F355 power lock alarm led wiring? | FerrariChat

F355 power lock alarm led wiring?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 490times, Mar 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 490times

490times Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Syracuse
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Can anyone help me find a wire that I can tap a flashing LED into so it's only on while the power locks are engaged?

Thanks.

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #2 Qavion, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Looking at the wiring diagrams... there should be an earth/ground at the centre console door lock switch brown-green wire when either door lock actuator is fully extended (locked).

In theory, if you attached a flashing LED to this wire with a source of hot battery power on the other flashing LED wire, it would flash when the doors are locked.

I'm just not sure that adding this parallel circuit wouldn't interfere with the locking system.

Will you be fitting the flashing LED in the normal LED location? I'm trying to figure out if there are any sources of hot battery power in the binnacle area. You may have to run a wire down to the battery bus bar behind the footwell relay panel.

If you're fitting the flashing LED to the centre console, you could use the cigarette lighter supply (although, on my 355, it uses ignition key power). Does your lighter work with the ignition off?

490times likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The "I am locked" signal passes through two connectors on the back of the passenger footwell relay panel. This may be a closer location than the lock switch if you plan to use the normal LED location.

Is your flashing LED 12 volts? Don't blow it up if it isn't.

490times likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The source of hot battery power should really be fused. If you have access to the rear of the relay panel I can probably guide you to a few locations. E.g. Power for the electric window system is close to the connectors I mentioned in my previous message.

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Theoretically, you could piggyback your 12volt flashing LED wires to these wires on the back of your relay panel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The panel is shown in the folded down position. Only one bolt holds the panel on. Right hand drive cars have inverted panels. Terminal A11 should have a red-black wire on it and terminal G6 should have a brown green wire on it.

First check the two points with a voltmeter. There should be zero volts with the doors unlocked and 12 volts with the doors locked. Anything else and we will have to go back to the drawing board.

Let know if I am talking to myself here ;)

490times likes this.
  6. 490times

490times Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Syracuse
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Sorry I've been away there's so much information here, thank you!!

Qavion likes this.