Dino door droop | FerrariChat

Dino door droop

Discussion in '206/246' started by 63acornwall, Feb 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 63acornwall

63acornwall Rookie

Sep 8, 2015
    I have been looking to buy a Dino and on a couple of the cars I have looked at the doors needed a definite slam to latch the lock . On closer inspection the doors seemed to droop a few mm at the back end where the lock carrier is , and had to be lifted slightly to make closing easy . I assume this is down to wear on the hinges ? One of the cars had less than 20 k miles so was a bit surprised by this and it obviously had not been used much , maybe the force of gravity over 50 tears ?

Is this common and is it cheap and easy to fix ?

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Very common even on low mileage cars. Over-sized door pins are available requiring a reaming of the hinges to fit the new pins. Not a big deal and certainly should not be a deal breaker. Besides the pins I have seen tons of cars with their latches out of adjustment. Again a super easy fix requiring just a little patience to get the striker on the door jamb in the correct position. They are Mercedes latches and when properly set the door should close like a vintage Benz.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Agree with everything Rob has said but beware of using stainless steel pins as these really need to be of the same material as the hinges i.e steel. The result will accelerate wear on the hinges being softer than stainless steel. Reaming out can only be done so many times.
    The wrong rubber seal around the door can cause the door to bind and require a liltte more effort to close shut.
    Tony

Nuvolari likes this.
  4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Note that the final adjustment of the doors are made by bending the hinges using the entire door as a breaker bar. Sounds crude and primitive but it works very well.

Best Peter

5. Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki Rookie

May 9, 2004
    Hate to say it, but my first new car purchase, a 1974 AMC Gremlin had the same problem, due to nylon hinge bushings drying out, cracking, and then falling apart.