EZ Power Steering | Page 2 | FerrariChat

EZ Power Steering

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Chuck Taylor, Feb 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Hmm ?
    While I don't consider myself very strong, I've never felt OEM steering on Daytonas even moderately heavy at anything above crawling/walking/parking speeds.
    Maybe I'm stronger than I feel ? :)

colombo2cam and turbo-joe like this.
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... or perhaps it's all the spinach I saw Popeye eat when I was growing up ? o_O

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    timo
    I think when you sit in an older car you expect that all goes more heavy than in newer cars and so you expect that the steering is much harder then it is original

TTR likes this.
  4. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Just spoke with, and reviewed the install instructions, for the EZ electric PS for my Daytona....not cheap at ~4K + shipping, tax and labor. And, YOU DO HAVE TO CUT THE PEDAL BOX IN TWO PLACES, as i interpret the instructions. I'd appreciate any input as to whether or not this is accurate. thanx. steve

5. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Chuck Taylor... I have a very nice Daytona coupe i'm considering selling. if you're interested email me <[email protected]> steve meltzer

6. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Not true. You only have to drill two holes under your dash to fix the e-motor.

7. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx. do you like the set-up? s

8. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    OK, i just finished the install of the EZ Power steering unit in my Daytona and it was a challenge, and took away more than 2 hours. Done by a pro mechanic, but it was his first one. Part of the unit sits just above the brake pedal and, in my drive way, it was annoying and potentially a safety concern as I went for the brakes. Has anyone else experienced this? WOW! no more 5 minute fights getting the car in the garage or on a lift. Very, very neat install, just took us time. thanx steve

Nembo1777 likes this.
  9. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Steve,
    Yes, if I drive my Daytona wearing regular shoes, I sometimes hit the EZ unit when braking. Wearing driving shoes, I rarely do, but then I only wear a size 9 shoe.
    Tex

10. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Tex, thanx. so, it's probably mounted correctly...I don't think there's much choice on installing the unit....only one place it will fit. Is that correct?

thanx steve

11. westextifosi

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    That is correct.

12. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    gonna take some getting used to. thanx. steve

13. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Just put the system in my Daytona....SUPERB IN TOWN. Easy corner turns, esp from a stop sign and parking in my tight area is a pleasure. However, and I'm not a greatly experienced Daytona driver, the steering felt a bit light over, say 50 MPH. ?? my imagination or real? sorta like the front end was light, and it ain't!
    has anyone put in an on off switch? thanx steve

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    You'll get used to it, go for a day drive into the hills, I know they are not much but at least contrary to south Florida -worst place in the world for driving pleasure- you do have hills and some twisties up there. Turn off your cell phone completely and concentrate on driving, give it a whole day on COUNTRY TWISTY roads NOT URBAN STRAIGHT and you will be totally habituated and love it:)

15. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx Nembo1777 the terrain here in Houston ain't no better....just awful to enjoy these cars. thanx for the reassurance. steve

Nembo1777 likes this.
  16. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Mine has a switch. I don’t feel any difference when I turn it off at 80km/h.

17. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx Italian Tuneup. much appreciated, as I was going to put in an on-off switch. steve

18. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Yes I remember the box being a bit intrusive on Dad's old EZ equiped Spyder conversion and he warned me about it when I first drove it. As has already been mentioned it was not an issue for me when driving with driving shoes (US size 11 shoe) but they are the only shoes I use with a Daytona. Had to remember not to accidentally kick the box or bash my shin against it when getting in or our though.

19. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    i'm gettng used to it and no big deal. I hear people talk about adjusting it over, say, 35 kph, but i find no such control. yours?

20. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Did you install the speed sensor? It should adjust automatically the faster you go. No separate adjusting possible in my car.

21. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    yes,all parts installed. several people have posted comments that make it sound like there's a separate control 'knob"/like a rheostat making it adjustable., not sensor controlled. thanx steve

22. westextifosi

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Steve,
    My EZ control box has a rheostat-type switch which was taped over. I untaped it and tried several settings, none of which produced a noticeable difference. I haven't touched that switch in probably 9 or so years. I installed my control box between the driver-side kick panel and the firewall for what it's worth.

23. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    spoke wtih the vendor who said the Daytona does not have a potentiometer/rheostat.wonder if other units do, or they did away with it since yours? the control is driven by the speedo, which makes sense. thanx again....your approval spurred me onto finally take the plunge. Glad I did. thanx again. steve

24. Italian Tuneup

Italian Tuneup Karting

Apr 16, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Same here ;-) I also asked the manufacturer some time ago, after I read here that a potentiometer should be present.

Perhaps the potentiometer is present in an older or first version of the steering system?

25. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I don't remember there being any way to adjust the level of assistance, but as I posted earlier I remember Dad being unhappy when he first drove the car as he felt the dead spot in the steering was much bigger than before, so presumably it must have been adjusted somehow?