458 - what is 10k service and what is post 2013 458? | FerrariChat

458 what is 10k service and what is post 2013 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by THE VATICANTS, Feb 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE VATICANTS

THE VATICANTS Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Hey gang ;)

I have 2 questions for you awesome owners out there for me to learn.

1:
    I'm dropping off my 458 Spider for 10k service. Is the 10k a "special" service? anything specific about that one? I know how reliable the 458 is and literally how "cheap" it is to maintain but I wanted to know if there's something specific about the 10k one and if I should check something specifically being done. My 458 is running with zero issues so far KNOCK ON WOOD and has never even had an error reading.

2:
    My understanding is that 2013 458s are different than previous ones? Something about ECU "upgrades" etc. I'd like to get educated. When I bought my 2013 the guy told me "good you bought 2013 and up". Why? What is different about ECU and anything else-if there is anything?

Thank you for your answers and resources!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #3 AlfistaPortoghese, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    That’s an easy one.

Two reasons:

1) Starting in 2012 (March?), Ferrari offered the free 7 year scheduled maintenance plan.

2) The urban legend that sporadic DCT sensor failures have something to do with model years alone.

Separating myth from empiric data:

a) Most DCT sensor failures happened in early production Californias, the first Ferrari to house the technology, not 458s, although 458s aren’t immune to failure, as neither Ferrari of the 2008-2015 period is (see below).

b) There’s no evidence post-2012 458s are more or less prone to DCT sensor failures.

c) There’s no evidence the 458 suffers more or less failures than other Ferraris, once there are reported cases in F12s and FFs as well, regardless of model year.

d) A DCT sensor failure isn’t the same as a transmission failure.

e) A DCT sensor failure nowadays doesn’t imply the overhaul of the entire transmission/gearbox.

f) Gearbox is manufactured by Getrag, not by Ferrari.

g) Gearbox fluid, deemed by Ferrari to last the whole life of the car and not needing maintenance, can and should be changed, the benefits being obvious in terms of longevity.

h) Heat is public enemy no.1

Once you’re a recent 458 owner and you’re trying to learn more about the car (I commend you for that!), it might be a good idea to check our master sticky thread concerning virtually all aspects of the 458;

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/most-458s-discussions.564954/

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. THE VATICANTS

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Awesome thank you for the info!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MotorInteractive

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Anytime! My pleasure. Glad I could help in some way. Keep enjoying that gorgeous 458 of yours in good health!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

6. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    the 458 is a very reliable car and there's no special service needed at 10k. Just regular fluid flushes and perhaps sparks, and these services can be done by indys for much less

7. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I just had an annual service done on my 2015 458 Italia with 10,025 on my 458’s odometer. It included engine oil and filter replacement, cabin/pollen filter replacement and replacement of the engine air filter.

It was done as a part of the seven-year maintenance plan, so I cannot offer any information on the cost. The previous annual service included a more comprehensive replacement of components and was done at approximately 7k miles one year earlier.

I also added an option out of the Ferrari Collection, the lighted “458 Italia” option for the under door ground lights. This projects “458 Italia” in lights on the ground, under the two doors when they are opened. That cost approx $700.00 including tax.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

THE VATICANTS likes this.
  8. THE VATICANTS

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    That’s awesome. Can you post a pic of the light projection. I would love to do that too maybe.

9. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    AlfistaPortoghese and Graz like this.
  10. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It’s not easy to get a good shot of the light projection since it’s on the ground, but here it is...

This option includes two light units and four sets of special lenses that project the image in the ground below the door when it is opened.

Another option is also available, a Prancing Horse motif if you prefer. Cheers!

P.S. I do not see a way to preview the photo before posting through the app, hopefully it comes through ok. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app