Ferrari short seller claims exclusivity is over and Ferrari doomed | FerrariChat

Ferrari short seller claims exclusivity is over and Ferrari doomed

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F430 Driver, Mar 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you agree with the author of the article that exclusivity is over for Ferrari?

1. I disagree with the author & think the days of Ferrari exclusivity are still alive and well!

76 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. I agree with the author and think exclusivity & the brand are sliding.

108 vote(s)
    58.7%
  1. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Saw this article posted just now. I don't agree with the author of the article and some of the short thesis he asserts here are things I posted against his arguments in his previous short recommendation for Ferrari where he predicts gloom and doom for the brand and that it's over for Ferrari.

I still see the brand doing very well and while not every single car will be a homerun from my perspective their offerings are as exciting as ever.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4329572-short-ferrari-part-ii-ferrari-vs-bugatti-why-exclusivity-for-ferrari-is-over

14RE458 and paulchua like this.
  2. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This author is really gunning for ferrari, its actually a bit weird tbh, he clearly has nothing better to do, he should get a life still ferrari is not as exclusive but who cares, cars still the best out there and you can't knock a guy for trying to make cash, we all did it or we wouldn't be here!
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F456M and RBen like this.
  3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    IMHO, there are some objectively sensible observations in there, particularly around the general saturation of the luxury/exotics market especially when every manufacturer has shown to be upping their output of "limited editions", from Bugatti to Ferrari. And I agree this is just the beginning of the decline, not just for Ferrari, but all mainstream exotic car manufacturers as they continue to over-saturate the market.

He made a hasty generalization about how chinese ppl / asian ppl in asia prefer to be driven, this is true and false because the culture of being chauffeured pertains only to the daily commute because traffic is just insanity in Asia (Thailand, China, Indonesia, Phillipines etc all stupid bad). Having a driver is a norm, even middle-class people have at least 1 driver; back home in Indonesia a well-to-do household will have at least 3-4 drivers per household to drive each family member around. But this has gradually and continue to change with the copycat economies of western Über/Lyft/Postmates etc in the likes of Grab, Go, Didi etc Now more and more people are less reliant on even being driven to destinations for services and wares, they just have people deliver them to their door. In China or anywhere in asia really, you can even have someone come to the house to do your nails and hair or deliver 1 bag of potato chips for 1 US buck.

Beyond the daily commute though, there are still a select folks who still love to have a spirited jaunt behind the wheel on the weekends when traffic is not insane. With that said, it's becoming more and more evident that the the car hobbyist community is shrinking with every passing year. And in Asia, the time when a nice car is a status symbol of wealth and stature is gradually waning...more and more people don't care and as more care less, people who once did care and got into it for status will also move away from spending on a car. The "new money" I know in Asia enjoy theor wealth on mostly "well-being" and home. "Old money" can only float the market for so long...

greg328, RKZ841, rbryson and 8 others like this.
  4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ferrari stock will decline once we have a deep recession. It will not significantly decline for any of the reasons he states (I will allow for the coronavirus argument but that affects all high end cars, so duuuuh).

Booker, paulchua and F430 Driver like this.
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Not sure I agree with his methodology. An increase for sale on auto trader shows owners selling their cars on the used market. If this shows that owners who WOULD buy new cars don't have the money to transact the purchase of the new car.. (doesn't say that in the article) then I'd agree. As it is, Ferrari sells NEW cars and there is no indication that the demand for NEW Ferraris is diminishing at all. They make money on NEW cars sold. Once the entire production allocation isn't sold, or 90% of it, then I'll buy the brand is diluted.

I'm 360 Canuck and F430 Driver like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The brand is definatly not as exclusive as it once was. Lots of used product available on the market for the price of a mid range BMW.

As production numbers increase..the amount of cars available on the secondary market increases. Almost every used car lot has some sort of Ferrari or exotic in thier showroom. Not even 20 years ago..people wouldn't even know where to purchase a used ferrari..they were still very exclusive, and still expensive. Now? Just another ****box with a big price tag.

7. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    That would be the case no matter what. 20 years ago is 20 years. Let's say the production was just 7000 a year like Luca wanted. so say the last 10 years 7000 cars and 10 before that 4000 average. That is 110,000 more Ferrari's out in the wild. The guy buying the mid-range BMW priced Ferrari is owning an older higher mile Ferrari with far less power, performance, and technology to a current or modern Ferrari. Different buyers completely.

Having used examples of cars in the wild doesn't kill exclusivity when brand new dealer cars are holding price, in numbers and desired by clientele. If you want the latest and greatest specced out to your exact liking then you are ordering a bespoke car. If you want an old 328, Testarossa, 360 then sure you can spend much less but you get what you pay for.

As far as exclusive I live in Central NJ. Plenty of affluent areas around me. Each year I can count on one hand the number of Mclaren's, Ferrari's and Lambos I see on the public roads (excluding car shows). So from my perspective, these cars are really not commonplace at this point. These cars are rolling out of the showrooms at 200k to 500k or more. While plenty of people to soak up 9,000 cars those are spread across the world. In the USA you are talking about maybe 100 new cars per state on average at best. Not exactly dime a dozen.

So sure by virtue of time the brand can NEVER be as exclusive as it was. It was more exclusive in its first 5 years as a company. Less the next 5. Even less the next 5. And so on and so on. Every car produced is another car on the road. But exclusivity is relative....

14RE458, Themaven and Texas Forever like this.
  8. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Drive around Newport Beach, CA. On any given day, you will see a bunch of Ferrari’s. And Bentley, Aston, Lamborghini, etc. They are a dime a dozen out here.

rbryson, DGPF, blvckintl and 2 others like this.
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sure, but I would guess that NBC is atypical due to the wealth and great weather. I can go months without seeing another exotic here in DFW, unless I'm at either at an FCA or Boardwalk event...T

I'm 360 Canuck and arkferrari like this.
  10. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    how is that different from ten years ago? It’s not. Newport isn’t the entire world or every state or country. Bubble areas exist

11. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    With the level of profitability Ferrari runs at they can lose half their market and survive. The amount of steel, plastic and rubber that goes into a car is the same for all manufacturers. Ferrari uses the same steel and many of the same suppliers as Fiat. Ferrari also has a huge ace in the hole in that they don't have to spend millions a year advertising.

12. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    great point. Go drive around in a Mclaren and people ask what is that. You tell them it’s a McLaren and they say what’s that? Tell them it’s a Ferrari and you won’t find one person to say what’s that? Doesn’t happen. Ferrari is number one brand in the world. Not just in autos. In all categories and industries. That’s powerful in my experience. Almost zero advertising marketing spend vs other auto companies

I'm 360 Canuck, RBen, stavura and 4 others like this.
  13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think they are second behined coca cola..following Ferrari I beloved Apple is next?

14. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    regan_ev and Themaven like this.
  15. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    Hello everyone - I'm new to the forum, but a long term Ferrari owner and enthusiast.
    I must admit there is some rationale and truth in the authors comments. In my opinion, Ferrari seems to be producing far too many cars and models - which in any financial climate (up or down turn) can be problem for a such a brand.
    Ultimately it is a business and it's all about the bottom line. However, Ferrari must not forget the reason they ended up in such an enviable position (they haven't always made the best cars) but there was always a real passion in their motors and brand.
    Today, almost all manufacturers make a 'good car' - some faster, others prettier and all have a special 1 of some number edition model - but a Ferrari, is Ferrari! I (and their dealers) hope that remains the case!

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    brandfinance is like JD power.....

make up your own ******** and sell it

Mbutner and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    In the United States, demand for new Ferraris tends to follow real estate, particularly home, prices. If real estate prices are holding or going up, people feel good about luxury spending. Today, a $1MM cash-out mortgage will only cost you about $35,000 a year. So, yeah, go ahead and buy whatever before you get old and die.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i refi'd late last year 30 3.75%

just checked with my broker now 3%

buy em

GuyIncognito and Texas Forever like this.
  19. mikegr

mikegr Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    Europe
    Corona virus will hit hard Ferrari sales and exclusivity will return.

Vladislav Pochuev likes this.
  20. F430 Driver

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Yes Coronageddon shall make everything very exclusive soon....

Vladislav Pochuev likes this.
  21. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I'll take three dozen, please. :)

stavura, kes7u, Dom and 1 other person like this.
  22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    All Ferraris, or would you like an assortment? :D

23. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If I sat on the BofD of a company that made exclusively ICE cars, the two items of advice I would offer management would be to sell as many cars as possible that were already in the manufacturing pipeline. And, get into electric vehicles ASAP, possibly a JV.

The future is just too damn murky for me to offer anything else.

BTW, I have served on boards that do nothing more than rubber stamp management. The auto world is in an all hands on deck situation requiring bright minds and bold thinking.

tbakowsky, m5shiv and Texas Forever like this.
  24. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    it's different than 30 years ago. An exotic was a rare sight. Now it's fairly common.

DGPF and Dom like this.
  25. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Do they make or lose money from F1?
    advertising by another name...