Cali T HS vs 488 | FerrariChat

Cali T HS vs 488

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Yumeoikake, Feb 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yumeoikake

Yumeoikake Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    Hey guys, previous Ferrari owner here looking for a different Ferrari. I wonder if someone can share some insights regarding how does Cali T HS compare to 488. I have driven the 488 but haven’t spent much time behind Cali T HS yet.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Compare? They don't.

One is a one and a half ton nimble mid engined sports car. The other is a two ton hector of a GT with 110 hp less than the former.

The Cali T is a very nice car and great GT. But if you think it's a real sports car like a 488, you're kidding yourself.
    It is for all intended purposes a GT and it feels like a GT.

Now here's the kicker in the 488's favour. As you are farmiliar with the 488, you are also farmiliar with its uncanny ability to be comfortable despite it being as good a sports car as it is. It simply boggles the mind how Ferrari manages to combine fast agility with such a high level of comfort. Personally, and this despite it being a mid engined sports car, I think the 488 is only surpassed by the Lusso in actual ride comfort once it settles down.
    The normal Cali T comes close, but the HS gets too harsh for my liking, especially as it's a GT. The Cali T is just that much more heavy, and it is also a lot more flexible in the chassis.

Unless you have a specific reason like kids in the back, can't afford the 488 or some other personal reason, I see no point in not choosing a 488 Spider. It's the better sports car and it still manages to drive and ride better than the Cali T HS.

Just my 02. Have about 5k km of experience in the T and a lot more in the 488S.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tfazio likes this.
  3. Yumeoikake

Yumeoikake Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    Thanks for sharing your opinion on this. I know those two are very different cars but was wondering if I would be just satisfied with Cali T HS to save some $$$ and wait for the F8 price to drop down. I will need to drive the Hs myself again to figure out but your insight is really helpful.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    As much as I love the Cali series. Go for the 488 Spider. The prices are getting great and the F8 is a LONG way off from that price range. Enjoy life now, don't wait for it to come to you.

PS: Look at the McLaren 600LT Spider. Test drive one and a 488 back to back.

5. Yumeoikake

Yumeoikake Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    Hey thanks for the advice. Your comment about 600LT triggered my interest so I might check it out. When I drove the 488 somehow I felt the car was missing something that excites me so that’s why I am a bit hesitated jumping in. As much as I would want a F8 but unfortunately depreciation is a concern for me.

6. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    The Cali T is a great car! BUT, the 488 is super spectacular in every conceivable category!!!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Here is how they compare in sound. I did this when they picked up my Cali T HS and dropped off my 488 Spider. I think the 488 Spider is the better car by a jugful. The car is more fun to drive and so much quicker. The Cali T HS isn't slow and the shift speed is great but the 488 is much more fun. I think the price difference for 488 Spider vs Cali T HS is probably over $100k.

8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    When I was looking to trade my Cali30 HS I started test driving all the available supercars…when I test drove the McLarens my jaw dropped. Ferrari and Lamborghini don't even remotely come close to the handling and acceleration characteristics thanks to the Monocell2 carbon fiber tub. Find a good dealer that will let you wring out a 600LT hard, you'll come away shaking while adrenaline. It helps too that the 600LT has the coolest factory exhaust out there as well.

9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    458 is a great options. Have you tried it?