Would I like driving an F355? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would I like driving an F355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Julia, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buckets

Buckets Karting

Sep 9, 2019
    Seattle, United States
    Full Name:
    Nick Papagiorgio
    1995 GTB here - can echo what others are saying; steering effort is light; I wonder if wider front tires would help here.

The clutch isn't heavy, and it gives good feedback. I would describe both the clutch and brake pedal feel as just about perfect. It doesn't take much more effort to drive than a manual BMW, but it's a way different experience. Your feet do start to get cramped in the footwell after a couple hours driving..

Gated shifter shifts very smoothly and precisely. I imagine if the trans syncros are worn it might be clunkier.

Julia and Robb like this.
  2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My petite wife has problems with the 308. Her legs are too short to comfortably reach the pedals.
    But she has no issues with the '95 355 spyder.

My only real issue is the throttle cable as mentioned above. I have to give it conscious thought to accelerate smooth from stop so the car doesn't jump. (thanks for posting the linkage info..I'll look into it)
    and if she got caught in the rain, fiddling with the convertible as opposed to her MB wouldn't make her smile.
    She also drives my '15 Mazda 3 stick. I think she'd choose the Mazda over the Ferrari only because she doesn't have to worry about it driving around.

Julia likes this.
  3. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    On my car, clutch is light and smooth. Steering is light as well. Gearbox shifting is stiff until it warms up.

Buckets and Julia like this.
  4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes, Elliot. That's the sensible option. :)

MAD828 likes this.
  5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    That’s what I did anyhow. Check the price of the updated one...

308 GTB likes this.
  6. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    In answer to the OP, yes you will love driving a F355, you should make sure to try it out before purchasing, but these cars are tremendous fun to drive and the clutch and steering are quite easy.

Julia, Robb and 308 GTB like this.
  7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This ^

To add, maybe the seller's car has some issues with it.

I will say that my wife had a bit of difficulty, initially, with engaging reverse on our 348 (the lever push-down part of it). It took a little extra technique, that's all. Good to go after that. Way back when, my ex had the same with the Mondial we owned.

8. Buckets

Buckets Karting

Sep 9, 2019
    Seattle, United States
    Full Name:
    Nick Papagiorgio
    I call that technique finesse :)

Wade likes this.
  9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Would you like driving a 355? Definitely not. It's absolutely awful when you have the windows down and floor it. It's even worse when you're in a tunnel because there is no where for the sound to escape. Then there's the looks- it's no Toyota Prius or Pontiac Aztec, that's for sure. It's a V8 and not a hybrid, so it loses points there too. I don't like how the car is a two door. A four door is far more practical. It's also terrible off road and the car really is bad at Moab. Nor is it trail rated. You also have to burn premium gas. The engine out service bills are reasonable I suppose so the car does have at least some redeeming quality.

Four7EightBHP, Julia and willrace like this.
  10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    hahahahahhahaha
    stellar!
    355 i timeless and pure bliss to drive. Nothing like the 512tr where it takes effort.

PaulK likes this.
  11. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Wow thanks I've been trying to diagnose the sticky throttle issue for ages. Will give this a try

Qavion and MAD828 like this.
  12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have a stated value insurance policy so worst case I get my value back, best case they fix it. Is the 355 uninsured or coverage does not cover that type of incident or something along those lines?

13. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I had a 97’ 355 GTS years ago and the 2 issues I had were the sticking throttle and the lack of power in the lower rpms. If your not on full boil the car feels underpowered even by the standards of that generation of cars.

14. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #39 Wade, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Julia and Robb like this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sorry post above I made somehow jumped threads, it was for another thread

As far as like driving it, while some cars are more enjoyable than others I cant recalls nay car that I hated driving. I think the question si the degree to which you liek it and it it enough for you to warrant purchase. Unfortunately you may need to take a spin in one to see. For my I wanted my car regardless of how I liked the drive (which is amazing btw) I simply wanted it for over 2 decades.

Good luck with your decision!

Julia likes this.
  16. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
  17. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Seems reasonable if you have the skills. :)

18. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
  19. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Best post of 2020!

PaulK likes this.
  20. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    ..and if you drive a Spider with the top down, there is literally no protection from the weather. You risk getting wet and feeling sun and wind. Very dangerous.

Julia likes this.
  21. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Naah. There's a lot of jostling around, howling noises and the distinct possibility of getting wet. Like sex. Awful.

Julia likes this.