PPF of 812 | FerrariChat

PPF of 812

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Lagunae92, Mar 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Need to get PPF done. What do 812 owners recommend for coverage on the car? Full front obviously, hood, mirrors and side skirts. Doors and rear panels?

2. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    The whole thing.

3. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    ^ This!

LI2782 likes this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    +10000 and do ceramic coating on top. The best advantage is never really having to wash the car. I more or less only do spray and wipe. I maybe do full washes 2X a year. The film plus ceramic repels nearly all the dust and contaminates. I blow off, then spray with specially designed film safe liquid, then wipe. My cars look perfect all the time.

Caeruleus11 and Lagunae92 like this.
  5. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Did you guys paint correct first? I've been told to do so, but an installer also said no need with the PPF unless things are really bad.

6. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I would. My 812 was purchased new, but it still benefitted mightily from having the paint corrected.

Caeruleus11 and Lagunae92 like this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    1) the better films are already coated, no need to coat.
    2) no need paint to paint correct if you wrap the entire car, you can't see any imperfections under the film

These are facts but it's you money.

Pis7a2020 and Jeffreestylz like this.
  8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    For me, my 812 will be 100% covered with Expel and Ceramic Coated. I was watching a video where the installer sanded a stripe down the center of a hood then covered it and you could not tell a difference...….Your thoughts?

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Not all PPF is created equal some are coated some aren't. My suggestion is to buy one that is already coated. Regarding the video, its probably the guy that works in my shop. He shows people this so they dont get taken advantage by certain installers.

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Don't get sap on it, it sticks like **** to a shove! Well I think it was sap.
    I just spent 2 days cleaning the tiny bits off, cleaning it off sometimes scratched/marked the film, so I had to use a hair dryer to heat the film and this removed all the marks, I guess in the summer leaving outside in the sun would have done the same as the hairdryer?

11. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
  12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Stripe? Seam? I went with Suntek on my 812 because at the time (June 2019) it was the only manufacturer that came on a big enough roll to do the entire hood without seams at the edges nearest the windshield. I had those exposed edges on my F12 (Xpel) and it greatly disrupted the flow; they immediately caught the eye and dominated the appearance. FWIW, I did Xpel on my Performante and having Xpel down as I write this on my new (to me) 2005 Ford GT.

13. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    That is a concern. I am not sure that expel can cover the entire hood. Maybe it can now. I have seen videos and been told that paint correcting before PPF is unnecessary. I figure for a few hundred dollars on top of the triple layer paint it will only make it that much better.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    There are a few brands that can do it. Just ask your installer.

15. MikeS

MikeS Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mike S
    Expel released a larger roll size in December. My 812 hood was wrapped with it. I did the front bumper, hood, front fenders, sills and behind rear wheels. Personal preference is not to do the whole car. Had a light correction and polish done prior and full ceramic. Whatever you do drive it and enjoy it, don’t fret over a little rash here and there.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Lagunae92 and KarlA69 like this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Are you suggesting that you estimate the cost to paint correct the entire 812 hood at $300? In this part of the country you might get one rocker panel for that.

17. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    No, I have quotes for paint correction and ceramic on the ppf around $1500-2000 inclusive of both. I wasn't being exact.

Solid State likes this.
  18. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    I have used Suntek Ultra on my cars for a while now and it's worked out well. I cover the whole car with it and the film comes in more than one thickness so I use the thicker version on the front bumper to provide extra protection from road debris. Additionally, I have ceramic coating applied to the whole car. These steps give me peace of mind when I drive my cars.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  19. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    ppf or not for my 812 have been a question for a while, cause when i do the research they say ppf dim the shine and natural color of the car, is this true? I have Blu Electrico 812
    thanks for your help

20. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    For me on my ZR1 and 488, it enhanced the color and made the paint look wet!

Thecadster and Mike Chawla like this.
  21. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    When I put it on a Rosso Corsa 458, it was practically invisible and did not detract at all. I imagine with the quality of the products now and a ceramic coat, it will look better with ppf than without.

Mike Chawla likes this.
  22. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    oh wow the wet look is the right word description indeed! do you know the brand ppf they used?

23. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    ok so good to hear i will make sure to do ceramic coats also, do you also know the ppf brand they used to do yours?

24. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Expel, but this was a couple years ago and I imagine it has gotten even better. One installer I spoke to gives the slightest edge to Suntek because it has slightly less grain or orange peel. His words, as I have no experience with it. The company my dealer hires uses Expel. I saw them wrapping two Pista spiders with it and I couldn't see it applied, so it blends great.

Mike Chawla likes this.
  25. Mike Chawla

Mike Chawla Karting

Dec 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mike Chawla
    Thank you for your help really

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat