360 variator sensor | FerrariChat

360 variator sensor

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Aj360, Feb 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Hey guys just thought would ask about changing the variator sensor? What’s the common sign of one being bad ? My car threw this code ages ago but hasn’t come back since the belts and timing was done
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    You will consistently get an error. If you had one error and then a service and nothing, don't bother worrying. I actually had a 360 variator failure in many many years. Not to say it doesn't happen, it is just not an issue these days. I know early one in the car life I changed a lot of them. Looks like the new ones are working well.

Aj360 likes this.
  3. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Hey mate yeah that code came up ages ago my guy said the variators were done mines a 2000 model .. how ever man he was saying maybe time to change the variator sensors on either side could be the reason it threw that code up .. no engine lights no check message just starts and runs .. thought I would ask pick some brains .. i know there was some kinda problems with the early ones as you said but never heard anyone changing the variator

4. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Yes, early on, we changed a lot of variators, if your's have been changed then you should just drive it. I haven't changed any sensors for failure. Leaking oil, yes, but not in a long time. While I don't speak for everyone, this is just my experiences. I don't recommend spending money on things that are not an issue. With these cars, there is always plenty of money to be spent. No need coming up with new things to spend money on that are not needed.

Aj360 likes this.
  5. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    100% bro instead I just went bought the challenge tcu and a full challenge body kit flogged the capristo and got a good deal on the 430 muffler ;) I am just one those ocd car people everything needs to be covered but am going to take your advice and when it’s all finished with the new parts I got going to enjoy it :)