348/355 Brake pump conversion kits | FerrariChat

348/355 Brake pump conversion kits

Discussion in '348/355' started by User-C3, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    This is something that got started on another thread and thanks to all the members who had blind faith in me coming up with something decent; for that I greatly thank all of you!

I figured I would start a new thread strictly for the brake pump conversion kit I came up with in case anyone else is interested. This kit will work on all 348 and 355 models equipped with the Teves pump that is a common failure point in these vehicles. I did a ton of research and figured out the Teves pumps found on early Jaguar xj6 and xj12 models are identical at a fraction of the price and readily available with 2 small differences. First the accumulator and pressure line connection are in opposite positions, and the banjo bolt for the pressure line is a larger size. The kit includes everything needed to bolt up one of these Jaguar pumps and places the accumulator lower under the closeout panel to fix the common clearance issue on the factory Ferrari unit.

List of parts

Laser cut and yellow zinc coated adapter bracket that matches and relocates the factory Ferrari bracket for mounting the pump with hardware.

New AC Delco manufactured pressure line to mount from the pump to the vehicles hard line.

Banjo bolt and copper crush washers for mounting the new pressure line.

Brake fluid resistant rubber soft line and hose barb for extending the low-pressure fluid feed line from the reservoir without having to remove it.

Here is a photo of everything I included, a photo of the bracket next to the factory bracket for color comparison, and an installed photo to show the accumulator position.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB, jqpd99, Qavion and 4 others like this.
  2. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    This is exciting news. Thanks for sharing it.

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Got my kit sitting in a box with a brand new XJ pump and accumulator for a future need. The kit is great btw.

4. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    I would be interested. how much are the kits? are they "in stock?"

5. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    I’ll take one.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I see the end of the ******** Ferrari tax where a used Teves pump is $900 and it leaks, a New Old Stock pump is $3,000. Whereas, a used Jaguar Teves pump is $150 and the NOS was $250 (just one).

7. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Qavion likes this.
  8. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
  9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Certainly professionally done. I hope I never need it.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I wouldn't say it has pitfalls. It just a different approach in that the brake boost is generated by the high pressure pump, not engine vacuum. It was used on a lot of cars, Jag, Alfa, Saab,....

11. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    The issue seems to come from the cars sitting and not routinely having the brake fluid flushed. The water content builds in the fluid and tends to seize the pump internal and fry the electric motor. If maintained properly typically its a non issue, but myself and many others have run into the problem. If there is a way to avoid the Ferrari tax and help some fellow owners out in the process I'm all in.

jjtjr likes this.
  12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    This thread is timely. I just bought a 94 spyder. Car has very little pedal travel and basically no brakes. I have yet to really investigate it but never knew about this pump issue since my previous 348 had no issues.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Adding that the newest 348 is 25 years old. So anything that includes moving parts can be expected to fail.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have been doing this for years..never a second thought. The Ford super bird unit works great..although they are getting hard to find now.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    The Buick Reatta pump and accumulator was a very popular replacement in Alfa Milanos (75 RoW). They were dirt cheap. No longer readily available now though.

16. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Thank you for your work on this. Do you happen to have the Jaguar part number(s) necessary for this conversion?

17. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    10.0511-9023.1
    I believe this is the jaguar pump part number, found on 1990-94 xj6 and xj12 models. This pump will be the closest to factory. You could do the entire conversion for $400 compared to $1k for a used ferrari pump that may not work.

18. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Jaguar part number for the pump and motor assembly is JLM1884 (NLA from Jaguar). Range Rover P38 has rather similar looking unit, p/n STC2783, but I do not know how easy/difficult it would be to adapt it for the use in 348/355.

User-C3 likes this.
  19. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    The range rover unit may be able to be used, but the jaguar pump is the closest to stock. The range rover electric motor will work on the ferrari pump housing if you only need to replace the electric motor.

20. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    With me the brake pump a lot. I found that the relay was broken. Volvo had exactly the same thing. Unfortunately, the engine is now outside due to gearbox damage.

Is it typical that the relay breaks when the pump is damaged?
    Can you test the pump for damage without the engine running?
    Will the conversion kit still be available in 6 months?
    Can I buy the kit directly?
    Thanks Tim from Germany

21. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I don't think the relay issue is from a bad pump. That could be more of a wiring issue. The pump assembly can be bench tested by simply puting power and ground to the electric motor. However this may confirm the pump spins but doesn't mean the pump is able to build pressure.
    I figured an eBay listing would make purchasing easier for people, but if anyone wants to buy one directly simply send me an email
    [email protected]

22. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The pump relay contacts can burn if the ABS Pump has seized. The stalled motor will draw very high current affecting the relay. Bench test the whole assembly (pump & motor) by briefly touching the motor wires with 12V supply. If the motor does not run, your pump has probably seized or it could be seized motor but unlikely. You can then detach the motor and test it separately.

23. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    OK Thank you.

24. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I was finally able to get a good photo of the bracket kit and Jag pump fully installed without the closeout paneling around it. This pump is working flawlessly as one would expect out of their braking system.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

freccia75, 308 GTB, chopsui and 2 others like this.