348 - ECU Codes behavior | FerrariChat

348 ECU Codes behavior

Discussion in '348/355' started by Fguy, Feb 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    After changing spark plugs and applying Stabilant2 to all of the ignition wires, the rough idle was corrected at least while engine running in the garage. After several days I decided to take the car out for a test run: the ECU lights for both banks of cylinders came on during the run; what was so strange is that after pulling the codes both banks showed the same identical series of codes: 4121 - 1211 - 1121, all related to the Lambda probe, catalytic converter temperature and RPM. I can understand the RPM sensor error because the engine was not running while pulling the codes. My question: is this really possible or is it a strange coincidence of both banks. No codes were present prior the change of spark plugs.

Your input will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Is it Stabilant 22 you used? Did you apply it on the spark plug wires or only on the connectors?

Stabilant 22 enhances contacts in switches, contactors etc. In the case of the spark plug wire connectors, it will not do anything as these conduct some 50,000 volts which do not really need improved conductivity through the HT cable connectors.

If you applied the Stabilant along the spark plug wires (over the insulation), it may cause leaks of the high tension to the ground or between the wires.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Doubt its a coincidence, its probably related not sure how. Easy check. Pull the wires, spray them with MAF cleaner put back on when dry, reset ecu and see if it happens again with no Stabilant.

4. Pangea

Pangea Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Nick
    If you have not done it already I would clear the codes and do an ECU reset. See if the codes reappear after that.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus

7. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    Applied Stabilant only to the contact points at both ends of the ignition wires. Actually the engine was running wonderfully smooth afterwards. Regardless of the high voltage through the wires, a good electrical connection is essential... it fixed the rough idle problem!

8. Fguy

Fguy Karting

Oct 4, 2011
    Sarasota, Fl
    Full Name:
    Julian Angus
    I cleared the codes on both ECUs but did not go through the complete ECU reset. Today things are looking much better: ran the engine for ten minutes in my garage and no lights came on. Will know more when I take the car out. Thanks.