Pistsa/F8 Style Wheel Bolts | FerrariChat

Pistsa/F8 Style Wheel Bolts

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mdrums, Mar 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I want to get a set of the allen head wheel bolts for my 2019 488GTB. Ferrari dealer has them for like $2k. I see Novice has some that seem to look like the Pista wheel bolts for $990.

What is the difference between the Ferrari and Novice bolts? Are the Ferrari 2pc with the spinning cone washer? I see the Novitec are 1pc bolts. Any other bolts I should be aware of?

Thanks!

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I bought a set of the Ferrari Ti bolts from eurospares, best price I could find. ($1600) I liked them the best so I just paid the price!

mdrums likes this.
  3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Are the Ferrari Ti bolts 2pc or 1pc? ....2pc is the cone shape washer is free to turn...1 pice is just a threaded and shaped solid bolt

4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    mdrums likes this.
  5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
  6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Thanks so I see the Ferrari set is really 2 piece bolts. So Scuderia Parts is not not posting and selling true Ferrari parts

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I think Ferrari may have several part numbers, IIRC Ferrari titanium bolts used to be single piece (so that some preferred to go for alternative suppliers offering 2-piece bolts) and the Ferrari 2-piece bolts might have been released only recently.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Two-piece vs. one-piece lug bolts.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Solid State likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Such a specialty video. Would not think they are interchangeable on the same wheel because the lug torque setting has to take into account the friction of the lug hole surface to the bolt head with the one-piece. The two piece would have less bite and drag on the lug hole and more stretch in the bolt thread so lower torque setting for the same tightness. Doesn't seem much but when using a torque wrench where there is no 'feel' could get you into trouble. I would stick with stock bolts.

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Which is why I am asking if the stock bolts on the Pista are 1 or 2 piece.

LVP488 and Solid State like this.
  13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    True. It would depend on the difference in the coefficient of friction though, as the second piece of the bolt also has friction. If the coefficient of friction is roughly the same as between the aluminum wheel and the titanium second piece, the torque requirement should be roughly the same. Also, the coefficient of titanium is roughly the same as that of the hardened steel stock bolts, which are one piece. So I would think they're really close, and if you over-tighten the bolts a bit, it's probably OK.

Also, the two-piece design is probably mostly about protecting the wheel lug seat given that both steel lugs and titanium ones have close to the same coefficient of friction.

Solid State likes this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    So if the Pista has 2 pc bolts, is the torque spec on Pista different than 488 GTB?

15. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Speciale manual says 100nm/74 ft.lbs, same as 458, so I would think same for 488/Pista.

mdrums likes this.
  16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Thanks...yes my 488 manual says 100nm 74ft lbs. now to find a nice deal on Pista bolts

Need4Spd likes this.
  17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Generally agree. However, the steel one piece drags through the wheel lug hole inner diameter as it turns spiraling into and widening the painted aluminium surface diameter of the lug hole. The two piece has no spiraling action and is also Ti to Ti spinning flat together. I think the two piece will be smoother and thus need less torque setting for the same level of tightening. You should feel a difference if not using a long torque wrench. This is of course being careful that the bolt/threads/surfaces are dry at all times.

I once made the mistake with aluminum DD wheels using a torque wrench set to factory spec but some machine oil was on the one piece steel bolt and head. This greatly reduced the friction at the wheel hole surface and the bolt really was over-tightened even at the OEM setting. After that time, the lug never felt right due to the wheel hole being enlarged just a bit. Always felt it would not snug up. When I rotated tires could always find the one that seemed loose even using a different bolt.

Need4Spd likes this.
  18. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, definitely do not lube the lugs.

mdrums and Solid State like this.
  19. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yes correct...I never do...I do take a clean dry rag and wipe the threads though but I do not plan on taking wheels on and off much, like I use to do on my Porsche's back in 2006-2016 when I tracked every month. I did order the wheel hangers from StickyRZ couple days ago.

Need4Spd likes this.