Would I like driving an F355? | FerrariChat

Would I like driving an F355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Julia, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Because I think I would, but a seller of one just told me he didn't think I would like driving it, because the clutch and steering effort would be too high.

What say ye?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Isn't it the first small Ferrari with power steering ? Its a while since I drove one so cannot recall clutch effort

3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    What we say doesn't really matter too much. There's only one way for you to find out and you already know what it is. The steering effort wasn't too difficult in my opinion; the clutch can be a bit stiff depending if it's stop and go or not but I've also heard they're pretty light when the clutch is replaced. Ultimately you know what's too high for you.

When I first drove a 355 I thought it was boring and not very eventful due to the stock exhaust. However, thanks to Youtube videos I knew how different of a car it was once that's opened up and it's almost another car.

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I do not remember the clutch effort needed on a 355 (without F1 gearbox) - which at least means it was not blatantly hard to manage - but the 355 has power steering so that steering is not an issue (even without power steering, a testarossa is only slightly annoying at very low speeds; as soon as the car is moving, the fact there is not much weight on the front helps).
    But to really know how you feel about it, I guess you need to drive one.

5. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Thanks. I'm trying! I never asked to drive one before, because I wasn't serious about buying one yet.

6. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    My 110 lb. wife drives our 355 with no more difficulty or effort than our new Mazda so the steering and clutch effort are not issues at all.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Julia like this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Clutch in my 95 is a little heavy. Power steering is light. Basically, if you are just touring it's like driving a BMW of about the dame vintage with a balky shifter.

Julia likes this.
  8. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Clutch is easy like a Honda... gearbox is best Ferrari has made. It’s even better than the 360 which came after.

steering is also easy peasy.

pretty much the perfect Ferrari. When you visit AZ give me a call...

Robb

Mmckee, INTMD8, jimmym and 3 others like this.
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Hi Robb,

Seems like we have very different cars. My clutch, while not leg breaking heavy, is certainly the heaviest of any car I have owned except maybe my'69 Z28 with competition clutch. It's been that way for 7 years/10k miles, and obviously was like that for the previous owner. No indication that the clutch was ever worked on and the PPI reported that all was in good condition.

The other thing I would point out, on a 95, is that the throttle can be a little sticky at the start of its travel you have to and get used to it. It's smooth as silk when the engine is off but when running, coming off of idle there is a little extra effort required when depressing the accelerator that can lead to a lack of smoothness with low RPM gear changes until you get used to it. This seems different in different cars (of the 95 model year). There have been a number of fixes reported. One included changing the linkage, which I have not tried. All the others don't seem to do much. I believe that this is just a design issue with the extra effect associated with cracking open the throttle bodies against full engine vacuum, but that's just an opinion. But it's the only thing I can see that changes with the engine running or off.

10. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    He’s crazy. My 348 with twin disc clutch and manual steering maybe... but my 355 was like driving butter, smooth as silk. Power steering and a light clutch it almost shifted itself. If it’s anything other than that I’d say there’s something wrong with the car.

jimmym and Julia like this.
  11. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Perhaps its best that I didn't drive this one. :)

Robb likes this.
  12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    You need to drive one make your own desision.

Wade, Julia, Yassa and 1 other person like this.
  13. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I find it harder to get in and out of the 355 (without putting pressure on the seat bolsters) than driving it!

audi_328, johnk..., Yassa and 2 others like this.
  14. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I'm thinking John might have an issue with his car?
    My clutch and steering are super easy and light like Robb's and 05elise's etc. my only complaint is I wish the steering ratio was tighter.
    My throttle is perfect, no sticking. I literally couldn't imagine it any better.

GerryD, INTMD8 and Robb like this.
  15. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Not too much effort, obviously.

Clutch = slightly heavier than a BMW, nowhere near the effort of a racing clutch. Engagement point and smoothness of engagement depends on adjustments and life of clutch left.
    Steering = lighter than my Miata. The power steering is very assisted. Ferrari has carried this forward through at least the F430 (haven't driven anything newer)

As emac mentioned, getting in and out is more challenging than a standard road car. The doors are huge and you need a large parking spot. Also, if you're tall or have big feet you may have issues (depending on my shoes, I sometimes hit my toes on an HVAC vent). But those are all minor inconveniences that add character!

Just get one

Robb likes this.
  16. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I won’t ever get a leg workout from driving my cars - 355 included... 355 challenge included.

They seem rediculously close to a very light clutch. That being said, I don’t own any Honda’s

Is it as light as the Willy’s Jeep rubber band feel I learned to drive stick on in the army... no

Is it as heavy as an 80’s corvette? Absolutely no where close.

I’m ok driving the 355 in rush hour traffic if I happen to get stuck in that but that can get old like any stick shift.

So only answer is to get seat time with your local FCA members that you can buy dinner for... :D or you can use some frequent flier miles for a visit to AZ.

Robb

GerryD likes this.
  17. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #17 Robb, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    I do agree with the sticky throttle cable that’s needs tweaking and WD-40 from time to time.

But bottom line to Julia is yes you would enjoy driving any variant of 355. They are definitely one of the easiest sports cars to drive this side of a PDK boxster or 911 and every aspect of the drive is an event and extremely fun. Not as many creature comforts or tech as today’s P-cars but that’s not why anyone would go for a 355...

Robb

Sami likes this.
  18. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Mine is a 95, I have the updated throttle linkage and it’s silky smooth hot or cold.
    I have a brand new Valeo OEM clutch and pressure plate, new flywheel and HE throw out bearing. The clutch pedal is not soft but not stiff. Just right. I wouldn’t say it’s Honda passenger car light but it’s almost identical to my Honda S2000 in clutch feel. The steering is too light as others have said. It’s a very easy car to drive. Seats are comfortable too.

308 GTB and Robb like this.
  19. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I have that same on/off feel of the throttle right at the start. Used to it now, but I know exactly what you mean. Can someone elaborate on the updated linkage?

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Julia, there’s a Monaco Blue 360 for sale in the classifieds... I know you love that color. It’s out of Dallas. I can also confirm 360’s as very fun drives.

Robb

Julia likes this.
  21. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    +1

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, I've wondered about that since I got the car but 1) The car was serviced exclusively by Ferrari dealers by previous owners. There are no records of any clutch work so I'm guessing it original and there was never a problem reported. 2) The car had a complete major at a well know independent shop, not the seller, which I had contact with during the major. That shop reported to me that the clutch was fine. Then car was then given an extensive PPI and test drive by an authorized Ferrari dealer before closing the deal. Said dealer also indicated the clutch was fine. 3) It has behaved the same since I bought the car in 2013, 10k miles ago. I would suspect that if there was a problem it would have revealed itself by now. Anyway, I can't compare it to other 355s as the only guys I know who own ones have F1s.

But as light as a Honda (or my older Porsche Boxster) it ain't.

With regards to the throttle, it's a well know problem with many 95s. Some do, some don't. It's mainly apparent if you have to get off the gas when in 1st or 2nd and then when you get back on it there is a little lurch forward. Mainly an issue in traffic.

None of this detracts from the driving experience though.

23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The left is original and the right is the updated one, it prevents the sticky throttle. The angle is changed. The part numbers both old and new are shown. You can also separate the part and re weld it with the new angle.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion, Kokose7en, Robb and 2 others like this.
  24. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

Well-said. My 355 Challenge (Challenge clutch/PP/flywheel) clutch pedal effort is comparable to my 996TT which is significantly lighter than 996/997 GT3/RS.

Power steering is light for me. I had PS hoses disconnected recently to test out manual steering feel and effort. Sold! PS is off. Improved steering feel and less weight. Win-win.

Shifter: not balky at all especially once warmed up. Not quite rifle bolt action like 996/7 Cup shifter (or S2000 shifter) but still precise-feeling with less effort and among the best of gated shifters I’ve driven.

Robb likes this.
  25. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    [​IMG]

FWIW: not wanting to hijack OP thread, but I thought this issue was only on 1995 and 1996 cars and/or 2.7 versions, but I have found that the older style lever 161826 was used thru the 1997 model year up to assembly number 28137. the newer lever, 175234, was installed on cars from assembly number 28138.

Qavion likes this.