2020 Barcelona Testng: Feb. 19th - 21st & Feb. 26th - 28th | Page 23 | FerrariChat

2020 Barcelona Testng: Feb. 19th - 21st & Feb. 26th - 28th

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We haven't heard from you for a while ...

Welcome back !

tifosi12 likes this.
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The pure hatred is literally oozing out of their posts. And the season hasn't even started yet. Unreal.

ktu and william like this.
  3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    So, how much money do you guys think mercedes gave the FIA to alow das? or do you believe it was just a threat to leave?

fil likes this.
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Neither, but i do beleive there are a lot of disgruntled ex SF personnel in the FIA who have a axe to grind. I find it rather strange that the system was effectively banned when the 2021 regulations were published in October last year knowing full well the system was "not in the spirit of the rules" Hence the ban!

Mercedes have played a better hand so it seems but when others try it on they are investigated and told to stop.

Bas, stavura, classic308 and 2 others like this.
  5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

It's a Tifosi forum ;)

6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..But some people never learn...

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    so does this Mercedes manufacturer team have a chance this year against the "garagistes" or is the board gonna shut em down for lack of results?

:)

Bas likes this.
  8. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Geneva Auto show just cancelled, let's get this Corona virus thing handled so we don't lose the F1 season!

9. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

FIA statement: "The FIA announces that, after thorough technical investigations, it has concluded its analysis of the operation of the Scuderia Ferrari Formula 1 Power Unit and reached a settlement with the team. The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties."

"FIA and Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve monitoring of all Formula 1 Power Units for forthcoming seasons as well as assist FIA in other regulatory duties in F1 and its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuel"

11. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’m willing to bet that Ferrari found a clever way of circumventing the rules that was probably legal but may have been in that gray area regarding the spirit of the rules, and because of the numerous complaints from the competitors Ferrari was told to stop using whatever loophole they found.

TonyL likes this.
  12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I
    My FIA interpretation - In other words - they were stopped using a system on their car that the FIA didn't like (no technical ruling given as far as I know), told to remove it, effectively scuppered any challenge to the 2019 WCC & WDC titles........then told SF, sorry can we talk about it now and possibly allow it but you must paint it a different colour so it looks like we won. You cannot make this up can you?

sorry didn't see post 561 but totally on the same page as you

classic308 likes this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Hope as part of the settlement Ferrari asked to keep using their system this year and get it banned only from next...

Bas, TifosiUSA, ingegnere and 4 others like this.
  14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The spirit of the rules for engines is not the same than for steering wheels, I suppose.

Anyway, that "settlement" looks quite ambiguous. It has some effect for the 2020 engine or they wouldn´t care to announce it as nobody gives a rat ass about the 2019 season.

375+ and TonyL like this.
  15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If we knew what the technical infringement was we could look at the 2021 regulations it's a dead cert its been banned!

16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Finding "loopholes" in F1 has been the history of F1.

If you ain't finding them, you're not trying hard enough.

This "settlement" is not a big deal.

17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Finding the next advantage is part of the game BUT

Respectively disagree, it is a big deal, pulling the rug from under your feet and then saying sorry I made a mistake is hardly sporting!

Consistent fair decisions are!

Best Regards

tony

18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Seems fuel flow related -
    The specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties.

"The FIA and Scuderia Ferrari have agreed to a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 power units for forthcoming championship seasons as well as assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels."

The wording of the statement is intriguing, as the FIA does not state that it found the power unit to have complied fully with the regulations.

The existence of a private settlement, and an agreement to help monitoring of power units going forward, suggests there may have been a trade off in terms of not taking the issue further.

Last year, a number of technical directives were issued to clarify what teams were and were not allowed to do with their sensors.

The issuing of these coincided with a period in the championship when Ferrari's straightline speed advantage was reduced.

In a bid to prevent teams from circumventing the rules, the FIA has introduced a second fuel-flow sensor for 2020.

19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I wont hold my breath for a technical directive / clarification on its definition for steering for 2020.

fil, Bas and 375+ like this.
  20. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Exactly.

Bas likes this.
  21. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol the Brit F1 media will no doubt be frothing at the mouth as a result of this but if Merc had done it it would be "hats off to those chaps, always pushing the limit!"

fil, Tackleberry, ingegnere and 4 others like this.
  22. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Will.

I did a quick scan read, I say quick because the usual suspects made that job a lot easier, with more of the same.

I'll see how it goes, its a bit like this bloody coronavirus, I reckon that is going to have a good job in spoiling things.

In all seriousness I do not know how the teams are going to cope with this epidemic, it must be a logistical nightmare.

23. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'd have never have guessed ;)

24. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Absolutely this!

TifosiUSA, furoni, stavura and 2 others like this.