After long tough decision, picked up a 2015 458 Spider over 488, had a few Q's | FerrariChat

After long tough decision, picked up a 2015 458 Spider over 488, had a few Q's

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by s4play, Mar 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    hey F-chat owners!

It's been a tough decision for me these past few months....I'm not new to exotics or cars in general as we had a Huracan (wife hated it) and recently sold my 2017 NSX with hopes to pickup a Type-R but with the Acura camp not in bed with that decision, I decided to pull the trigger on an F-car for now. Wife loved the NSX so she wanted to make sure this Ferrari was comfortable.

I test drove a total of four 488 (coupes and spiders) and drove the 458 a few times as well. Both were nice cars and had positive points. Originally I wanted a coupe and had my sights set on a Speciale but figured no rush since we could not find a white one in the spec we wanted. Instead we stumbled onto a 2015 White Spider my wife loved and rest is history. We loved the look of the 458 Spider and got a beautiful spec to match my GPW NSX (white exterior / red interior seats) so wife gave green light to pull the trigger. Will share photos when the car arrives but we had a few questions if you guys don't mind. In our current stable, we have a few convertibles but none are exotic cars (mostly s2000 (his/her) and NSX with Targa top).

a) I read in other posts the 458 Spider has factory coilovers so the car can be lowered 15mm, is that true and is that the best route to take? Do you take it to a dealer or any independent shop can do it?

b) My 458 is a loaded to the tilt $330k+ sticker car so it has the AFS front lifter, is that still ok to lower?

c) I plan to order some 20" BBS LM's to match my NSX and a few other rides, has anyone installed those wheels on their 458? Care to share some photos or tips?

d) Our car is white and looking for some carbon aero parts, the caveat is I do NOT want to drill any holes so what parts do you guys recommend?

e) The car will be going to get detailed and getting a really trick partial wrap, but I noticed a lot of owners wrap the rear cowl and upper top in black? Is that advisable?

f) Last question, I promise - is the factory sport exhaust good or are there any "favorites" that sound a lot better? My last Lambo had their "RACE" exhaust which sounded a world better than the stock sport exhaust. This is what I'm looking for, don't want to put something that is lower quality.

Thanks again for the help!~

redzone likes this.
  2. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    First, congrats! The NSX got me thinking of an upgrade from a Carrera, and I also ended up with a white 458 Spider. I can’t answer most of your first questions, but as far as carbon exterior, I have the side rails, upper rear, and the pillars, which I think it looks pretty good. I have a Kline exhaust with 200 cats - definitely an upgrade from the stock, but not too radical.

I’d be interested about your impressions of the Huracan and the NSX.....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Way to go spider man. Safe travels and all the best , Kirk.

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    f) The sport exhaust on the 458 is just black tips. It's the same mufflers/cats, etc. So it's the same sound. It's just cosmetic.
    If you want to enjoy a better exhaust note without spending a lot of money, add the Capristo, or the Forza exhaust valve controller. The car sounds a lot more aggressive under normal driving. It makes the biggest difference in "throttle off" rumble. You can select a stock setting, or the valves always open with a push of a button.

s4play and docf like this.
  5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I pulled the lines to the baffles in the mufflers in my spider. So the exhaust stays open at all rpms. I love the sound.

This is completely reversible and won’t effect your warranty. It is very cheap so you might want to try it before spending a buch of money on another exhaust or a capristo controller.

White 458 Spiders are great looking. Enjoy.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    You can feel the loss of torque with the baffles open below < 3000 RPMs. I leave mine open all the time, but switch back to OEM mode for spirited driving. Track days don't matter much, as you are never below 3000 RPMs, except when leaving the pits. Anyhow, I wouldn't suggest just plugging the lines if you are extracting a lot of performance from the car.

Melvok and up4speed like this.
  7. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    @wthensler Lets hear a video of this with the 200 cats? Or message me one 717-319-2100

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats

9. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The only LM’s fitted to a 458 were on widebody, not sure how difficult it would be to get them to fit on a standard 458. I have custom BBS E88/E89
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

redzone and s4play like this.
  10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Love the way the car originally looks. Old NSX must be fun!

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I felt the same way, but had a friend take his 458 to the 1/4 mile track. He consistently got better times with the valves open. I was shocked. I didn't expect that result. Maybe it made up the lost torque at the higher end? Not sure...

Melvok and PhilNotHill like this.
  12. nero corsa

nero corsa Karting

Apr 4, 2017
  13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Wow. I never noticed. Can you detect a pea under your mattress as well?

boobernackle, scott61 and IloveGT like this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Congratz, enjoy her to the MAXX (the car I mean :) )

15. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    The Huracan is a fun car no double about it. It's raw, very eye catching and with the Race exhaust, it was so loud on cold start, we would only take it out of the house on Saturday afternoons since we didn't want to disturb the neighbors. The car screams with the V10 and is quite reliable and robust. You NEVER want to drive it in Strada mode, it makes the car feel like a normal Audi A4 if that is possible. Shifts are lethargic, exhaust is quiet and and puts around town like a Prius. I always used Sport mode which opens the valves or Corsa mode which is how a proper sports car should be driven. What we hated about the car was the OEM "comfort" seats. We took a 1 hour leisure drive to Napa and on the way home our backs started to hurt and by the time we reached home we just wanted to get out of the car.

For the NSX, check out the review here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/205692-Took-a-1300-mile-trip-in-our-Noveulle-Blue-NSX-and-got-to-intimately-get-to-know-her!

16. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    redzone and scarfiotti355 like this.
  17. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    ^thanks! I don't know if I have the engine carbon, will find out next week.

The car does have pretty much the full factory interior carbon so all the console, dash, wheel and trim pieces are carbon.

18. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Congrats OP on your 458. Post some photos. I went the other way 458 Spider to 610-4 to 580-2. Blessed to own either of these Italian thoroughbreds.

19. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    Agreed, I'm truly blessed to have a supportive wife and great kids to enjoy such a toy with! Car is enroute on transport so will post some actual pics when I receive it hopefully next week.

Curious why did you go the other way? To a Huracan I understand with the V10 motor, but why the 580-2? My local dealer has really been urging me to try the Huracan EVO, but my heart is still with the Performante'

20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Drive my exotics to work on city streets and wasn't too keen on the AWD dyanamics coming from GT3, California and 458. Enjoy the more playful, tossable RWD driving experience. Having autocrossed the 580-2, I had a better understanding/appreciation of it's RWD nature.

I understand the Performante has a more dynamic driving experience compared to the 610-4.

Love the EVO RWD, may go that route or used Perf in the future but for now really enjoying the 580-2.

21. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I have a 458 spider that is lowered on the factory suspension. Pics are available in a thread on lowering the 458. I posted it a long time ago. The only reason I know it is there is that just today I got a "like" and it was on that thread.
    To answer your specific question, YES you can lower the car IF you have the lifter. NO, you cannot lower it as much. as without it. In the thread about lowering, I made mention that not all Ferraris come out of the factory at the correct ride height. Meaning, if your dealer or trusted shop attempts to lower the car, make sure they measure it at all four quadrants first. You may need to lower each corner a different amount. My car was actually 20mm too high from the factory. So lowering it to even factory spec would have been needed!
    Beautiful car and best of luck.
    Randy

s4play likes this.
  22. Codie

Codie Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 30, 2019
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Codie H
    I have capristo rear hatch in carbon bottom and primed top brand new if your looking for carbon upgrades I have many parts for sale.

PM me
    Or
    714-501-1995

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    Car arrived in record time from NC to CA! Driver was most courteous and even had my son help with the unloading of the car (his wife let my son push the buttons to lower the lift)!

I've only driven her roughly 15 miles to get gas and to the DMV since it's been pouring rain here but wanted to share a few pictures of the delivery. The dealer was pretty good up to the point of the sale. They promised me both keys and the owners manual but the car arrived with only one key. After a long firm phone call and email they promised to send it do me so I will withhold any rants or names for now.

Aside from the transaction the car is pretty good, it has only 1500 miles and 1 owner prior. Almost brand new interior and had the carbon seats which was a deal breaker for us. I think the 458 just looks so bland without them. The Red leather interior was a big plus as it spices up the colors and matches our 2004 GPW NSX perfectly.

Next on the agenda is using the OEM suspension to lower the car 15mm and install the BBS wheels.

One Q: I can't get the radio to turn on, is there any trick since I tried pretty much every button on the panel?

thanks
    rick

Attached a few pics below:

Delivery Day:
    [​IMG]

Love this interior:
    [​IMG]

Love every angle of this car:
    [​IMG]

This is one of my other unicorns along with my s2000 CR parked next to her:
    [​IMG]

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Wonderful and congrats!
    458 radios....sigh. I had 3 of those cars and still cant recall, it’s all so backwards and dated. Try to get a Bovee and hook your phone up.

tekaefixe likes this.
  25. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Congratulations, Rick! Great choice and spec!

Enjoy in good health! Wish you many miles of happiness behind the wheel.

Nuno