F8 - CoronaVirus halting production? | FerrariChat

F8 CoronaVirus halting production?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by VHlambo580, Feb 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    So, the towns south of Maranello have been quarantined. Ferrari has basically shut down its museum tours and restricting access for tourists. What are your thoughts on them slowing down or halting production? I have an F8 in Status 40 which is supposed to be delivered in April. Curious on your views...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I'd be more worried about China, even tho Bosch is a German company most all its parts are made in China as well as other suppliers Ferrari buys from.

jhl1963 and uhn2000 like this.
  3. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Despite not being resident in Italy I have my parents there (and not that far from the factory) and visit the country pretty often, so I have a first-hand impression of how things are going.
    It is my very personal opinion that production rate may be affected, partly because of undue panic, partly because of actual logistic complications (mostly consisting in scarce supplies from China).
    I am not aware of any big company actually "halting" the production so far, though.
    Just my opinion, of course, as nobody knows the future.

4. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Most Chinese factories are running albeit some are down by 25% of the workforce, but they are working! Seems new Virus cases in China are slowing down some too!

5. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    I am still close to the Italian situation and I can tell that very strict emergency procedures have been extended to all the country; Lamborghini, for one, halted the production today until the 25th. It doesn't necessarily mean that Ferrari has halted or will halt production too, but it's a (very sad) telltale of the situation.

6. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Ducati has closed as well.
    Ferrari is still open, but at a lower production pace; difficult to say if they will close. The CEO says no, but...

7. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Here we are: Ferrari just announced 2 weeks of stop...

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Will be longer than 2 weeks

Master Deep likes this.
  9. QV308

QV308 Karting

Jan 1, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Chip, I wouldn't be too concerned re. China. When I recently checked there were nearly 4 times as many Bosch automotive production plants just in Germany (let alone Europe) than there are in China. The Bosch automotive supply chain is globalized, but definitely far more Euro centric than Asian.

ChipG likes this.
  10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Europe is the epicenter of the pandemic. I’d worry about the entire supple chain.

MANDALAY likes this.
  11. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Looks like part of Maranello will be repurposed. Italy seems to be in this for a longer haul than first thought. Months perhaps.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  12. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    YEARS perhaps or maybe forever, and it's not only Italy, it's everywhere now, looks like the end of time!:oops:

13. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    #13 SLDriver, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Big delays incoming. The parts supply chain is in chaos right now because remember if one country is open for business another might be still closed. It will take many months to get it back on track.

On a side note, I called my local dealer today to see how things were going and my SA told me his phone has been ringing off the hook the past few says. He told he's had mix bag of customers calling;

Customers are bailing on pending orders because of the delays

Customers who want to cancel orders which are in production because of delays and financial issues

Customers who are looking for a certain model ASAP because they reckon they'll be a shortage of good clean cars for many months once the pandemic is over

Oh, my SA said he's got a lot of "I'm a cash" buyer calls asking for massive discounts on random cars. My SA got so fed up with the calls he told one guy he could give a 48% discount on a 488 and the guy on the other side he would think about it. A lot of tire kickers coming out of the woodworks.

jm2 likes this.