458/488 Dyno | FerrariChat

458/488 Dyno

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AlfistaPortoghese, Feb 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi everyone,

Last year at the mandatory yearly inspection of my 458 (the equivalent of the MOT test in my country), the inspector on duty was a car enthusiast and a great guy, and the told me that they measured the horsepower of my car.

He said the machine’s default target for the 458 was 570, mine scored 575.8.

Do other 458/488 owners have put their cars on a dyno and measured horsepower? Do you have any results/stories in this regard?

I was quite happy. My car, being a 2011, I thought it may have lost a couple of horsepower through the years because that’s what naturally happens, to an extent. Wasn’t expecting the 575.8 mark at all.

I heard that a good break in period when the car is new may get you extra horsepower, and I’ve also heard it does not, the difference in horsepower being random within a certain degree of deviation from the norm at the factory.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That is a nice result, but most probably a "computed" one - because the engine power figure cannot really be measured when the engine is in the car (if one measures the power at a rear wheel, a lot of power has been lost in the gearbox and transmission, so a "correction" is applied to come close to an engine power but the accurracy is always questionable IMHO). It could be a good indication for comparison though, if cars of the same type are benchmarked.

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Plus so many variables ..machine , air temp air humidity et.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    What was the dyno make and what kind of air/fan is blown into the intakes. The latter is hardest to simulate for the 458/488 due to the high compression ratio of the engine in order for the engine to perform optimally. Most dynos seem to underrate the HP at higher revs for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    You can dyno your car one day then dyno it again the following week and see some different numbers.

Dynoing a car is meant to get a stock baseline, add a mod or tune right then same day and see where there are changes in the power band

Viperjoe likes this.