F1 Problem Question | FerrariChat

F1 Problem Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by MarkRoth, Mar 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkRoth

MarkRoth Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    Barrington, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Roth
    Having a problem with my 1999 F355 F1 transmission. The car will go into reverse, and from reverse to neutral. The transmission will not shift into first gear. It sounds like it wants to shift into first from neutral, but first never actually engages.

I have opened and closed all of the doors tightly, have opened and closed the front and rear bonnets. Plus, it goes into reverse, so I am not sure that it is a sensor in one of the bonnets. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and how it was resolved.

Thanks.

2. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    First thing to check is the condition of your motor mounts, they sag and can allow the shift actuator linkage to contact the crossmember and cause a variety of shifting issues depending on how much and at what angle the mounts are sagging. Put the car on a lift or raise the rear as much as you can, pull the left rear wheel and fender liner, this will allow you to see how the motor mounts look and to look for evidence of interference with the actuator linkage.

There are other things that are follow up candidates; pump health, accumulator, solenoids etc. but look for the above very carefully first.

WATSON likes this.
  3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You can also put a block under the engine and transmission and jack it up about 2 inches taking some weight off the mounts, if it then shifts fine it’s motor mounts.
    The mounts would also be the first place I look and the clearance between the f1 actuator and the cross member

WATSON likes this.
  4. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If mounts are good enough, check the accumulator bottle. If the rubber balloon inside is rotted it will not pressurize properly and will not give u the 91-93 psi u need to shift. That’s where my problem was

WATSON likes this.
  5. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    ^^^ What they said

6. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I believe it was your post that helped me solve the problem. I could be wrong and the credit goes to u then to others

7. MarkRoth

MarkRoth Rookie

Oct 4, 2005
    Barrington, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Roth
    Thank you for all of your advice. I pulled the left rear wheel and inner fender today to access a motor mount. I have attached photos of the motor mount. I do not have a side view of any new motor mounts to compare these photos to, so here is my next probably dumb question: Does this mount look bad? I get that impression from the limited photos that I can find on the Internet, but am looking for a little further advice before I order new mounts and dig into the job.

Thank you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Since you have the pieces apart do what I said and now put a jack under neath with a block to distribute the weight and as someone helps you jack up the motor and transmission see if it moves right away with out a lot of jacking. This would indicate that the motor mounts are worn.

Not sure if you will understand that.

Worn mounts allow the engine to sag and sit a little lower, the shifting linkage will then hit the cross member.
    By jacking up and taking a small amount of weight off the mounts the linkage will clear. Do not jack right up as you do not need to put that much weight on the engine or transmission cases since they are not designed to be used for jacking up the car.
    Hopefully this makes sense

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The mounts kinda look ok but it’s hard to tell if the center is weak usually there are cracks and it is obvious