"Engine Control System Failure" dashboard warning | FerrariChat

"Engine Control System Failure" dashboard warning

Discussion in '612/599' started by Da Butcher, Mar 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    #1 Da Butcher, Mar 14, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    Friday last week, I drove to my local Shell station to get a tankful of fuel. As I drove slowly (about 10-15 mph) out of the station's driveway past another set of pumps, I heard a dull thud underneath my car but knew I hadn't bottomed out the front bumpers' skid plates as I hadn't even reached the usual driveway embankment ramp leading to the street.

All was copacetic as I drove away slowly (business street speed limit was 30 mph) until 30 seconds later when my dashboard displayed an "Engine Control System Failure" warning. Nonetheless, the engine sounded and functioned normally, so when I got home I took a peek underneath and saw the aluminum underbody aero cover underneath the engine's aft end slightly torn!:eek:

I drove back to the Shell station to recheck if there might've been anything unusually protruding on the driveway. Nothing, except that their pumps were located on flat cement platforms slightly elevated and sloping down to the asphalt driveway. My car must've bottomed out at the edge as I drove away.

Since the engine continues to function properly, it's possible an engine sensor (?) located just above the torn cover might have gotten dislodged or damaged! I'm waiting for Ferrari SB to have a loaner available before I take it in for diagnosis / repair.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Speaking as someone who is currently going through a similar episode of nonsense, all I can say is that I feel your pain.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Sorry for the trouble but I wouldn't give up my 599 and I suspect you wouldn't either.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    So I tried to guess

If you did hit something on exhaust by pushing up on bottom panel it may be the temp sensor input side of cat ..

But another thought that is easily check us the gas cap .. make sure it is on correctly and not cross threaded

Just two quick thoughts but the best thing would be to read code from ecu and find fault code

Do you have a friend who have a decent eobd reader?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Hi John, I wouldn't even think of giving up my 599, but I might just go to the Chevron station in town where I hadn't experienced any such annoying incidents in the past. I started diverting away from Chevron only when Shell introduced their latest V-Power Nitro+ premium fuel which has been great on Ferraris.

Hello George, did your 599 also bottom out and tear open the underbody aero cover, then mess up an engine sensor resulting in annoying warning signs? Thanks for any clarification. Since mine is an HGTE model, it is obviously 15-20 mm lower than GTB models. The GM at Ferrari-SB assured me that they can easily raise my car's clearance height up to be similar to GTB's, but that would negate the improved handling and lower Center of Gravity of HGTE.

Not a good trade off IMHO. :rolleyes: Oy vey!

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Was not as scary a warning when they just said CEL with a little engine image.

7. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Terry - The CEL with the little engine symbol did light up along with the "ECS Failure" written warning. As long as the engine still functions normally, the Ferrari service manager said I may drive it to their dealership and not tow it on a flatbed.

Dominick - As you may see in the picture I posted, the cover's edge was bent downward and backward (shiny metal with its edges a bit jagged). So I also checked the fuel cap (good idea o_O) to ensure it's screwed on properly to where the cap can be ratcheted. I think the cap cannot be cross-threaded since it doesn't have traditional threads; rather it has two triangular nubs 180 degrees apart that engages into a groove on the tube filler neck.

I'll check it again tomorrow morning when I can start the engine. It's too late at night here now so I don't want to blast my neighbors awake and tick them off.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone nearby who has an OBD II reader and that's why my alternative is to bring it to the dealer. Thanks.

8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
  9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Unfortunately I am unable to see that much from pic but I definitely would look at that sensor I mentioned .. right in front of cat

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I bot that a few months ago but haven't used it yet ...I too think for the money it is definitely seems like a very very good reader . Can't do activations but fir a reader it seems pretty much complete

Just a note . The first car is free and for life (updates) but ever additional car is a additional fee updates only last a year .. I think would be a good tool to just dedicate to one ferrari

11. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    what's happening with your car?

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My car is at Karosserie, the estimate happened this past week and I'm waiting for someone to tell me that everything is going to be OK. Hagerty is covering the car and I've never made a claim with them over six years so I'm hoping there is no problem. Thanks for asking!

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Oh NO - sorry to hear. hope all will be ok.... From what I see Hagerty is good with claims - friend had his Porsche hit pretty hard - they were right there with payment etc... it was a good outcome in the end. ( early 911 E Porsche clone of a RS )

14. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

I hope your car is OK.

The light comes on in my 599 about halfway through summer driving season every year. Each Spring when it goes to the shop, they reset it, they also say don’t worry about it.

Still love the crazy car. :)

15. gsholz

gsholz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2006
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Any $20 OBDII reader should be able to read the CEL. Then we'd know what the car is complaining about. The OBDII port is under the leather panel left of the driver's knee.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  16. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I have warning lights come on periodically when I start my 458. Turning it off and restarting it always clears them. I assume they are faults from low voltage on startup. This has happened maybe 6 times or so for me.

Try restarting the car before worrying further, though it does sound like YOU have something else going on.

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Still worth getting a code reader to see what’s up. The CEL light only comes on for active faults; those faults that “went away” will be saved as missed faults.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Oddly enough, my $4k OTC Genesis scanner doesn't include Ferrari stuff.

19. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    So Dominick - I started the car Sunday morning and the CEL dashboard light plus the "ECS Failure" warning still persisted. I drove it to church for Sunday Mass and after restarting it several hours later, the warning lights cleared up! The warning light hasn't lit up lately, so the initial cause might've truly been a loose fuel cap.

Now I recall struggling to reinstall the cap several times after filling up with fuel; like the cap refused to ratchet which probably meant it wasn't fully closed and engaged. Even after I finally installed the cap, it took a lot of effort to apply torque and get it to ratchet. It's quite possible that this cap is not fully functional anymore or worn and requires a new replacement. Either that our my hands are getting weaker. :eek:

I've heard somewhere that the standard aluminum fuel cap costs a mint from Ferrari (their Parts Manager stated once that as soon as the Cavallino Rampante gets stamped on an item, the sell price multiplies exponentially!).

I don't recall either of my Mercs act strange with the cap uninstalled, but our previous Cayenne Turbo S always immediately signaled a loose cap on the dashboard whenever such an incident had occurred.

Nevertheless, many thanks for pointing out that those warning signals could be caused by a partially engaged fuel cap. Your suggestion by itself saved me undue worries, time and effort to drive out plus added expenses to have the dealer check it out.

Now I just have to get a body shop repair the torn underside cover after this CoViD-19 quarantine isolation crisis is over. It's such a PITA, but absolutely necessary to curtail its spread!

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I am so glad my SWAG worked .. where are you located so that others can direct you to the best repair shop

21. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Dominick - I live in Camarillo CA, about 50 mi north of Los Angeles and 50 mi south of Santa Barbara. I believe I had mentioned to you previously that we moved here from Edison NJ back in Jan 1980 (just in time for the Lakers NBA championship with Magic and Kareem).

Thanks again. :D

22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes. Age sets in .lol

Maybe others can chime in to assist / recommend a good body shop in that area