COVID 19 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

COVID 19

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by LMH, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Hi Barry, do keep us (me) informed of the status of the factory as you are there. I have a Portofino on order and it is supposed to be delivered in April

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    After today's announcements of schools and universities being shut down I believe Italy (particular the red zones and surrounding) will enter into a very cautious slow mode of operation and you can expect all product and events coming out of Ferrari to be delayed. Unfortunately I think it will get worse before it gets better..

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Definitely getting worse.

This would appear to include Modena and Maranello.

So far only a few limited areas of northern Italy, known as “red zones”, have been quarantined, but in a dramatic escalation the draft tells people not to enter or leave Lombardy or 11 provinces in other regions............In all the areas covered by the decree, including towns in the northern regions of Emilia-Romagna

4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

I drove back home mid-week since it was clear the situation wasn't improving. While the town is quieter around Maranello (no visitors etc), harder to know what is going on at the factory. The talk of new government workplace rules limiting number of people in the same vicinity would not be good for a production line.

5. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    As of 02.00 northern Itally is closed, this includes as far as I know the Ferrari factory...

MDEL likes this.
  6. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
  7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    As I stated in Post #13

tfazio and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    And now All of Italy is placed in quarantine.

10. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Very true, I remember your message. Hope this all does not result in delays.

11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Worth remembering that the press release from Ferrari talks about operation continuity, which is a phrase that has a very specific meaning in Italian bureaucracy along the lines of business continuity/DR used elsewhere to mean preparations are in place to ensure safety and proper control of the operation under a contingency scenario. It is not equivalent to normal business operations. For example when I was in Modena last week, I met with TetraPak which has large business there, and they too have declared operational continuity. However, 80% of their staff are at home or working from home.

Hopefully, Ferrari doesn't get affected badly, but certainly cannot assume that it is business as usual.

LARRYH likes this.
  12. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    :(. Just as I was begining to kid myself that all is well. :rolleyes:, Seriously though, thanks for the clarification. They cannot build cars from home!

13. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Even if Ferrari was operating - which they can't possibly be - huge amounts of supply chain issues will be happening. It only takes one time critical component not arriving and that's it. In the UK, several manufacturers have closed operations or are working on far less capacity as they don't have enough parts. China, Korea, Germany, France, Japan etc are all critical component suppliers and even if they are making them, the couriers and transport are all affected so they won't arrive as scheduled.

Sadly, this is only the beginning of this. It's going to take at least 6 months to get back to full schedules in Europe.

For the first time, we are going to cause a global recession based on over demand and under supply, the total flip side of a normal recession.

But it's my friend Adam I feel for most. He ordered his Pista about a year ago and it is stage 50 at the factory right now. I guess he will have to wait some more!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Below are listed who were the main suppliers of parts for the the F12 Berlinetta and the 488 Spider. I presume most of these companies listed continuo being the suppliers of parts for the 812's as well as other Ferrari models. Most of these parts are produced in Italy, Germany and in other European countries. If Ferrari's Maranello plant has the operational conditions to continue working like is doing now I believe no one in Italy will dare to stop it being supplied with parts, even under the present quarantine imposed to the country. The real problem could be if the parts supplied to Ferrari incorporate components that are manufactured in China or in other asian countries where the factories have been stopped. If that's the case once the stocks of those components will be finished their replacement could take many months to be done.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 and BarryK like this.
  15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Companies are stronger than we think.
    Even china operation of mine is catching up what we lost during Jan and Feb.
    Ferrari will survive and get back into biz asap. Time lost will and should be minimal for all Italians as a whole.
    God bless them all.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and Boomhauer like this.
  16. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    When human lives are at stake waiting for a Ferrari or any car for that matter is not the end of the world. Just putting things in perspective.

17. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
  18. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    FWIW: It will be a minor drawback, for a limited time (unknown of course). China had a 70% drop in car sales last month I think, so affected yes, for life no (at least that is what i hope for).

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
  20. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    don't confuse restaurant, shops and bars with industry.... we are still working, of course in a different way specially white collars as smart working.
    production is still running.....including Ferrari.....for now!!

21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    They are no different. I don't see how people can go work in a factory but not go to a restaurant, shop or bar, there is no difference in risk factor. There is no way I believe that cars are getting built. Italy is shut off fromt the rest of Europe now and the parts for the cars come from the rest of Europe which is also in the process of shutting down.

22. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    if you don't see probably because you are living in Texas and you don't know. I am Italian and also in automotive business. As I said there is no any shut off for commercial goods/industry within EU for now
    Please read the communicate of Ferrari dated March 9th......and today 12 March still production is running regularly.....how I know? I know don't worry. But day by day things can change not only in Italy and EU

by the way my last problem in these days is when Ferrari will deliver my Pista Spider or produce my 812 GTS......STAY HEALTY, STAY HOME
    ciao

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH, ScottS, MDEL and 10 others like this.
  23. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Totaly agree. My regards to all Italians.
    Like I said, companies are stronger than just any other small shops. We adapt fast and stay sharp to survive any situation and corona is just another event. If corona were become a big thing, still my company will die trying to stay alive till the very end. Ten thousand employees life is at stake, and CEOs and I stay up night fighting to keep them intact.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bundy, LARRYH, MDEL and 2 others like this.
  24. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Lamborghini just informed that is closing the factory until March 25 amid coronavirus pandemic. Pirelli has also reduced substantially its production output. For the time being Ferrari Maranello's plant is still working but until when?