Shocks other than Koni or QA1 | FerrariChat

Shocks other than Koni or QA1

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jasonious, Mar 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Hello Everyone

Since I have my car in the air, I have been considering options to replace the 40+ year old shocks and springs. I am quite familiar with the Koni's and have read all of the threads I could regarding the QA1 solution and agree they are both viable and affordable options.

I notice now that there are European parts outfits in Germany and Italy that sell Bilstein B16 (adjustable) and B14 (non adjustable) solutions for the 308 at semi-reasonable prices. Has anyone fit these to their car? I am specificly considering the B14 option with spring rates of 60 N/mm front and 50 N/mm rear, although 60 front and 60 rear has also been recommended.

Is the current thought still that a *GTB* should have a different rate front to back?

I know in the past that that was the norm, but I also see from factory literature that the GTB's, at least, came with the same rate front to back.

Looking for opinions!

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    You don't cite your motive for the change. If its just time related, you might consider just getting your factory Koni shocks tested first.

I just had my shocks tested on a shock dyno and was very surprised to learn that they performed as well as new shocks: no performance degradation after 37 years. I'm just putting them back on the car (with custom lower spring perches to lower the car a little bit).

thorn and Thomas Magnum like this.
  3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  4. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I just reached out to KW USA - I was looking at their V2 or V3 model. They will ask you to do a competition build. They would not share a ballpark price. I am more inclined to go with Intrax out of The Netherlands. HotShoe and a couple others on here have them and I am probably going this direction. They have an add on feature called ARC that prevents body roll without over springing the car.

QA1 or Koni Rebuild is probably $1500 - 2K all in.

A good suspension is $3-5K

Very expensive real competition level is probably more like $10K (like penske or real race stuff). This is an expensive hobby...

5. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I've have good luck with Bilstein and Eibach combinations in the past and the Bilstein solution for non adjustables is 2.5K all in shipped to your door, so not much of a stretch over the Koni rebuild.

Curious about the expierience, if any, others have had with them on their 308's and also curious what the new recommended spring rate combination is or if if it's not changed in the past few years. Does 60N/mm 50N/mm sound good or should it be 60 front and back?

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Do a search on Gaz shocks here in the UK. I might get some so can call about a group buy if others are interested. External shock adjustment and adjustable height.

7. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    I used Spax and have been pleased. Direct replacement with no crazy mods. I have my oem Konis packed away.

8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Give True Choice a call. 888-566-4722 ask for the Koni Racing Services. They can rebuild your Koni's with threaded sleeves so that you can adjust the ride height.

9. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Any specific guidence on spring rates? Does 60N/mm 50N/mm sound good or would 60 front and back be better?

10. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    +308
    I had shocks and springs made by them and shipped out to Oz - still cheaper than getting the Konis rebuilt, or even QA-1's. Mine are a little soft for my liking, but they could have been specced harder - we were sort of guessing where to set them at the time. I think I had the second set ever made for a 308 (Andy had the first)

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The older I get the less interested I am in these "upgrades"

As I type this, just to my left are two boxes containing STOCK springs and (as close as I can get to ) STOCK shocks for my Alfa Spider. I'm undoing all the things I thought was cool when I was 25.

syata, Nuno Andrade, hyenahf and 3 others like this.
  12. Jasonious

Jasonious Rookie

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I went with the Bilstien B14 with 60 N/mm front and back. I'll give a report once I install them. Hey, if Bilstein were good enough for Carlo Facetti, should be good enough for me! :)

13. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Nick Forza sells Alden Eagle. in and out and hight adjusable
    They make a set specially for the 308 for a very reasonble price.

14. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    ive had koni classics, koni reds, koni yellows, and bilsteins over the years, the stock spica dampers are simply wonderful... they are hard to find new these days. im pulling out the hot motor and dialing back suspension since i dont track the car anymore

Dr Tommy Cosgrove likes this.