Stuck Key in 1986 3.2 | FerrariChat

Stuck Key in 1986 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by cianfichi, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Hey guys out of nowhere the key gets stuck in the ignition. It wont turn, and takes a couple minutes of gentle wiggling to free it. This just started happening out of nowhere. The silver metal "strike plate" assembly that the key goes in to appears to be loose a bit. Alas, if you wiggle the key you can eventually get it to turn forward to start the car.

So has anyone replaced the tumbler in your Mondial? What part number would the tumbler be? How has the part? Do you get a new key for it also? Is this a locksmith job? Algar Ferrari? Do it yourself?

Thanks ahead for your timely response, I need to get my Mondial started and moved soon!
    Vince

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’d use a lock lube 1st

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    yeah this happens on my 85 often. For some reason I had a locksmith at the house and IIRC he suggested a dry lube like graphite. Have yet to try it.

4. Mondi Cab

Mondi Cab Karting

Oct 9, 2019
    EU
    Full Name:
    J.Schulz
    Agree: Take Graphite. but also WD40 would help you out right now if desperate.
    The difference is, that WD40 (or alike) are wet lubes and thus attract dust particles that could stick on to it, resulting in repeated blocking of your lock weeks or months later.
    Had to lube a boot lock last week. Key was stuck half way with no where to go and could not leave the car like that on the street.
    Sprayd it, works fine now.
    Make sure to move the key in and out whilst or just after lubing so the stuff gets where it is supposed to go.....

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You lub it with wd 40 until it comes out, then use some contact cleaner spray to clear out the wd 40 when you get the key out. I believe you can use a soft graphite pencil to rub over the key as a lub.

6. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Mechanic (yes this decided to happen on my way leaving a service- I didn't mention that initially) did spray some lock lube and that seems to help the key in and out. For sure trying the lube thing is real time right now. But my concern is the tumbler and/or something else is worn out.

I will try some graphite. Because even WD40 can gunk up over time. I think the contact cleaner is a good idea I'll try that.

Vince

7. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Sprayed wd40 and the key is moving in and out nicely. Turns also. Didnt start the car yet, but it will turn far enough to start. Question is why use contact cleaner? Thanks for the assistance fellas!
    Vince

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Contact cleaner is for trying to clean out the old gunk and grit before applying some fresh lubricant.

9. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Right, thank you Wade. I suspect my issue could be something faulty in the steering column with respect to some of the mechanisms internally. For example, sometimes the turn signal stalk slips, or will not hold, or will not turn off. Whatever is causing that may be getting worse and/or starting to affect the operation of the key. Any thoughts?

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The contact cleaner might just clean the contacts inside the key body, no reason you cannot put the wd 40 back in later as the contact cleaner will evaporate. Other wise use the graphite off a soft pencil

11. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    So today I started the car, drove, stopped, shut off. A few times. No issues. Just a sticky ignition switch most likely. WD40 worked very well. It's strange that it all froze out of nowhere. But it can happen again, so future checklist item to check the steering column components, ignition switch, tumbler, stalks etc. Thanks for the help guys!
    Vince

Wade likes this.
  12. JessN16

JessN16 Rookie

Sep 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jess Nicholas
    Something I've found to use on keys in general -- with great results, and as yet, with no future "gumming up" of anything -- is gun oil. I got mine at Wal-Mart, spray can with a maroon label. I've fixed locks on a bank, door locks and ignition locks in cars, a lock on a gun cabinet (apropos), and the locks on my house. Can't remember the exact manufacturer right now but next time I see that can, I'll update.

Jess