Checking the Oil Level on the FF | FerrariChat

Checking the Oil Level on the FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Nospinzone, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Shortly after I bought my 2015 FF last October I checked the oil level. The seller just had the car serviced by our local Ferrari dealer. I wanted to check the oil level just so that I would have a baseline. The dealer appropriately put the level just a quarter inch below the max level. I strictly followed the instructions in the manual -

Proceed as follows:
    1. Run the engine until the engine oil temperature has reached 85 - 90 °C (185 - 194 °F).
    2. Leave to idle for at least 4 minutes.
    3. Run the engine at between 4,000 and 4,500 RPM for 1 minute.
    4. Leave to idle for 2 minutes and then (before the 3rd minute elapses) check the oil level.

This weekend after driving the car I thought I would check the level. Rather than go through the procedures, I just opened the hood while the car was idling and pulled the dipstick. I was surprised that my oil level was low (just above the min level) because I hadn't yet driven that many miles.

So then I followed the instructions from the manual and was relieved to see the level was at the same quarter inch below the max level.

It's a little bit of a PITA (my neighbors might not like me running the engine at 4000 rpm for a minute), but I guess you really have to follow the manual when checking the oil level.

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have never heard of such an involved process to check the oil. Are the current model v12 engines the same?

Jas likes this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    On my 2008 612 you just get the engine up to operating temp, let it idle a few minutes and then just check the oil. Good question, I am wondering if you need to follow the FF procedures on the F12 and 812.

4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I believe that all dry sump engines have an involved oil measuring procedure simply because, by definition, the oil does not collect in the bottom of the engine so you can’t measure it there.

5. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I thought you only had to go through that process if you get an engine oil low light come on. That’s how I read it anyway. On my 812 I just check it at idle when warm.

If what you write really is the process for a normal check it’s near impossible in the real world?

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    If you wait for the oil light to come on then it’s too late or so the mechanic at Ferrari told me.

You need to follow the procedure in the book if you are going to check it, although all my V12’s have never used any oil at all. [ That's jink's it ]

Saying that, the procedure in my hand book for my old 599 was wrong, as it said to turn the engine off to check, so I nearly added 1.5L of oil as it was showing none, but luckily I phoned the dealer to have a go at them for not filling it up correctly, and they told me the book was wrong and only then was it they sent me the correct info for the 599

The top photo is the wrong info that was in my hand book for a 599

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my FF has been really good - doesnt seem to burn much oil at all. i change the oil every 12 months and it holds up...on average i drive the car about 4k miles per year.

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, it's a good thing you checked with them. Over filling the oil is one of the worst things you can do.

Unbelievable that your manual was wrong.

9. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This is what my 812 says to do. I’ve always read it as “if the engine oil light comes on do the following” and then one would follow the process stated. But if the engine oil light is not on it implied to me one would just do a normal dip stick test at warm and idle.

So the right thing to do is go through this process every time you check the oil? What a pain.

Attached Files:

10. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #10 marky1, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Just wanted to add, also because the first section in red (under warning) says" the engine oil level must be checked when the engine is idling and warm and the vehicle is on level ground." For me, that's them telling us how to check the engine oil. If the process was actually the much longer one then they wouldn't need to write this? I still read it (perhaps wrongly) that you only need to do the long one if the oil light has come on because it says "proceed as follows" if it has. I'm going to check with my dealer.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It is a little confusing the way they start by saying if your oil light comes on. However, I think they mean if it comes on, that obviously is the time to check it. However, my interpretation is that procedure must be followed any time you check it.

You might want to try what I did. Check the oil at idle, and then check it after you follow their procedure. See if you find a difference in the oil level. As I mentioned, my oil was above the MIN level when checked at idle, but just below the MAX level when I followed the manual.

marky1 likes this.
  12. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    #12 RickLederman, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    I've had 2 FFs and now have a beautiful GTC4Lusso. Once you've done the check a few times it becomes EASY. I really don't check mine very often, every couple months. I do look for oil in the garage floor, and smoke from the exhaust. Never seeing any I don't worry about it. And I already have 9,600 miles on it since last June! I actually drive mine almost every other day. I used to drive my Cali T the other days (snow, rain, whatever) but just took delivery of a Portofino two days ago.

marky1 likes this.
  13. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Do you run it at 4500 in neutral or do you drive it and then stop?
    Also what about the first part to get it to 92-94. Do you drive it to do this or you do it at stand still from cold start up?
    Appreciate if you could let me know what you do. Not sure how impressed my neighbours will be!!

14. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I checked it after driving it for quite a while, so the temp was well into the operating range. So yes, then parked in my driveway and rev'd it between 4000 and 4500 for a minute.

I checked it in early November right after I bought the car just to see where the level was. This was only the second time now. Like Rick, if there is no issue, I don't intend to check it too often.

And actually, I only have one neighbor it might annoy and I don't feel badly about it at all! :D

marky1 likes this.
  15. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Paul. I’ll do the same.