NJ inspection sticker question | FerrariChat

NJ inspection sticker question

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by CoreyNJ, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    OK, so my F430 doesn’t have an inspection sticker. I’m going to be naive here and think that the previous owner didn’t want to make the windshield look ugly and just risked the ticket. Before I head over to the DMV inspection station tomorrow, does anyone know if there is some sort of special inspection process like there is for QQ vehicles where you don’t get that ugly sticker in the window?

Thanks,
    Corey

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think it's a $500 fine if you get stopped WO one. Think the officer will beleive "I was actually on my way to get it done ossifer."
    My 99 Suburban is old enough not to require an inspection.

Have a look but I think an F430 is out of luck.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/inspection/exemptinsp.htm
    https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehicles/collector_fact_sheet.pdf

Good luck. :)

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Here ya go. copied off the NJ site.

I *believe* this is the penalty for no inspection sticker : 39:8-1 Failure to have inspection $130
    I dont believe your car is exempted.

BTW: lots of local auto shops can do the emissions test (only thing required in NJ as of now for 1996+ cars via OBD connector) for a set fee. I've usually seen $90

Exempted Vehicles
    Certain vehicles are exempt from inspections, but they do vary, so be sure to check what is required for yours.

The following vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements (N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2):

• Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.
    • Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
    • Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more.
    • Historic motor vehicles
    • Approved Collector Vehicles which are less than 25 years old
    • 100% Electric vehicles
    • Motorcycles
    • Motorized bicycles
    • Farm tractors and traction equipment
    • Farm machinery and implements
    • Fire trucks having a GVWR of more than 8,500 pounds
    • In-transit construction equipment
    • All Diesel-fueled motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 pounds to 17,999 that are plated commercial. The owner or lessee is required to inspected these vehicles.
    • All diesel powered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 to 17,999 that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
    • All diesel powered vehicles model year 1996 and older that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
    • Omnibuses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s Commercial Bus Inspection and Investigation Unit
    • School buses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s School Bus Inspection Unit
    • Tactical military vehicles operated on Federal installations within this State
    collector vehicle.
    • Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $25 to renew. You must provide the approval letter from the MVC I/M Support to the excemption
    • agency when initially applying collector vehicle status. The approval letter is not required for renewal.
    • Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
    For voucher renewal:

• Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for renewal. The initial approval letter is not required to renew.
    • Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading

4. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did your car come from a state that doesn’t do inspections? Florida?

5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Nope. New Jersey, same state as me. Car passed a PPI so it will pass inspection unless the technician doesn’t believe me that you can only see the catalytic converter from above. They are setup with a camera that the car is driven over to make sure that you didn’t remove them which obviously won’t work for a Ferrari. I have heard this can be a problem depending on who you get at the inspection station.

Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wait ... this car is missing it's catalytic converters?

7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Well car passed inspection... The only issue is they couldn't find the Gross Vehicle Weight on any of the decals, so google helped there....

staatsof likes this.
  8. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Corey, you might consider another option whereby you never have to get your car inspected again. In NJ they have “collector status” vehicle registration. If you go on the DMV website you’ll find the guidelines to obtain this status. I have it for both my 360 and 458. Check it out.

colorfull likes this.
  9. Fast Poke

Fast Poke Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 31, 2019
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This sounds great! my new vehicle inspection is coming to an end soon. I checked the requirements so far & I think it should pass for this.. just wondering if you or anyone else knows exactly what they would consider a limited production vehicle and if an FF would be part of that or not.

10. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I think they consider just about any Ferrari a limited production vehicle when you compare it to the masses. Find out how many FFs were made in your exact color interior/exterior choices and that would in all likelihood narrow the number down. Also has to fulfill the mileage guidelines etc.

Fast Poke likes this.
  11. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    OK found this website.
    https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/collectveh.htm

So this means a 5 year inspection and only the "collectible decal", which I hope is less ugly than the standard inspection sticker? Besides that what else are the benefits?

Thanks,
    Corey

12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Good morning Corey, it’s still a decal (triangular) and in view. The big advantage is that you don’t have to ever get the car inspected. You have to renew in 5 years by paying a small fee. You know the State of New Jersey must get their due every so often ;).

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    OK, when this virus thing is over, I'll take a look at this.

14. Hobacks427

Hobacks427 Karting

Nov 2, 2014
    North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Another point of view: I have my 430 inspected by an independent shop who specializes in high end/exotic cars. They take good care and don't mess anything up in doing the removal and re-installation of the sticker. Would prefer not to have a sticker, but to me it's not worth running around without one and the process is non-invasive except for the sticker.

For me, I wouldn't do anything at the state inspection stations.....

Pretty much all that's required is a scan for emissions related codes and that's it to the "inspection".

Little Joe and Linton13 like this.
  15. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Graz - Who gave you the letter for the 458? I am in the same boat I want to get my 458 setup for collector status here in NJ. I qualify for everything but just need the 458 letter from the manufacturer, recognized car club, etc.

"All applicants must submit evidence from either the manufacturer, a recognized car club (on letterhead) or collector organization that the vehicle applying for Collector Vehicle Status was issued in a limited-edition quantity or that a limited quantity of the original production run remains."

Thanks

16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    PM sent

rdefabri and F430 Driver like this.
  17. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Collector cars are technically limited to drive for shows or service.
    Just pay $70 for a private garage to handle. Even a Ferrari Dealer as I believe it's a regulated rate. With private dealers, they can flag any issues to you if any, plus the stickers are good for an extra year (? not sure but you can google). Oh, I'm a Jersey guy too.

18. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    yes took mine to private garage first but it failed for fuel system not ready. Would never take to public inspection. Tried clearing codes and driving miles to reset codes but no luck. Car was fine, just OBD readings were faulty and random. Took a two week stint at dealer to figure it out with Ferrari NA why various OBD readers would give out different readings consecutively.

eventually had to flash ECU with clean factory firmware to get all OBD to readout same codes. Car was fine then. Car passed at private garage inspection. Good for two years only. Just trying to avoid this in the decades to come in case any quirks arise. Car driven under the maximum miles annually so would qualify for collector status

19. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Any chance you can share how you got the letter via PM?

I would love this!!!!!

Thank you