Need pricing opinion ! | FerrariChat

Need pricing opinion !

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by gsxr_fvr, Feb 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gsxr_fvr

gsxr_fvr Karting

Nov 24, 2016
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hey Guy's
    I need to decide between the two cars listed below. Just wondering which one majority will go with.

1st: 2011 Red on Black (High mileage high options) - I was amazed how well it drove despite mileage
    26000 miles
    Carbon buckets
    Carbon steering led
    Carbon everywhere
    Well maintained and drives amazing

2nd: 2012 Red on Black (Low mileage low options)
    14000 miles
    No options

2012 low options low mileage is $20000 more

Thanks

2. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Have both been serviced by dealers each and every year? Service record and how well they have been taken care of would be the difference maker for me......(not milege).
    My first 458 was not taken care of (lots of issues), traded it in for one that had all its records and have never had an issue since.

3. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    If you plan on keeping the car and actually driving it, buy the 2011. A no-option car seems silly considering the price. And 26k miles is really nothing in terms of life of the car. But the higher miles will reduce the resale value and pool of potential buyers. So many people seem to buy these cars to look pretty now and sell easily to the next owner. If you have the money just buy what you want and enjoy it!! Ask me how I know!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. gsxr_fvr

gsxr_fvr Karting

Nov 24, 2016
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks guys.
    Yes stack of service history will definitely help. I’ll need to check that.

5. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I wouldn't worry about mileage until it hits 70k or more...

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    ONLY the 2012 !!!!

First years (2010-1011) have far more technical problems !

7. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can you clarify what the problems are on the pre 2012 458? When I did my research the only difference I found was that they changed the exhaust mapping to eliminate the popping during deceleration - which some people did not like the re-mapping of the exhaust.

Personally, I like well optioned cars. I can tell a 458 that was purchased "bare bones". I went with a 2011 vs a 2013. The 2011 only had 7500 miles, had race seats, carbon fiber package, PPF, and custom rims. Side by side, it was a much better looking car.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the 2011 all day.

wthensler likes this.
  9. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    How can you tell a 458 was purchased bare bones? What are the obvious tell tale signs? I saw one that was bare bones and had everything added after.... Only main sign was the led steering wheel stitching wasn't same color as the seat stitching.

10. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Added afterwards or purchased with options - does not really matter. When looking at used 458s I could tell that the owner / owners did not do anything to make the car special (stock rims, no factory options, no PPF, no carbon fiber etc). Nothing wrong with these cars - just not what I would want. When I purchased my 458 (third owner) it came with CF, PPF, racing seats, the lights on the steering wheel, and custom wheels. These items do not do a thing for performance but it does make the car look better (my opinion).

When looking to trade my 430 for a 458, I was not specifically looking for any of these options - I was looking for a good quality used car, a place willing to make a fair deal and a good looking car. I was in the same postion as the person who posted this thread. A 2013 with 15K miles no options or a 2011 with 7K miles with the options listed above. I chose the 2011 and saved $11K. Just a nicer car.

11. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Seems the 2011 is a no-brainer.

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In this situation I'd agree - it's a benefit to have a newer car, but if it comes at a significantly higher price with significantly less equipment it does not appear as a good deal.
    Also 26,000 miles is not awfully high for a 9 years old car; as mentioned maintenance record is paramount but it's also true for a 14000 miles car.

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    that is one strange sentence...

pizzadude and OSUferrari like this.
  14. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    2011 If you buy Carbonparts later it cost More.and its Not OEM

15. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Please give us the actual asking prices on both cars.

16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

OMG , all those miles . I hope it wasn’t driven in the rain too.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  17. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    To me 26,000 miles doesn’t seem high at all. I would say that’s a good number actually. You aren’t paying a premium for super low miles but still low enough that you can put a few 1000 on it a year and still be good.

18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Miles cannot realy be the issue imo, are we drivers or polishers ?

As of the 2012, the gearbox was enhanced because of a lot of (electrical) faults like in the California.

Knowing this would let me decide for the 2012.

gsxr_fvr likes this.
  19. gsxr_fvr

gsxr_fvr Karting

Nov 24, 2016
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks for feedback everyone. I've passed on that deal. That one just wasn't meant to be
    But i've read the 2012+ being more reliable cars quite a few times on this forum now. Might be some merit to that.

20. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I wouldnt want a bare bone car, even a 2015 with 3k miles. You have to see it feel it everytime u drive it, and all it reminds you is what you could have gotten. It's a lot of time and money adding everything after the fact: carbon options, PPF, paint correction etc. and eats away the fun. And low mileage cars tend to depreciate more as you drive it vs something with higher miles that's already depreciated. It's so not worth the premium. It's a ferrari, get what you want. The 458 is one of the most reliable models to put miles on