488 - Sport Vs Race mode | FerrariChat

488 Sport Vs Race mode

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by scott61, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Been driving in Sport mode since getting car since cold temps. I understand from searching Race mode gives you quicker shifts? Also saw something about it changing sound? First thing i did after getting car was have dealer unplug vacuum lines to keep valves open. Does Race mode have any effect on ESC? After owning a bunch of AWD cars I'm still getting use to having a powerful RWD car so don't want to be that guy in a video. Would like the quicker shifts though, found them quicker in my Huracan and would like to be closer to that. TIA

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Certainly, the Race mode (or the manettino position in general) effects the ESC - I think Race is mainly relaxing the traction control part. It also makes the suspension firmer (although this could be reversed with the "bumpy mode").
    Race mode (or a further mode) is recommended for track use, and is more adapted for a "focussed" driving.

scott61 likes this.
  3. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Thanks, I don't plan on going past Race mode. Manual even states just Race mode should only be used on track, but seems many use it for all around driving. So my big thing is how it effects traction?

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I drive around in CT Off all the time. I might put it in Race mode in heavy rain. The car has side-slip control to save your bacon, looping the car in Race would surely be hard. However, in CT Off you do have to be capable of counter steering. CT Off has never interfered unless it was really needed. I'm not sure why you'd ever turn traction full off unless you were wanting to drift.

I would encourage you to give Race a try. I think you'll enjoy it.

SVR, Pis7a2020, Melvok and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Love the Race mode! I go to sport mode when I get in heavy traffic...other than that....Race!!!

scott61 likes this.
  6. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    scott61 and Mighty Joe like this.
  7. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Race 100% of the time. (For me at least)

scott61, Pis7a2020 and Avia11 like this.
  8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    In my 458 race mode does not automatically upshift at the limit but will in sport mode.

Also the exhaust baffles will open at 3,000 rpm in race mode and 5,000 rpm in sport mode.

AlfistaPortoghese and scott61 like this.
  9. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Let’s just say it’s a little more playful, however, I have never had anything really adverse occur. The electronic nannies still prevent the car from murdering you.

It’s fun, you should try it. All the cool kids are doing it

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

scott61 likes this.
  10. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    That's the way it was in my huracan, sport mode would shift for you at redline but not in race. Anyone know if 488 is same as 458? As far as baffles go I disconnected vacuum lines to keep open. Seems the consensus here is to drive in Race, temps are warming up here so will give it a try

11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My manetino is permanently in RACE. Gas guzzling mode it should be called, I get about 8mpg but who cares, that's the mode the car is meant to be driven in at a minimum. You can definitely lose the backend if you accelerate hard out of a turn and even on a straight if your tires are not warmed up. Wait until the tires are warmed up before any hard acceleration.

OSUferrari and PhilNotHill like this.
  12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Tires need to be 120F.

wrs likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Ferrari's system is different from your usual high end car traction and stability system. Most others are designed to stop something bad from happening. Ferrari's is designed to allow you to have the most fun. That means you should use the appropriate mode for the appropriate setting. In general, if its raining, you really should use the Wet mode. You can still slide the car around in wet, as long as it senses you are not being really abrupt with your inputs. Sport mode is basically the normal or even if you might like to call it "comfort" mode for the car. Then Race is kind of like Sport mode. CT off is more of a track mode, but if you are adapt with car control then you can use it on the street, and then you have everything off, which I would not advise. In general, these systems work really well. But they depend on you to select the right mode for the right setting.

From memory the Manettino affects the following systems:

* Throttle sensitivity

* Engine mapping (so, yes Race will use more fuel than Wet)

* SCM (those are the electro-magnetic shocks, usually there are 3 levels of stiffness, usually stiffest in Race, CT Off, ESC Off, medium stiffness in Sport, and loosest in Wet- can be brought to loosest with bumpy road mode- BUT!! It seems to me via various driving experience over many years, this system is adaptive, so if you have it in bumpy road mode, and are driving aggressively in Race, it seems like it is firming up the shocks as you need it!)

* F1-DC (how aggressive the dual clutch transmission gets, this usually maxes out in Race, CT Off, ESC Off)

* F1-TRAC- this is predictive traction control. The car literally makes a 3D real time physics model of what it thinks of the road grip conditions and it then attempts to predict milliseconds before it happens, the grip levels. This is set to its most lenient in Race, I think CT and ESC off disable this system.

* E-Diff- how aggressive the diff goes for shifting power side to side in order to help you around a bend. I think its most aggressive is in CT and ESC Off.

*ABS- level of ABS intervention, this is always on, but at its most lenient (I think) in CT and ESC OFF

All of this stuff is really advanced, and I always marvel at brilliance of Ferrari's Manettino as an interface, its pretty simple and you just turn it clockwise to make it more aggressive. Its very well calibrated. All you have to do is pick the right mode.

14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Race mode/Bumpy road setting unless raining.

15. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    To increase throttle sensitivity I installed a Pedalbox Plus, I know they don't add any power but they make car much more fun to drive. Have been using them and before Pedalbox the Sprintbooster for over 10 years. Even on my 800+HP Huracan it felt sluggish when I would shut it off. And with Race changing mapping does that mean quicker shifts?

16. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Just turn it to race and try yourself.
    It’s not “killer”, “murder”, “slide to wall” mode, only race. it’s only 3rd from 5, or 2nd from 4 in dry weather. Even below the middle. It’s VERY safety. Too safety for word “race”.

17. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Im not sure if they are quicker or crisper feeling, but there should be some difference in feel.

scott61 likes this.
  18. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My advise (coming from someone who has gone so far as to remove all nannies), learn to drive you car without traction controls, but not on the street. Find an empty parking lot (office parks on weekends are perfect), and set up your own little course. I made suction cup flags and turn of the traction control and let it rip. You might slide a little (but learning how to bring the car back under control is what is fun), but you will learn what the car and you are capable of. Driving a Ferrari with the nannies on (I mean no insult) is a waste of a car, and if you are that afraid of the car or your skill, go to a drivers school. It will help you better enjoy your car.

SVR, Caeruleus11 and scott61 like this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I definitely recommend driving school. That is your best way. The problem with many office parking lots- not enough room to really slide your car around. At least not around here. Ferrari's Corso Pilota is absolutely first rate and very much worth it!

https://drivingcourses.ferrari.com/en/driving-course

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I picked up my 458 spider from Algar Thursday (the somewhat lack of winter around here gave me a reason to take it early) plugged in my Openflash tuner and let it go with brand new tires even. It was sliding around a little, but I sort of drive to induce that. I also had my modified AMG GTS out and that thing just loves to wag its tail, I can see why that thing scared owners. I am certainly no spring chicken (all my mental skills are still there the physical ones have lost a bit), but I see no logical (remember what I am) reason to own a sports cars if you drive it the way you would drive a S Class. You have no idea what you are missing (yes cars are tinker toys to me just another # on my list. it is 484 now), until you let loose of the fear of something happening to your car. I could never own something I was too afraid to use for its purpose. I have know many people who are that way and if that is the way you are, go buy a 911 C4S, that thing makes everyone look like an pro driver. Even with everything off it takes real effort (and I mean effort) to upset that thing.

SVR and mdrums like this.