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    In addition to a battery tender as suggested above, I'd like to share my ultimate back-up plan if anything else fail:

A Lithium Jump Starter: about $60 at COSTCO and the tiny + cable will relatively reach the + of the battery w/o having to remove anything. Plus with this one you can use it to power/charge (built-in wireless charger) your phone in case you're really stranded in the middle of nowhere!

f355spider likes this.
  21. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    ERRATUM:

:oops:

22. Ken S.

Ken S. Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    Ok, here's an update on the Mondial T:
    1) The heater coolant pump that was quite noisy and was buzzing was caused by the pump touching a structural member. A small amount of adhesive foam isolated the pump and it's quiet now.
    2) As mentioned previously, never felt comfortable in a car that I couldn't easily access the battery in case it needed to be jumped. The Mondial T is especially guilty. Solved the problem with remote battery terminals from Amazon ($54.00, search for R2X-BCK) and used auxiliary battery posts to connect to them. Again, from Amazon ($18.00/pair, search for InstallGear battery terminals). Used the bracket supplied and attached it to headlight bracket without drilling any additional holes. So it can easily be undone if the next owner wishes. Not that I will ever need it, but now if necessary, the battery can easily be jumped without removing the right front wheel. Ken

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001