458 - Do Titanium Lug Bolts Need Any Special Tools to Remove? | FerrariChat

458 Do Titanium Lug Bolts Need Any Special Tools to Remove?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rexcat458, Mar 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello to the group,

My “new” 2015 458 Italia has the Ferrari Collection rims by OZ with Titanium lug bolts. These feature an internal hex recess in the top of the bolt head. The outer part of the bolt head is round...

Since these special lug bolts are new to me, I wanted to double check if you needed to use special tools (like the plastic covered sockets for example) to remove them, or to torque them back down?

Is it acceptable to remove Titanium lug bolts with air tools, or should I only use manual breaker bars for removal? Do Titanium lug bolts require different torque specs, or do I use the same specs as normal Ferrari lug bolts for the 458?

I prefer to clean all four wheels off the car in a rotating jig when washing and detailing my 458, but I’m leery of mucking it up the first time by using incorrect tools/sockets/techniques. Any tips for this Ferrari addicted rookie are much appreciated! Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    First off never use air tools on the bolts or any type of wheel bolt/nut on any car. I use the same torque specs as stated for regular 458 bolts but check your owners manual it should say if it is different for the Speciale. mine are used with forged factory 488 wheels. Attacked is a pic of the socket I use. Also I would recommend using a wheel guide as shown. Check your tool kit to see if there is hex socket in there.

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Stay away from air tools. Not needed. You don't use a big center nut.

It the previous owner is one of those clowns that always keep the toolkit that belongs with the car, go to your dealer.
    If you were never informed that the kit was not with the car, it is the responsibility of the dealer to replace it as it should be part of any "complete" car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Ferrari parts sells the correct male socket. Make sure you use a torque wrench to the proper torque. Also, I agree with Llenroc in using a wheel guide. It makes the process much easier and reduces the chances of damaging a brake rotor.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A pair of wheel hangers on CC brake setups is a must. Too easy to chip a disc without. Hill Engineering sells them cheap. I prefer two, so the wheel is more stable.

MarkTodd likes this.
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YKTYGA

Install the lug bolts to 100 Nm / 74 ft lbs using a manual torque wrench. I wouldn't use air tools to remove. It's usually best to just loosen them by hand and remove them with your fingers and/or with your fingers holding the drive socket shown above. Do not use any anti-seize or lubricant on the threads; they should be installed dry.

Here are the wheel mounting/dismounting tools I use. They are totally smooth, so there is no knurled part to sheer off the paint on the wheels as you slide them on or off - they have an allen key in the end if needed. Two work great and really help to index the wheel on or off, but one will also work fine.

https://www.**********.com/ferrari-m14-x-1-5-wheel-mounting-tool/

Ray

sampelligrino and mdrums like this.
  7. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks so much! There is no hex socket in my tool kit, I suppose the previous owner still has it in his toolbox... I will definitely get a wheel guide, or two just for extra protection. I will also get a proper breaker bar and a professional torque wrench. Cheers!

Llenroc likes this.
  8. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks! There is a toolkit, but it is incomplete. This is my first Ferrari, so I’m a complete novice, trying to learn the ropes. Blimey!

9. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Awesome! Thanks so much for your kind assistance! Those are some trick mounting rods that will make my wheel mounting and dismounting protocol a snap. Cheers!

RayJohns likes this.
  10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Hey, 14mm x 1.5 thread pitch. That is what I needed. I'll buy a couple of bolts that size and grind the heads off. Heck, I probably have the bolts in my extras bin already.

RayJohns likes this.