Front Spoiler Help - Testarossa | FerrariChat

Front Spoiler Help - Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bka80s, Mar 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    I just recently purchased my Testarossa with pre-existing damage to the front lower spoiler. The damage is relatively minor, consisting of scratches and chipping, no cracks or breaks. Unfortunately the damage is on both the right and left sides and two chips in the center; very unsightly.

Does the front fender need to be removed to remove the spoiler?

Are there any members in the Houston / Austin area that have a shop or a guy they use for these types of repairs?

The car is basically flawless in all other aspects and I’d like to get this repair done soon. It detracts from the beautiful lines on the front of the car.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No reason to remove the spoiler. It should be fixed inplace.

bka80s and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed- pretty cheap too! Couple hundred if I recall?
    If I were u (OP) is drive it a bit before fixing it because I , from experience, noted that it took me a little while at first to get used to the right angles in speed bump, driveways in order not to scrape it. That way if u scrape it further at least when u fix it u do it all in once!;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe, bka80s and vincenzo like this.
  4. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Those kinds of touch ups can become an annual affair depending on how many bars you stop at on the way home from work

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The first spoiler is usually a learning experience. For some of us, the second one too.

Not 100% stock but I made a thin black plastic strip made of nylon?, delrin?, something, cut to the shape of the bottom edge screwed in place to act as a drag strip to save the spoiler bottom edge. Will not stop impact damage but prevents a lot of what this one has. That often happens when you drag the front backing out of driveways.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    As a side note, when backing in a parking place with those curb stops, be very careful no to back up until your tires hit them. When you go to pull forward you may damage the rear panel. Did that twice myself, LOL.

7. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    So the consensus is that this is a DIY fix?

I’d prefer not to use rattle can. Is there a paint that’s preferred?

Or is rattle can and Bondo the “right” fix?

Sorry, this is my first Ferrari and I’m probably overly conservative.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The rattle gives a ‘good’ finish that can be frequently refinished diy with little effort.

A ‘perfect’ finish requires more effort... and as such gets infrequent professional refinishing.

I contend that a consistently ‘good’ finish is superior to a infrequent ‘perfect’ finish.

ymmv

peteficarra likes this.
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Depends on your level of talent. I know do it your self guys every bit as good as professional body men. Its a question you need to answer. I'd leave it alone for a while. Get used to driving it and if you are not comfortable doing it I can refer you to someone.

10. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    Thank you.

I’m good with a wrench but haven’t done much body work over the years. This seems fairly straight forward, but I definitely like hearing other people’s perspectives from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    One of the tricks is matching the paint. The amount of "Sheen" in the paint changes with time. The devices used for washing and drying (Towels etc) tend to buff it and shine it up over time. So do chemicals. Last time I repaired ours I painted the black all around the car so it would match. I teach concours judges to stand back and look at the car from a distance so you can see if the spoiler matches the rockers. It can be a difficult match if you are fussy about it. There are a thousand gradations of flat, semi flat, matte, satin etc paints. A good body shop can add flatener and get it perfect.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Drive it around for a couple of tanks of gas. You’re going to smack it on plenty of things. I rattle can mine. Nobody’s ever mentioned spoiler imperfections to me. But I never do the car show judging stuff either.

EZORED likes this.
  13. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I agree, I would grab some sand paper and lightly sand the chips, tape off an just touch up the damaged area. Drive the car for a few weekends. Then fix. They are not that hard to remove . If you have a lift it would be easy to repair in place but if not I would remove to repair!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #15 MOSS, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    And it will look like pure crap when finished. Not many know how to apply, sand, prep and paint and fiberglass resin is about as nasty as it gets. Not near enough damage for that kit. Take it to your favorite painter and get it done right so you will be as proud of the finished product as you are the car. Then put a 3m clear bra if offered in matt finish. Under 500 bucks for everything. Treat the car with the respect it deserves. Since you are not yet used to the car yet, drive it some more as suggested to get used to the height. It might take another lick or two. : )

bka80s likes this.
  15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Great idea and I have seen other stick on protectors that might do the job as well.