308 GTB SN34389 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

308 GTB SN34389

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Nov 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    When you'll strip the interior, you will be able to see what was the colour at the origine because, the full frame was paint. I think about behind the vertical backseat carpet for example. if you look carefully inside the door, you also can see if the red is everywhere like the pictures you posted seem to suggest.
    Anyway, if you take off the dashboard, under, you will have the paint.
    Unless the colour change was very high level, there must be the original colour.
    There is an other place where the paint is original is inside the tail light compartment...

If you take picture of the car next week, please send us also the body number, that would be interesting to know. Thank you!

2. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
  3. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Another interesting thing is it would appear the engine has never been stripped down, the tech who is doing the restoration has worked in Ferrari's his whole life and he seems to think the engine hasn't been opened. What was more good news is the heads came off very easily, apparently this can be a problem on 308 motors sometimes.

The entire engine should be stripped completely this week, will go back and get more pictures. I will also be meeting the body shop contractor this week, apparently he believes he can fix everything which is incorrect, I really want to try avoid getting new panels.

Another thing I will be posting a lot of pictures, to me this car has only ever been red....I'd be interested in the thoughts here re this based on the pictures.

4. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    From what I can see, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was originally black. There are parts that should have been red if the car was originally ...
    Have you seen the body number stamps on the doors, or both front and rear lid ?

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    For example? I assume, you refer to the section under the dashboard?

Best
    Martin

6. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    exactly, and also these one:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I was wondering about that but assumed that those areas were painted black originally....I am trying to push the factory to give some sort of finality in respect of the colour.

8. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wow. this is going to take an extreme amount of metal fabrication to put this girl right. (and deep pockets) kudos to you for saving her. Please keep the pictures coming! :)

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Sadly yes, this is not going to be a very inexpensive exercise but fortunately we do have some good metal fabricators fairly close at hand. The other thing which is interesting is the seats, believed to be original, they are black and definitely not tan as per what the factory says they were meant to be.

A lot of the body does look worse than it actually is, the structure is fundamentally sound but some of the "repair" work has in fact done more harm than good. At least the engine seems to be ok....

308 milano likes this.
  10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Someone has levered off that one head before (assuming the shop didn’t do this when taking it apart.)

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Possibly when it was removed. Another 308 down here had a engine rebuild the motor seized and the car itself sat around for quite a number of years (in fact the rebuild of this one is documented on F Chat) and those heads were very, very difficult to get off.

12. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    I just wanted to say that I think this thread is awesome, and thank you for sharing what I would call a resurrection more so than a restoration! Very cool.

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Pleasure, I am going to try and visit the car more often. I want to have a look at the body numbers and see what those are. The stripping down is the exciting part what is following is a meeting with the body shop to see how we are going to strip the paint. Does anyone have any pictures of part assembled 308's in the factory? I am also trying to run down this cars South African history.

The remains of the wiring loom have been sent to Italy where a brand new loom is being made up. As soon as there is clarity of the interior colour combination the carpets and leather will be ordered from Luppi (a rather extravagant indulgence it has to be said).

At the moment we are looking at a timescale of around 2 years for the restoration/resurrection.

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    This week received definitive confirmation that the car left the factory as "Vernice Nero", which my limited Italian suggest is gloss black. Factory has also confirmed that the interior is supposed to be beige or "Pelle"

Body is going to the body shop for stripping next week, I have some more body pictures to post.

The interesting thing is we took paint off the doors and all sorts of different panels and did not find any black so clearly at some point this car has a very comprehensive re spray.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  15. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    when I looked at this only photo of one door, it doesn't seem to be fully red inside, do you have any other pictures ?

[​IMG]

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    This gets even more interesting. Apparently the car was originally ordered for a RHD market, the car was apparently built the an order was received from a LHD market and it would appear that the car was put back on the line. There is a delay of around 21+ days between the date the car was completed the date the car was actually shipped.

There is then another delay of around months before the car arrived in South Africa so again there are some interesting "holes" in the history as I don't believe it would take 5 months to ship a car to SA nor do I believe it was "dealer stock" as for all purposes there was not really a formal Ferrari dealer in SA at the time which actually carried stock. Whoever sprayed the car did in my opinion a very good job!

Lots of speculation but pieces are starting to fall into place slowly.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Regarding the RHD and LHD if you're implying Ferrari built the car then took it apart, cut all the firewall structure out for the controls, changed the cowl for the wiper mechanism, changed the floor structure and tub to convert it back to the other side I say no way. Thats a massive undertaking just on a bare shell to sell one cookie cutter 308 in the eyes of the factory.

If Ferrari says its a black RHD car with no evidence of black I would suggest a clerical error is more likely.

18. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I would agree with you and this back and forth with Ferrari will probably continue for quite some time I suspect. I have the exact date production of the car started, the completion and the shipping date, there is about 3 weeks in between production and shipping which seems to be very long. The other explanation is there was a clerical error in the documentation which was not corrected at any stage.

At this stage it looks like we will probably take it back to Factory spec, being black.

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I still don't believe in the black colour. One thing I NEVER heard from an Italian in 50 years was "sorry I made a mistake". Even the warm beer, served by an italian pizza baker recently was excellent in his opinion :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

JuLiTrO likes this.
  20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Just throwing this out there... regardless of the car's original delivered color, what color do you want it to be now? Paint it that color.

21. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Looks like after backwards and forwards pre the factory closing the definitively answer seems to be Nero. The car is likely to go back to that colour but will be easier to make that call when there is more clarity as to how much work the body needs.

One thing I am looking at is where to source parts, there are all the usual UK suppliers but for this I would like to cast the net a bit wider to get a better idea of overall pricing. Any suggestions? Mostly looking at things like shocks (hoping to re furbish these in SA if possible), suspension bits.

22. TripleBlack

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    A good supplier is Dino part:

http://www.dinoparts.eu/EN/ferrari-308-gtb-gts/home/

A bit more expensive than UK's but with a better quality.

Otherwise, you should ask first to Maranello Parts for OEM:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/search?searchCategoryID=0&searchManufacturerID=1&searchSpecialOffers=False&searchVehicleID=139&searchClearance=False&inStock=False&withPhotos=False&page=7&searchConditionIds%5B0%5D=0&searchConditionIds%5B1%5D=0&searchConditionIds%5B2%5D=0&searchConditionIds%5B3%5D=0

There's many in US, even if you're looking for part that are not specific to the US market car, you should also take a look at them.