458s Suddenly "Flying out the Door" | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458s Suddenly "Flying out the Door"

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by IndianaNative, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    This is true.

2. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Low mileage in red with correct interior spec and not some stupid 3 colour interior combo are still moving in UK, only 9 red spiders for sale on auto trader right now

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    absolutely not

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I think red/tan is most peoples first choice for their first, generally speaking.

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I really really want a SA!!!!!

PTG1 likes this.
  6. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Neither. Great to drive and own but investment no.

VAF84 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Agreed.

The only way these cars are ever going to appreciate is in a couple of decades’ time, when we’re all forced to drive stupid electric cars that may have speed but no sound or soul, and if in 20 years’ time, the dominant generation of people still appreciate cars enough to remember the good old days when they were built properly, with smells, feelings and soul, instead of a glorified vacuum cleaner on wheels.

If not, in the likely event that cars that burn gas are labelled public enemy number 1 and the next generation thinks a proper car is a Playstation/iPad on wheels and that electricity is going to save the world, then no. Just keeping these cars in the garage connected to a tender will be challenging and there will be no demand, hence no appreciation.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Back on topic, in my neck of the woods at least, it isn’t so much a question of existing 458s flying out the door anymore. It’s that they stopped popping up for sale, period.

My guess? It’s becoming increasingly apparent the course Ferrari is taking as a company, which reflects in their model range, and they’re not liking it, hence they hold on to the 458, not feeling tempted enough to sell. Lets face it: the market is saturated with supercar brands making turbos and hybrids. Natural aspirated V8s revving to 9000rpm? Not so much. Maybe that’s becoming increasingly apparent to a lot of people.

Kind regards,

Nuno

VAF84, wthensler, anishka and 6 others like this.
  9. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    #59 Rory breaker, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    I would say red/black. More buyers now in their 20s/30s and most feel red/tan is from the 80’s :)
    I see the market as the same it’s been. For well spec’d well taken care of lower mileage examples, expect to search and expect to pay a premium. For average specs, they are holding/dropping naturally. For undesirable, IMO (no led wheel, salvage, etc), they sit until someone lowballs and scoops it.

Also regarding mileage, we will experience a correction there. Ferrari’s/supercars are now 100k+ mile cars. 10k, 20k, etc...while 20yrs ago one would say “high mileage”, now, a 458/f12/812/huracan/etc is just getting broken in with that mileage. “low mileage” is defined differently now, and will be even moreso moving fwd.

eskanday, PTG1, xfrgtr and 1 other person like this.
  10. SDSferrari

SDSferrari Karting

Apr 2, 2014
    Southern California
    Just had a F dealer in Southern California call me yesterday offering to buy my 458 Italia because they "have none available to sell right now".

11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Speciale high on my wish list, along with a TdF.
    But not for investment. Would drive them as much as I could.

dustman likes this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Can also confirm two official dealers in southern Europe have a waiting list right now.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There are some for sale in Europe and in France (no scarcity at all, so I wonder why people will enroll in waiting lists), but at current prices many may begin to think it's not worth selling so cars may be removed from the market. The gap with a new car is now huge (an F8 costs about twice the price of a 458, probably worse in case of a trade-in) so the value of the upgrade is questionable. Financially upgrading from a used 458 to a used 488 offers good value IMHO, but people willing to make that change already made it in most cases.

boobernackle likes this.
  14. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Not here on east coast USA. I got one dealer that has 10 used 458's in inventory. sitting and 30 488's. Now that the F8 is coming, we will see many 458's coming up for sale vs before as now there is a big enough reason for those to move up to a vehicle that's different enough (F8)

Drson and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Interesting. Here in LA, there are only a couple coupes.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Very market dependable it seems.

Not quite sure 458 owners who consider the car to be the last of its breed, will be tempted by the F8. I can see a lot of them adding an F8, but perhaps not at the expense of trading in the 458, as values offered would be very low to make a 458 owner in love with his car feel tempted. Lets face it, what would one get on a trade in at an official dealer? 100k? Roughly one fourth of a well configured F8. I’d pay cash and keep the 458.

Again: emphasis on a 458 lover.

And personally as a 458 owner, although the F8 is an amazing machine, I would feel a lot more tempted by a 488 Pista.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

17. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    Not sure about flying out the door but I pulled the trigger on a super low mileage white 458 spider a few weeks ago - love the car!

18. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Definitely not flying out the door here but new f8 model will probably make more trade up

19. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    You might be right. I test drove the F8 Tributo this past weekend and have to say the thought crossed my mind. It’s a beauty and appears to do everything just right. Super fast and responsive with excellent handling. Yep, beautiful. And then I drove my 458 Italia home and I felt that familiar rush return each time I drive it......hmmmm and I’m okay now. ;)

20. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    On European wide respected platform AutoScout24, as of today, we have for sale 334 units of the 458 across all variants, and 479 units of the 488. Almost 50% more 488s for sale in Europe than 458s.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Need4Spd likes this.
  21. Hawaii458

Hawaii458 Rookie

Sep 6, 2017
    I'm not sure if they're flying out the door, but I just sold my 2015 458 Italia back to my dealer last week. The dealer had scheduled two prospective buyers to swing by right after I dropped the car off and they sold it that afternoon. There's a 488 that's two years old that's been on the showroom floor for several weeks and the 458 sold the day I dropped it off.

Graz, Need4Spd and Clay512TR like this.
  22. Hawaii458

Hawaii458 Rookie

Sep 6, 2017
    I'm going to need to change my screen now that I don't have the 458 anymore . . .

23. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    I liked my 458 Italia so much , I bought a458 Spider. Love looking at both of them in my garage and I drive them to Walmart and Home Depot are my daily drivers. Retired jump in and just drive sometimes 200 plus miles in a day. Truly never had a material object bring me so much happiness.

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Yup just gotta scratch that tiny itch and reconfirm.

Graz likes this.
  25. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    What is your selling price, if you don't make mind?