430 - Flat bedding an F430 | FerrariChat

430 Flat bedding an F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Feb 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Ok. If everything goes well I should be picking up my new to me F430 on Monday. There is a 25% chance I may have to have it flat-bedded home about 40 miles if I can’t get the insurance sorted in time or my driver can’t get away from work.

Are their any tips if I do need to get it flat-bedded to tell the driver about putting it on the bed and tying it down? It will be whomever AAA uses in my area.

I’m still pretty confident I won’t need the flatbed, but making plans just in case.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Check with your current auto insurance ..I believe they cover it temporarily... so what I am saying if you have current insurance in other cars when you buy another car it is automatically temp covered ...but please check with your insurance and if covered for how much etc

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Manda racing likes this.
  3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Allstate won’t cover a F430. The original sticker is too high even though the car is 11 years old. So I’m working on alternative insurance. Just hope to have it all done before I can pickup the car.

The bigger concern is a driver who will take me to pick it up, drive me over to the closest Motor Vehicles to register it and get plates. Not sure my son can drive me and most of my friends are still working.

So the backup plan of a flat-bed is for either the insurance isn’t finished or a driver isn’t available. I guess if it’s just the driver problem, I could also just drive the F430 home before rush hour and take an Uber back to grab my daily driver at the previous owners house. So I guess I have a plan C also...

Cheers,
    Corey

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you need me just pm me

Also I use American modern home

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

vinny84 likes this.
  5. vinny84

vinny84 Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2008
    PA
    Full Name:
    Vince
    I second American Modern insurance. Good rates too

6. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    I would look into a set of very shallow angle, very long ramps to get the nose onto the flat bed. Will probably scrape or face plant without them.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I don't think I have time for that. Maybe I'll rip a couple sheets of 3/4" plywood into a ramp to drive on, I can bevel the edge on my table saw. Do you think that would work? Might be something useful to keep around just incase I need it in the future anyway...

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Lots of low cars out there and have been for a lot of years. It's been over 20 years since I have seen a flatbed operator not familiar and equipped to load and tow a low car. 360/430 is not difficult to load. The nose is not that low or the overhang that long.

On top of that telling someone from the outset how to do their job is not the key to getting good and careful service.

Dewinator and Manda racing like this.
  9. driller1

driller1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #9 driller1, Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Id suggest if at all possible to drive car home. Another option would be to contact nearest high end car dealership to see if they work with a company that regularly loads/tows high end cars and has drivers that aren't named Bubba.
    My experience with tow truck drivers has been exactly the opposite of Rifledriver's. They scratch their heads and either don't want to help or they come up with crazy extended ramp ideas that are at the least very risky to damage rocker panels or bottom of front fascia and/or fender.
    I have 7 cars insured with Hegarty, and they have guaranteed agreed value coverage and " cherished salvage" where in the event of a total loss I could keep car without having to pay a dime for the salvage value. I Highly recommend them.

10. rudkinjc

rudkinjc Rookie

Apr 27, 2019
    Jacksonville Fl
    Full Name:
    Joe C Rudkin II
    Make sure you have to tow hook and it screws in okay. Call a local shop that repairs Ferrari's, Moderati's or other high end cars that ride low and find out who they use for towing. Call that tow company and pay them the money to tow it. Don't trust AAA to send out a competent tow truck driver.

driller1 likes this.
  11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would not use just any AAA tow truck guy if you can avoid it .. or try to find someone that can recommend a good flat bed company I know around here there are a couple .. ..like was said any high end dealer or service place would know who is good...

vinny84 likes this.
  12. van22

van22 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2005
    Absecon Island, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    VAN C
    I just flatbedded mine from the Hamptons to the jersey shore. I cut a 12' 2x10 into 4 pieces and staggered 2 on each side and worked perfect. make sure you have the tow hook I used it and it takes a while to screw in. lol it has alot of thread

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Well didn’t need the flatbed. Drove it home then went back via Uber to get my other car.

I’ll post pics and more tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Corey

rudkinjc likes this.