Bought a 2005 Ford GT | FerrariChat

Bought a 2005 Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Shark01, Feb 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    After a 6 year saving effort, I bought a 2005 Ford GT last week. I drove both a Huracan and a 458 recently, and while they are great modern higher production supercars, I wanted something more iconic. So my final 3 cars ended up being a Ford GT, a Ferrari Boxer (which dropped out because of the combination of initial and maintenance expenditures), and a Ferrari Scuderia…..which was a step in the right direction towards something special but suffers from a “tweener” syndrome being bracketed by cars more special (CS & Speciale).

Over a 4 month period, I looked at 6-8 FGTs over a wide range of pricing. In the end, I bought a driver’s grade car over a museum piece, so there would be no guilt about treating it like a car. So here is the recap on buying my Ford GT.

Introduction

I am the new caretaker of 2005 FGT, a red 4 option car with approximately 29,000 miles (more on that below). Many thanks to the previous owner for being upfront about everything and a pleasure to work with. The car was not on the open market, so it gave both of us an opportunity to take our time without the added noise of tire kickers, scammers, low ballers, underfunded dreamers, the “my wife wouldn’t let me buy it” crowd and the like. And it was 8 miles away….perfect location. It is also a car that some buyers would dismiss based on the miles and a couple of stories.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade, so being accurate and thorough is my business. This recap will be long, and if it helps even a single new buyer, worthwhile.

The car has a couple of stories, but a thorough inspection indicates it’s a solid, honest car with nicks here and there reflective of a well enjoyed icon. My goal as a caretaker is to improve the car for future caretakers…..and have some fun.

The GT now shares a garage with my 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Stories

I’m one of those people that always wants to hear the bad news first, the glass is always half empty, that kind of thing. So the challenges always come first.

I don’t mind a car having stories if the origin, severity, and aftermath are verifiable in some way based on paperwork or by simple inspection. I got a huge discount on the Diablo (14%) that way because I did my homework and discovered the “accident” was a $6k stoplight bump. They’re cars, subject to real world stuff.

On the other hand, there have been cars I inquired about during this search where the dealer had no idea why the report indicated a car had an “accident history”, I steer clear of those situations as it’s pretty clear either they are trying to hide something, or too lazy to do their own homework . The pretty exterior of a GT can hide some ugliness below. This car has seen a few track days, which doesn’t bother me like it would a Ferrari.

The former owner told me the car had a previous minor incident before his ownership, so when I pulled the CarFax there was a blemish that referenced some damage (not an accident, which in the history reporting world is an important distinction). So you know just from that designation that no other cars were involved, no police report, no property damage, no tow truck.

I was told the car had a parking lot low speed bump with some obstruction. The splitter and the bottom lip of the bumper were cracked (both replaced). The very bottom of the radiator (which hadn’t been replaced – it was still working 10 years later) was pushed up slightly in one spot about ¼” right in the center indicating to my mechanic that it ran over some debris, the corner of a curb or possibly bumped a stud sticking up from a concrete parking bumper (the pushed up spot is pretty narrow) since the car sits 1” lower than stock. So clearly a minor event I was OK with since a flimsy radiator had just surface damage, not requiring immediate replacement.

The other story makes a case for why we should always have these cars on tenders and NOT jump them from other vehicles. When the former owner went to purchase the car, it had not run for months so the battery was dead…..the seller jumped it, and promptly blew out several gauges along with the odometer display. So the car has a full set of Speedhut gauges, which I am told was the solution of choice around 2012, before you could buy re-designed Auto Meter originals. The car went without an odometer display for almost 6 years (but the true mileage could be read from the OBD2 port so the CarFax always listed true mileage). The display was finally replaced in 2018, but required a control box and a trip to the dealer to activate it. So then the odometer started over, true miles are today about 28,500 give or take.

This won’t be an issue titling the car in Texas (anything over 10 years old can claim exempt from odometer reading with some details), but will turn into a reporting challenge the first time the odometer reading is less than before. I’ve already started a dialogue with CarFax how to handle it in the paperwork when that does happen.

VAF84, Robb, Elisesko and 4 others like this.
  2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Some Good Stuff

Alot of the cars I looked at during my search had modifications, some minor, some extensive. It made sense because I couldn’t comfortably afford museum pieces. And I was open to some level of modification, since the GT community at large are accepting of basic performance mods and they are inexpensive compared to other exotic platforms. Cheap horsepower, yeah. This car had several modifications that I would pay for, and a few I wouldn’t but am OK having if I didn’t feel like I paid for them (the value was right). And one I am in a love/hate relationship with.

Here is the list of mods:

Pulley, Tune, Accufab throttle body – ($2k) - I would have done this anyway, cheap reliable performance

Accufab X-Pipe exhaust ($2k installed) – Good sound I would have sprung for…and ceramic coated for a cooler engine bay

Moton full adjustable suspension – Pricey ($7k+, parts only), I wouldn’t have done it on my own….but damn this really adds to the handling, getting power to the pavement, and improving the stance (lowered 1”) so certainly don’t mind it.

Short Shifter – ($800) Yep, I would have paid for this

Transmission cooler – ($800) Yes, good piece of mind on 100 degree Texas days, Global warming Y’all

New head unit with back-up camera – Not my thing, but will need the camera if taking it to work (one of those dumb reverse parking only places)

Dress up appearance stuff – ($3k) Aluminum seat donuts, billet clamshell vents, a bunch of engine bay shiny aluminum parts with color match GT logos (Project 321)– looks good, but I wouldn’t buy these myself

Custom Leather interior with contrasting red stitching – This is the controversial one for me, I’m sure it cost like $10,000+ and its looks really nice (high grade leather obviously)…..but I could do without it to be honest….who knows, maybe I grow to love it

So about $7,000 in additions I would pay for, plus $10,000 in stuff I will like having.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84, Elisesko, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The Inspection

Getting an inspection is a must for me. Even if my Mom was selling me a car, I get an inspection (Mom has been known to tell a fib here and there). The GT world is kind of unique as there are GT experts who will travel to perform inspections (I spoke with both Rich Brooks & Kendall Pond at different times through my journey, both very knowledgeable and easy to talk to). In this case, as the car was local to me in the Houston suburbs I chose to contract the guy who has taken good care of my Diablo for 6 years. He has good motivation to be a little picky in verifying a solid car, because I would ***** to no end every time I took this car or the Diablo in for service if it was a lemon.

The other thing I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend is to go see the car you are buying in person after it gets a clean bill of health from your inspector. Plane flights most of the year are inexpensive, and these trips will help you feel better about the purchase. Plus you get to meet the seller in person to see if you really want to conduct business with them.

My mechanic (not a GT expert but services 4-5 of them) spent 3 hours going through everything. He found things he recommends be addressed immediately (radiators with coolers, tie rods ends, a small body issue, full fluid service, front tires (which I knew were aged out (2011)).

Other things of less importance included weatherstripping degradation in some spots, a CEL code for an air leak (emissions), codes for airbags (which might just need a reset since the recall was done recently), rear tires aging out next year, broken air box, a rock chip or 3, a couple of items needing new rubber boots, sub-woofer out of action (couldn’t care less).

The Test Drive

I had driven the car a few days before, and the owner kindly let the mechanic drive the car with me in shotgun. Here is another instance where the owner was so good to work with….a couple of other times, dealers were not going to allow an inspector to drive the car, or even myself until the purchase agreement was signed….not how I want to do business….I guess they are looking for noobs to buy these cars.

My mechanic checked everything, only legal in Mexico acceleration and speed, soft braking, head snapping hard braking, clutch slip checks, tight turns (praised the Motons), listening for odd noises….he said the driving dynamics were the best thing about the car. He also made sure the car tracked correctly further verifying how minor the damage 10 years before was.

VAF84, Elisesko, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    congrats! one of the last great analogue supercars. enjoy :D

5. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Enjoy it! It is a great car.

Joe

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nice write up! Your diligence seems to have avoided the Gas Monkey Garage examples out there and identified the practical issues. It's hard to believe that this is now a 15-year old car.

Enjoy in good health.

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Thanks for the write-up :) wonderful machine!

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks guys, here is the rest of the story......

The Value

The FGT market moves really fast and is all over the place…..basically from $200k to $450k. I looked really close at cars from 4k miles ($265k) to 84k miles ($190k), and decided on a car that has been driven 2k miles per year and with the minor verifiable stories could give me 100% of the GT experience for way less money.

So after some calm negotiation, I paid $182k.

But from a comparison point of view, I paid a lot less. A car 8 miles away saved me $6k in expenses versus a car 2,000 miles away, and this car already had $7k in modifications I wanted. So I really only paid $169k on a net basis.

For me, this was a good value…..the car is not a salvage, not in an accident, not ultra high miles.

VAF84, Zcobra1, Rbwiii and 8 others like this.
  9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Solid price! Yeah, the prices have been all over in recent years. For a car you're just going to drive and enjoy and not stick in a museum, I think that was a great price/choice.

BJK likes this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Nice find and write-up. 'Good' value? If the car proves to be solid, I would say 'great' value! Would love to read a 1,000? mile update.

BUT, are you sure it's a Ford GT? ;)

[​IMG]

11. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Congrats and enjoy!

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well it does have some sort of running horse on the front grill....

VAF84 and BJK like this.
  13. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Well bought Shark01 ! I have been following you on the fordgtforum. I am the blue / white stripe 2005, 8,500 mile car I just put up for sale. It's been a blast owning it since 2007, and just need to free up some space for a future C8 we are ordering. Enjoy the most trouble free performance car I have ever owned !

For any f/chat interest, it is a 3 option, 2 owner car I am asking $275k firm for. If you are the type that needs a discount, it is $300k make an offer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Waverunna, VAF84, Thecadster and 6 others like this.
  14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Congratulations! The last true Ford GT. Enjoy it!

15. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Congrats! After reading your write up. I would say well bought. In at a discount..out at a discount.
    If you bought a perfect car, it would depreciate heavily if you wanted to drive it as a relatively normal car.

I get the fact you're an engineer and picky. I manufacture aluminum ADA compliant handicap ramp systems for the state of Florida and everything has to be precise and to code. Great for winning concours....relationships...not so much ;) lol

Congrats again and enjoy it in good health!

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

VAF84 and Shark01 like this.
  16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Incredible garage pairing there with two iconic cars. Enjoy in good health!

Thecadster and Shark01 like this.
  17. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I never would have guessed your profession in a million years. Which car do you drive to see clients?

VAF84 and Shamile like this.
  18. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Back in the ol' days, I would drive my Diablo VT Roadster to the jobsite to sign off with the inspectors. Now, with commercial vehicle liability insurance a requirement to enter a construction project, I have to take my work F250 4x4s lol

Hey shark....got precision?

....soothing to the OCD afflicted ;) lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

19. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Congrats on a wonderful car!
    Th2005/2006 Ford GT , The Ferrari 458 and a couple of Porsches in between are the LAST on the almost analoque cars that you actually have to drive AND YOU CAN FIX THEM
    You know where I stand.....Shark enjoy the ride...…
    gtjoey1314
    P.S. Your car and previous owner is in both books.....".FORD GT THE COMPLETE OWNERS GUIDE "and "Around the world in a Ford GT almost!

Thecadster likes this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Joey, just ordered one of your books....look forward to getting it after the panic.

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    BMW.SauberF1Team and Thecadster like this.
  22. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    All the Tungsten's in Joey's Book is mine!

Joe

23. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    :) was the carbon bits from Kip Ewing? either way they are quality bits.
    Joe is right, a great time 2005/2006 which seems like a million years ago now.
    JOEA2 how you holding up?The island is getting crushed Kevin Sweeney got the virus BAD had a heart attack......should make it.
    Enjoy that GT theres nothing like it!
    gtjoey1314

24. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    Right now, I am driving my 720S Spider when I can.
    Stay safe.

Joe

25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Some of the pieces are Kips, particularly the center console stuff. Not shown in this picture is the center console side panels.

Enjoying the book so far, good stuff. Would like to see a how to buy and maintain a FGT book that you could partner with Rich on.