Will 2020 Indy 500 be Postponed? | FerrariChat

Will 2020 Indy 500 be Postponed?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by albkid, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    With an increase in US COVID-19 infections, what is the probability that the Indy 500 is postponed?

US cases popped 69% from March 3 to March 4 as reported on WHO website.

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Doubtful. The new owner expects to turn a profit. So your participation is vital to his needs. :p

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    at that growth rate, we'll all be dead by then!

:eek:

4. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Humor is certainty a good medicine. The reason I asked my question is that the TV media is claiming that there is a growing lack of confidence in the US government's response to the virus. Also, there has been at least one report of an infected person making a stupid choice to break quarantine.

Postponing the Indy 500 would send a message that a gathering of some +300K folks would not be a good idea - at this time.

375+ and GuyIncognito like this.
  5. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Do you really have faith in the media? They are the most biased group of twits going. The good folks in the White House will make the appropriate decision as well as the kids at 16th and Georgetown.

I have faith in rational decision making...not mass hysteria making fools !

Jack-the-lad and lorenzobandini like this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    "Rational" decision making involves lawyers and insurance companies who talk about silly stuff like responsibilities and things you could be found "liable" for.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Which is why I will give those in charge some leeway in their efforts. Hysteria never produced a positive result. Let those in charge take the needed steps to come to a reasonable decision.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
  9. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My question was not about the media, it was about health.

I have little faith in the media as there is politics galore in so-called news reporting. I do not need an education in this. I saw firsthand as an executive of an NBC-affiliated TV station that hot news stories were seen by reporters as a portfolio builder, and a ticket to the plum stations in the top ten markets. If hysteria was something a reporter could milk for effect, I saw it done first hand. (Those reporters did not last at our station)

In posing the question on the Indy 500, I knew I was asking race enthusiasts whether they believed that we had reached a tipping point in the infection rate that mandated the race be postponed. I was wondering whether a postponement could be viewed in the interest of public health, even though it would inconvenience some or many.

As for the kids in Georgetown, I do not understand this reference in spite of the fact that I lived in Northern Virginia for 25 years. Perhaps you assume that people will behave in their own self interest regarding the rules established for infection control. I do not assume that this will be the case -- until neighbors or family get sick.

10. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Georgetown and 16th is the area outside the track at turn 1. Vendors, bars, party time.

375+ likes this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    More fun than the race:eek:

12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    So the NCAA has said the March Madness tournament will be held without spectators. That's huge. I truly hope this can be under control by late May, but (no pun intended) I won't be holding my breath waiting for good news.

14. And the question "Do you really have faith in the media?" was not about health but your apparent reliance on the hate Pres. Trump media as a source: "The reason I asked my question is that the TV media is claiming that there is a growing lack of confidence in the US government's response to the virus."
    The lack of confidence is greatly induced/enhanced by that so "trustworthy" TV media feeding the fear fodder to it's sheep.........

Stephanopoulos was interviewing some doctor a morning or two ago (obviously thinking he had him a good Dem in front of him) had to get a jab in so asked (paraphrasing) "Don't you think the President should have acted sooner?".
    The good doctor frowned and replied emphatically "No. With the information we've had, I would have done exactly the same..."
    Foiled, George was silent for a few seconds and quickly changed the subject. Oooopppsss.

15. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No, it was not my intention to rely on the "hate Pres. Trump media" as a source in order to prompt a political debate. If I gave this impression, I will seek to frame my responses better in the future.

My initial post was merely to learn whether enthusiasts of the race believe that a postponement would be the public interest.

What is your point of view?

16. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I believe that people need to come to their senses. Both the President and Mr Penske will evaluate the situation until a tipping point is reached. I see both as rational, logical men. If and when they pull the trigger on said matter, i expect them to define the reasons behind the decisions. Until then, i let the CDC do their job. It has not hit a true pandemic yet. So again, I will wait unti that time believing the 500 will go on as expected. I think that is reasonable. Would you ?

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #17 freshmeat, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Depending on which state you’re in, your local officials might’ve already sidestepped the administration and enacted a series of escalated measures on their own. I have zero confidence in the administration but a lot for how many state officials are proceeding/approaching the situation.

18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    newsflash, WHO has already officially declared it a pandemic...
    https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coronavirus-cases-surpass-1000-us-tsa-agents-test/story?id=69525688

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  20. I wuz all set for Australia last nite....dang it. 'Don't care much for IMSA or WEC anymore but still it's sorta' racing so would have checked 'em out.
    Still 2 months 'til Indy so we'll see.

( "I have zero confidence in the administration"
    'Got faith in the administration myself. 'Can't say the same for most supposed "journalists" :rolleyes:..........)

21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    WHO and ABC are the least credible parties mentioned in this thread.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    99% chance it does not run this year on schedule.

23. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
  24. "Seemed" ??? :p

However, IndyCar being the spec show that it is, it could well have been a computer generated video.....and the uninitiated wouldn't have known the difference........:eek:

.....which I'm afraid is right around the corner (without any virus) for the future of the "sport" (what's left of it) of auto racing.....:(

25. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Fear not. For an outbreak of that childhood disease could return and also do even more harm. In the pc world of today, cooties has more chutzpah than any current indy car has with today's younger generations. :p