Looking for 1972 Ferrari Club of America Info | FerrariChat

Looking for 1972 Ferrari Club of America Info

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Jeff Kennedy, Mar 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Hopefully someone here has the FCA publications from 1972 that they can check for some information.

At some point in 1972 the Missouri Chapter was formed. I am trying to find out if there were any other Chapters in existence at that point (possible that Missouri was the first Chapter) and the list of Regions at that time.

From News Bulletin 1-72
    Missouri Chapter not listed.
    Regions: Central States, Pacific Northwest, Southern California, Northeast, Southeast

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Jeff: There was no official "Missouri" chapter in the 1970s. However, there always was a very active "group" in the St. Louis area and acted as "club" locally.

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Dyke,

What the old times say is that what had been the St. Louis Ferrari group applied to the FCA and became the Missouri Chapter in 1972. In 1976 they hosted the FCA's Annual Meet.

Original founding members allegedly were:

Dave Biggs
    225 Sport
    250 TR
    Dan Feinberg
    250 GTL
    Jerroy Frank
    250 GT (Boano)
    Jim Giganti
    275 GTB
    Stu Hollander
    275 GTB4
    John Lee
    250 GT (Boano)
    Don Levin
    250 GTE
    250 SWB California Spider
    Allen Milner
    250 SWB
    Jack Reuter
    250/330 GTO
    Bob Spooner
    275 GTB
    Mike Walther
    250 GTL (Lusso)
    Tom Welch
    250 Pf Coupe

4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Jeff: I was a national officer (and president) of the FCA during the 1970s. I have no memory of this (could be failing memories). I also have all the club publications from this era. In the News Bulletin, the 1974 St. Louis Meet is called a "Regional Event", and the 1976 Annual Meet in St Louis is referred to as "The Ferrari Club members in St. Louis are looking forward to hosting this year's annual meeting".

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Dyke,

Sent you an e-mail.

Jeff

6. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    In looking through Prancing Horse, no FCA Chapters are listed until the beginning of 2002.
    I remember that the Chapter idea was first discussed at the FCA national board meetings around 2001 or so.

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I am going back to 2 of the group's founders that are still active in the chapter. It is possible based upon what Dyke and Lowell are saying is that the St. Louis group was an informal unit of the Region and became a Chapter when national started that program.

Some of the stories detailing this Chapter's history, written by a couple of the original people, give 1972 as when they become part of the FCA. Previously it had just been an informal group that called itself the St. Louis Ferrari Group. Then one of that group decided that they should become affiliated with the FCA.

There is, what I consider to be, some interesting Ferrari history pre-club and with the club throughout our territory. We are creating a new Chapter website where there will be a history section. I want to ensure it is not perpetrating false histories.

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    This opened up some interesting club history. Thank you to both Dyke and Lowell.

It was during Paul Gilpatrick's time as national president (1991-1993) that the official creation of chapters was started. Prancing Horse first started listing Chapters in the 1992 editions.

As for my Chapter, now called Missouri & Southern Illinois, they had been a semi-autonomous group functioning inside the Central States Region of the FCA. When the Chapter program started they were one of the early groups to become recognized as a chapter. [What started then with just a few is now up to 52 or 53 Chapters across the US and Canada.]

One thing this did do was get me go back to a whole bunch of old Prancing Horse issues I had long forgotten about what their content was and who the various people were through those times.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    My memory is not very good; my collection of Prancing Horse issues is very good. I have just examined the four issues, 102 -- 105 of Prancing Horse for the year 1992. They state that John Kelly was the Chairman, Tom Williamson President, Joe Rosen Vice President. Paul Gilpatrick was the Rocky Mountain Regional Director starting in the second quarter. No mention of Chapters was made in any of these four issues. There were 12 Regions of the FCA; now there are 16 Regions plus various Chapters.

Sorry

10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Current count is 16 Regions and 52 or 53 Chapters.

The first Prancing Horse issue listing Chapter is #142 1Q 2002. With the following Chapters listed:
    Michigan – no leader (by #144 Michigan was no longer listed)
    Quebec
    Eastern Penn
    Western Penn
    New Jersey
    Kansas City
    Dallas – no leader
    Houston
    Louisiana
    Oklahoma
    San Antonio – no leader
    Alabama
    Georgia
    North Carolina
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    San Diego

With #145 - 4Q 2002 the list was:
    Indiana
    Ohio
    Kentucky
    Missouri
    Quebec
    Massachusetts
    New Hampshire
    Vermont
    Eastern Penn
    Western Penn
    New Jersey
    Kansas City
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Houston
    Louisiana
    Oklahoma
    Austin/San Antonio
    Alabama
    Georgia
    North Carolina
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    San Diego

I now have the presentation on Chapters that Don Ambrose created and was presented at the March 2002 Board of Directors meeting. In it he said that there were already 18 Chapters within 7 Regions (8 Regions did not have any). I still working on getting more information. Not sure if Chapters in this pre-2002 period were actually called Chapters, were they officially recognized or just convenient groups that self identified, etc.

My Chapter was originally called Missouri Chapter; now renamed to Missouri & Southern Illinois.

11. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Post 6

Post 10

Jeff Kennedy: The first Prancing Horse issue listing Chapter is #142 1Q 2002.

Why the fuss? Too much ado about nothing.

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Lowell,

I am in the process of doing a history section on my chapter for our new website. As such, I want it to not be repeating inaccurate information that because it was published makes it become gospel (like there has been with too many Ferrari stories). I started my little history project from previously written items from some early members of my chapter where they may have used "shorthand" references for convenience but did in fact turn out to be less than accurate.

In the past when I have gone to David Williams about early chapter history for the FCA, he does not have much knowledge and indicated that it is a murky area. He has all the old publications and is into the club's story. As I tried to find more out, especially the oft repeated claim that my chapter was one of the first, the murkiness of this topic kept showing itself. Even now I find that the 2002 board presentation says that there were already 18 Chapters but it does not list all of them nor does it address anything about when/how the earliest ones came to be - sequence of creation, were they actually "chapters" or just semiautonomous groups that got renamed as chapters when that initiative started to form?

Lowell, since you were a Region Director in the Northwest this was not part of your realm. Even today the Northwest has yet to create chapters although it would make sense based upon your geography to have at least Seattle and Portland units.

Anyway, that may explain why I am trying to nail down this information.

13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Did you ask Hugh? He took over Central States in 1978/79 IIRC. I’d imagine he might know or know who was in charge of Central States before him.

14. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I have not talked with Hugh but have with Dyke and Mike Epifanio. Turns out that it was during Mike's term as RD that there was the start of a concerted effort formalize the chapters. I have also been in touch with Chris Parr who was a creator of the Kansas City Chapter - they and my St. Louis group negotiated the border in Western Missouri between the two groups.