Disconnecting washer bottle | FerrariChat

Disconnecting washer bottle

Discussion in '308/328' started by kidryno, Feb 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I’m looking to disconnect and clean out the windshield washer bottle on my 83 QV. Any tips on removing the pump from the bottle without damaging either component?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I've only done it when replacing the pump, and damage was a necessary evil of the task.

If you're only wishing to clean it all, there's not really a need to disassemble.

3. kidryno

kidryno Karting

Dec 22, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks. Just thought it would be easier to clean separate from the car. Appreciate the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't remember exactly how, but the pump comes off the tank without damaging either.

5. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do not remove the pump, it will be almost impossible to put it back. There’s a clip like ring that’s holding the pump in place to keep it from coming out. If you pull the pump out, how are you going to hold the clip inside the washer bottle while pushing the pump against the plastic bottle? So if you don’t have to remove it, don’t

6. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just unplug the wire and tube and clean it as one unit on the bench

Sent from my SM-N920I using FerrariChat.com mobile app

kidryno likes this.
  7. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can separate it from the car just unplug the electrical wire and the hose

kidryno likes this.
  8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Perhaps there are different types. As I said, I don't recall the details and I'm away from my car so I can't check, but there was nothing particularly difficult about removing the pump and reinstalling it. I did that because the seal was leaking slightly and I wanted to fix it. For sure, there was no clip on mine, 85 QV.

9. trs666

trs666 Karting

Apr 17, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Tommi S.
    Johnk, my 85 QV is also leaking in the seal between pump and container. Did you find a source for the seal or used silicone or something. Superformance only sells complete assembly with pump and bottle.
    ///TRS

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The pump used is IDENTICAL to that used in a 2001 Jeep Cherokee (not "Grand Cherokee") and is very inexpensive.

To remove my old corroded pump, I chose to saw it off thereby destroying it. I don’t really see how you could remove it without cutting. I had no real trouble installing the new pump but unfortunately do not recall the details.

Here is a thread that covers the topic:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/washer-motor-removal.318268/

11. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is what I was talking about on post #5 How are you going to hold the spring clip/washer inside the bottle while you push the pump in?

12. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Read through the above mentioned post. I did this nine years ago and the spring clip is still secure.

Two methods of attaching the pump

1. If the pump has a barb and rubber grommet, just drill out the washer reservoir hole and use a friction fit.

2. To install the clip. Measure if the barb needs to be removed. Once you get the right diameter, you find a tool such as a socket that can be pushed against the clip while allowing the washer pump end to come forward. Next position the spring clip on the end of the pump. If you trim the end a bit smaller than the clip it is easier to get started. I think I used a pair of long, needle nosed pliers to hold and start the clip

Next thing is to push the clip into its final position To accomplish this you can use a magnet to hold the socket. Lower it in and line it up. Next, take a screw driver and wedge it between the reservoir plastic and the socket. This is tricky because you have to hold the reservoir and pump as well as position the magnet/socket assembly and hold the screwdriver. The idea is to use the edge of the reservoir as an anchor point and use the screwdriver as a lever.

Read the post and look at the pictures. It’s all detailed there. Honestly, I’d use the drilled hole and rubber grommet method if I did it again. But I do like to challenge myself and I knew I could figure out a way to get that spring clip back on the new pump.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

miketuason likes this.