Haas could quit F1 at the end of 2020. | FerrariChat

Haas could quit F1 at the end of 2020.

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    His Airfix dream is coming to an end. No shock.

F2003-GA likes this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Super Aguri! Bring them back!

IMO this is the boss telling his people to get their crap together, including the drivers.

DGPF and F2003-GA like this.
  4. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Haas has been unhappy with it for a while now. Them bailing out is a foregone conclusion at this point.

kylec, F2003-GA and TheMayor like this.
  5. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    They keep the very drivers that cost them a chunk of points and money year over year and develop a **** car. I wouldn't be surprised if they bounce.

DGPF, Hocakes, kylec and 2 others like this.
  6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    No idea why they even participate. No loss if they go. Sadly, F1 has always been like this. It’s a snake pit in there and only the fittest survive. Haas has never been in that group and never will be. Just look at their driver pairing - absolutely dreadful. If they were taking F1 seriously, their approach would be very different but this cut price bargain basement approach isn’t going to deliver.

DGPF likes this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

All the same, I will be sorry to see them go, for the only reason they are the only US F1 team since ... Penske perhaps, or is it Beatrice ?.
    Also I am wondering if someone will buy the team, or if it will fold completely.
    F1 needs 10 teams on the grid, and could even do with a couple more, IMO.
    I though Gene Haas' business model of outsourcing most of the hardware would work; it didn't.

8. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    I think their driver lineup let them down more than the business model. Gros/Mag share the lion’s share of the blame. The car was very competitive at points during the past seasons and the drivers often bungled the opportunities.

9. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I saw the writing on the wall when they rehired those two. The car was bad last year, but not on the consistent level of bad as the drivers.

DGPF likes this.
  10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The report is not a shock. Haas was/is not a long term racing in F1 operation. This was a marketing experiment. I can see him leaving if the new budget and rules yield similar results for his team.

I can see other teams leaving if the new rules/budget are not optimal overall.

Good luck Liberty lol :)

11. Barbedwyre

Barbedwyre Karting

Jan 21, 2018
    At the minimum... Grosjean had to go... The car was bad last year but the year before, was almost 100% the drivers. If you're going to go out of F1 at least give a kid some visibility and an opportunity.

DGPF and Ryan... like this.
  12. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    I think everyone was shocked when they rehired Grosjean, they should've made a hard push for some of the available talent last offseason.

I think it would be a shame if they dropped out now, the field could change up quite a bit with the new regs, and I'd hate to see them drop out before that.

13. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It is funny - Haas says as much on ‘Drive to Survive’. If I recall, it is the last clip of the show that focuses on Haas.

And like everyone above: it’s not a surprise. And likely the F1 stint hasn’t paid great business dividends overseas.