Power steering noise? | FerrariChat

Power steering noise?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by JLF, Feb 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    #1 JLF, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Hey guys a couple of days ago my power steering started making noise when I would turn the steering wheel left or right. The fluid in the reservoir looked like it was full of air ie. very foamy. I put more fluid in and today jacked front of car up and turned wheels lock to lock at least 20 times. There was no noise. Put the car back on the ground and there is noise when steering again. Any ideas what may be causing this? The noise sounds like low fluid or air in the lines but the fluid isn’t low.
    Isn’t the bleeding procedure to simply turn wheel lock to lock several times?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Section E - Steering is very brief. Nothing on bleeding either. What kind of fluid are you using?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I've attached Section E, but you might need to rotate the document after opening it.

Attached Files:

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The foaming is a symptom of air in the system. Look for a leak, either around the pump or the steering rack.

4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thank you. Wade. Thorn no spots on the garage floor, shouldn’t I expect to see that?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Not necessarily. Look for wet "spots" (basically, a darker color) around the hoses/connections, reservoir, possible the boots on the rack. There could also be an inner leak in the rack. Sometimes it looks merely like dirty, oily debris on the pump.

6. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    When you get air in hydraulics you will find the fluid level will rise, the entrained air increases the volumn in the system. If you can find the return line to the tank, disconnect and extend pipe into a container. Also blank off the return connection on the tank. With front wheels off the floor you can turn the wheels left to right and see if all the air comes out. Keep filling the tank. If the air comes back then you must have a leak somewhere

8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Probably a loose hose fitting, with air being sucked in, a low pressure vacuum leak it would be called, look on the return side.

10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009