New Ferrari Owner Has A Question | FerrariChat

New Ferrari Owner Has A Question

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Extreme1, Mar 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I just bought my first Ferrari, a 2009 F430 with 13,000 miles.

I plan on doing the servicing myself. Will a "maintenance required" or " oil change required" illuminate on the dash when it's needed?

I want to know if it's worth me buying a scan tool to clear the message, or if I should just take it to my Indy shop to have them clear it for a few bucks.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a 360 and find having a scan tool to be invaluable. These cars throw codes like a hot dog seller at Yankee Stadium. Get a good scanner and keep it in your car. I use a dongle based system and my Android phone. You'll probably be using the code scanner on a regular basis. Maybe the 430 is less prone to throwing codes than a 360. I doubt it. I use the Android app EOBD which is recommended by Aldous Voice.

LARRYH likes this.
  3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Thanks for the help. What's the name of the scanner you are using so I can do a Google search and look it up?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You might find it helpful to know that there's a huge amount of previous information on this site and it would help you enormously with your plan to maintain your 430 yourself to start practising how to find it - going forward there's probably threads covering almost every problem you are like to encounter with your 430 (in the 360/430 section generally) - currently specifically there are innumerable threads all over this site about code readers and the cheap bluetooth dongle on Ebay or Amazon - try a search here on EOBD for example which should link to dongle suggestions as well as software

PS enjoy the car !

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Extreme 1, scan tool is a great time and money saving device to have on hand. Definitely worth picking one up. You can get one on Amazon for around $35.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH and psych0hans like this.
  7. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Will this plug into my diagnostic port? Sorry if it's a dumb question, it's my first Ferrari.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It will plug into the diagnostic port of ANY car produced after 1995. It’s a great general tool to have not just for a Ferrari

LARRYH likes this.
  9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Yes, it’s a universal scanner so no problem. It will plug into your port.

10. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  11. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    No, the dashboard will not tell you when it's time for service. The service book tells all except it makes no mention of changing the F1 fluid which needs to be changed every 2-3 years. A cheap OBD2 scanner and the phone app are great to have. My 360 threw codes, CEL's, all the time. My 430 has not in 4 years.

psych0hans likes this.
  12. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
  13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    yes I have one of these ... and it is very handy on a Ferrari .... and for the OP if the car throws a code clear it with something like this AND plug the battery charger in 99% of the crazy stuff that happens to any recent Ferrari is caused by a weak or old or undercharged battery never seen anything like it ..except on Ferrari ....

14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    So true Larry. I recently changed the original battery on my 458 after which time I had an error code. Plugged the scanner in, cleared the code and it never returned. Confirmed with my Ferrari mechanic that these codes will show up after any power disconnect and scanner is all that is required to clear them.

LARRYH likes this.