The F50 Thread | Page 89 | FerrariChat

The F50 Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by amenasce, Dec 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    The bloodline evolves over time, if not, it will cease to exist. I appreciate the romanticism associated with the statement, because I absolutely love the brand, it’s heritage, and cars. However, Ferrari has and will continue to evolve, and they will do it by leveraging the past while harnessing technology as a mechanism for advancement. First came the turbos, then the automatic gear boxes, then the hybrids, and one day, perhaps pure electric.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BJK likes this.
  2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    I actually think this is a very important discussion to have for all owners, enthusiast and fans of the marque - I am fascinated to see how the automotive world changes in the next 10 year and how it affects the ownership and running of combustion engine cars.

I want to hear everyone's opinion as it will set the foundation for ownership of our old cars in future years - F50's very much included. As Rossocorsa1 says this is a big debate and probably warrants its own dedicated thread.

One thing is for sure there is no "perhaps" when it comes to pure electric or hydrogen cars, it's going to happening and it will be law soon.
    the UK Government has already announced.....
    "The U.K. government wants to end the sale of new diesel and petrol (gasoline) cars by the year 2035, also including hybrid vehicles."
    There is a lot of talk that this date will be brought forward to 2032.

So we may have one more special Ferrari that has a hybrid engine, then I believe it's the end of the line for the combustion engine, even as the back-up in a hybrid vehicle.

Now this is just my opinion, when that happens is the end of the bloodline and a new all electric bloodline beings, that is the evolution, the combustion engine is extinct and the new electric/hydrogen world starts it evolution (you know i think that already started with the hybrid LaFerrari, but that's just me ;)).

I think the "brand" evolves over time, if not, it will cease to exist - i think the bloodline can end and with the imminent extinction of the petrol engine, the dawn is rapidly setting on that particular lineage, then the new animal in town takes over.

As for modern Ferraris I care very little, the last one the got me excited was the 458 Speciale, the brand is evolving for sure, but the new stuff is not for me anymore :(

again just an aging petrolheads opinion

plastique999 and Pis7a2020 like this.
  3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    IMO less than 10 have all 5.

BJK likes this.
  4. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    And 30 plus have the 4 excluding the LaFerrari, would you say that is a reasonable assumption Joe?

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.

Mark.

I'll take the blame for causing this off-topic excursion by opening the door for it when I said "Delivery of F50 104746 which we sold to a Southern California gentleman @ 7 years ago, he still has the car, and we sourced him a 288 GTO and F40 as well" thus bringing up the other cars which then lead to a discussion about the evolution of the Supercar genre. We have to try and stay on-topic or next thing we know some of you will be discussing religion & politics (!) and the thread suffers.

Let's focus on F50s and I think the thread will remain a valuable resource and interesting venue.

AtSomePoint likes this.
  6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Modulo_B, NürScud, Pis7a2020 and 2 others like this.
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    No, rather than assume, based on tracking the cars over the years from the perspective of my business, I'd say an educated estimation would be closer to 15.

275GTB and BJK like this.
  11. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    great to know thank you

12. FCD

FCD Karting

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    #105781 on the road ✌️

13. Gabriel Turner

Feb 25, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Gabriel Turner
    I’ve been intrigued for a while now after seeing the auction result from 2018 but does anyone know anything about #104799??
    The accident and milage but what was she repaired like etc? Serious value for money when it sold even considering what happened

14. F Cars

F Cars Rookie

Apr 12, 2016
    San Francisco, CA
    Does anyone know why the carbon on driver's side airbox / intake plenum discolors more than the other two pieces (center and passenger side) of the intake? I've seen in on many of the F50s with this occurrence, including mine which is a much less pristine example. The discoloration also seems to be on the top of the intake rather than the underside. I'm guessing its due to light exposure rather than heat but that doesn't explain why the other two pieces aren't affected - but I'm just guessing.

joe sackey likes this.
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Very interesting observation, thanks for sharing, perhaps someone has the answer.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. iohead

iohead Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    More heat is being dealt with within the driver side of the engine bay: the oil radiator, the pipe from the heat exchanger to the water radiator tank, the oil/water pump, and the AC compressor are all on the left.

joe sackey and Prancing 12 like this.
  17. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    that makes a lot of sense, the oil radiator is cooled by the left hand air intake and fan, and the AC evaporator on the right hand side - the oil radiator has to generate a lot more heat.

I have an infrared thermometer i will try to take some reading off a car that has been on a run, see what the differences are.

I would love to get one of those thermal imaging cameras to really see what the effects of the heat are like in different areas of the engine bay, and see how much heat soak moves up to the air intake chambers - this would be a really cool experiment.

here is an example on a mercedes engine......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

flash32 likes this.
  18. Jeffrey Volkert

Mar 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Volkert
    Hi, Looking to purchase in USA F50 Thank You! 330 493-6000

19. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi Joe, here is a similar part number plate that we looked at earlier, photographed on an F50 for sale at Girardo & Co - this time that part number is for a non-USA spec front bumper, but it also is dated. Also note it is a different manufacturer name "by ATR" whereas the rear engine cover plates we found were manufactured by "Monfrini".

Could it be the front bumpers were outsourced to ATR and the rear covers to Monfrini - a bit more investigation is needed?

Also what do you think of the car for sale here, described by the vendor as "Quite simply, this is the best condition F50 in the world!" bold statement for a car with a complete straight through aftermarket exhaust system, with no silencer anywhere. That would not get road registered in the UK as it sits.

You would have thought after a 250,000 euro restoration they would have cleaned the rust and old paint off the key.

https://www.girardo.com/car/1996-ferrari-f50-0/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud and joe sackey like this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I haven't inspected this car so I can't draw any conclusions, that said, some of the images speak to question their bold claim.

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It's missing both the Emissions Control System Data Label and the V.E.C Label that go on the top of the rear passenger side wheel arch. Some may consider this a minor thing, but it is indicative of the attention to detail that that should be expected of a platinum level restoration.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not a US car.

Lemacc likes this.
  23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Got it

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Or at least a statement that the original exhaust comes with the car. A complete exhaust with all its supports and brackets ect for F50 is very difficult to find and when you do it is eye wateringly expensive.

275GTB likes this.