206 v 246 engine weight delta? | FerrariChat

206 v 246 engine weight delta?

Discussion in '206/246' started by DrDweeb, Mar 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Does anyone happen to know the weight difference between the alloy 2 litre engine and the 2.4 litre iron engine?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    If this helps, an American V8, the difference is between 65 and 80 Lbs.

Regards, Alberto

3. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    less than 10 Kg

4. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Is that figure correct? I do not doubt your figure, I am just surprised.
    For all the expense and complexity of creating an aluminum engine block, was the weight savings only 10 kg? If that was the case, I am not surprised that Ferrari switched to a cast iron block in the 246 engine.

5. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    What do you think is the weight of an 246 engine block? Maybe 35 kg? I can handle such a block without much difficulties and I’m not Arnold Schwarzenegger, believe me

V12addict likes this.
  6. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I have never handled an empty engine block of either type, so I have no idea. But if you can lift the 246 block without too much difficulties, 35 kg sounds reasonable.

I had been under the assumption that an aluminum block provided a very significant weight saving. For example, when Rover purchased the tooling for the lovely little Buick 215 cu. in. aluminum V8 from GM, they boasted that it weighed no more than the cast iron four cylinder engine it replaced! For that reason, I assumed that the weight difference between the 206 and 246 was in large part due to the aluminum engine of the 206. Apparently, that was not really the case. The aluminum body of the 206 was said to not save all that much weight either, since both models required a steel space frame under the skin.

In any case, interesting information.

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I doubt that information is available unless someone has one of each block to weigh.

the 206 had a dry weight of 990kg and the 246 series LME weighed in at 1080kg but had a mainly steel body.

The Fiat 2.0L spider (alum block)was 1150kg but the later 2.4 weighed (CI block) 1240kg
    both makes had a 90kg difference.

I doubt the aluminium block difference was 90kg though, so would guesstimate 15 to 20kg

tony

8. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    I think the use of aluminium was for better heat dissipation rather than saving weight.

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Weight of aluminum is 3 times less than steel. If the steel block is 35 kg, the aluminum block would be 12 kg. That makes a weight difference of 35 - 12 = 23 kg if the volume used in both block's equals.

Best regards

Peter

DinoLasse likes this.
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Peter, you are leaving out the crank, rods, etc....:rolleyes:

"...weight difference between the alloy 2 litre engine and the 2.4 litre iron engine?..."

Engine, not block.

Regards to you and family. Stay healthy!

Alberto

pshoejberg likes this.
  11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Wouldn‘t the crank, rods etc be the same material regardless of an alloy or iron block?

pshoejberg likes this.
  12. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Which V8s ??? :confused:;)

13. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Yes, they would be the same. Some of the components became slightly larger in the 246, but the weight increase of those parts must have been only marginal.

The stroke was increased only 3 mm, from 57 mm to 60 mm in the 246, so the crankshaft weight would be essentially the same.

The piston diameter was increased from 86 mm to 92.5 mm, an increase of around 7.5%. I imagine that the weight difference would be measured in grams rather than kilos.

The connecting rods were, as far as I know, the same. Most other parts of the engine were also the same - or essentially the same.

So it seems to me that the 206 engine was considerably lighter than the 246. If the difference was around 23 kg (50.7 lbs), as Peter estimated, I would call that substantial.

I wish that Ferrari would have stayed with the 206 concept and kept the weight of the car to 900 kg. I have a special preference for light cars. Nothing beats low weight in my opinion. Still, by modern standards the 246 is a delightfully light and responsive car. So I guess we can not complain too much.

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Google is your friend, I would give you the link where I found it, but alas...

Clearly, there are different V8's, but the weight differential is there depending which.

Regards, Alberto

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yes, but may vary slightly if it is a 2.0, smaller components.

Regards, Alberto

16. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    But the strength of aluminum is not equal to steel or iron. Similarly, the stiffness of aluminum is less versus steel or iron. So it takes more aluminum (volume and mass) to make an engine block that is as strong and as stiff as an iron block.

JCR and swift53 like this.
  17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Too many well educated engineers here thinking to much (I'm one myself). We are talking "gestimates". So far I think my contribution has been the most scientific approach and to get closer we need to strip down two engines and put them on a scale....-:)

Nuvolari likes this.
  18. DinoParts, Stefan

Sponsor

Mar 1, 2015
    Eschwege, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan Kratzer
    To end the speculation I weight both them:
    2.4l block: 52 kg!
    2.0l block (including liners): 31 kg

19. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Danke Stefan

DinoParts, Stefan likes this.
  20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Stefan, thank you! At some point, it would be interesting for someone to weigh a 206GT and a 246GT to see the difference.

DinoParts, Stefan likes this.
  21. LeoDino

LeoDino Rookie

Sep 2, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
  22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony

see post 7

I doubt that information is available unless someone has one of each block to weigh.

the 206 had a dry weight of 990kg and the 246 series LME weighed in at 1080kg but had a mainly steel body.

The Fiat 2.0L spider (alum block)was 1150kg but the later 2.4 weighed (CI block) 1240kg
    both makes had a 90kg difference.

I doubt the aluminium block difference was 90kg though, so would guesstimate 15 to 20kg

tony

23. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Just noticed this. Do you still have the block?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. LeoDino

LeoDino Rookie

Sep 2, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Georg
    No, I have sold it some time ago.