Capristo protective heat shield for headers | FerrariChat

Capristo protective heat shield for headers

Discussion in '348/355' started by f355spider, Apr 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Anyone using these? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlfq84sO0pQ[/ame]

An acquaintance here in Seattle has them on his 355 with Fabspeed headers and Tubi Evolution exhaust (I forget which catalysts he has)...been using them for about 1.5 years, looks like a good solution to heat concerns in the engine compartment.

2. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Quite impressive, an inside temp of 1200 and outside of 30.
    But they are expensive at 2 g.
    Viable option though.

3. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I just order them and will be getting them on Friday. For the 355 they only make them for the headers and not the cats but still should help. Tired of everything baking from the heat of the engine.

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Bob what manifolds are you using?

5. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Fabspeed that have been ceramic coated inside and out.

6. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Very impressive

7. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Are you still having heat issues with coated Fabspeed headers? Do you have the fabspeed heat shields? What kind of problems did the heat cause for you?

8. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    I would steer clear of any aftermarket headers that don't offer proper heatshields as these are fine in track conditions (whether ceramic coated or not) due to adequate air flow, but for city driving (stop and go/traffic) the heat from the headers has proven to be too much for some (melted bits under the hood) the challenge grill really helps here. I know the whole setup of wrapped headers is more expensive but in the long run would, imo, be worth the extra cash. Note that if you're running completely catless with an aftermarket exhaust (Tubi/Capristo...) and your bypass valve is working properly (or removed as in the challenge car case) then heat issues are significantly reduced. Heat build up is known to be caused by the cats, resulting in header failure and the host of problems that ensue from there if neglected.

9. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I have no Idea what I'm talking about however, it seems to me wrapping headers in a blanket would keep much more of the heat in and effectively cook the exhaust that much quicker... Of course this is an assumption with no knowledge behind it. :)

10. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have the heat shields from Fabspeed. I have the Challenge grill and Hyperflows. Much of the problems with these cars I think is heat related. CV boots, wiring, alternators, AC, rubber hoses all these things start to fail because of heat. So I am going to try these blankets and see if it makes a difference. Worst that happens is my headers have a shorter life but maybe it will protect the other components, which are not cheap to replace, in the engine bay and make the car more reliable.

11. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    I have the small shields, test pipes, bypass y-pipe and headers from Fabspeed. All of which have been ceramic coated with 2100 degree coating.

I also have a Nouvalari aftermarket exhaust. However, no challenge grille.

I was hoping this would be enough and the heat issues wouldn't affect me but now I'm not so sure.

12. FDT

FDT Formula Junior

May 18, 2010
    La
    Full Name:
    Ric
    Looks like a nice well engineered product, two concerns, the price seems a bit high at 2k and will this cause any heat related issues to the headers and cats themselves?

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I saw a set of shields like that on a March 1997 Indy car last weekend.

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Header blankets, :)

15. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Yeah my OEM heatshields above the CV boot are damaged and I got quoted something like 600$ for the pair :S, the heat shield being damaged from heat of course, cause the CV boot to go.

16. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    These heat shields are easily repaired with fiberglass cloth and resin.
    It cost nothing and about 1/2 an hour of unskilled labour.
    Afterwards I coated then with VHT high heat paint.
    If you wanted additional protection you could install an alloy plate on top of them or to outright replace them (if clearence was an issue).

17. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Yeah I was just gonna fix these or replace em with Stainless steal ceramic coated plates.

18. Bve07

Bve07 Rookie

May 7, 2009
    Plenty Australia
    Full Name:
    Bob Van Essen
    I installed Fabspeed headers just over 2 years ago, they were supplied ceramic coated with heat shields for the Air con compressor and the alternator. The car has done 7,600km with this setup, and I have just removed them and gone back to original.
    Both engine mounts were burnt away, and the cam cover seals failed causing oil leaks.
    With the original header setup the gaskets would last 4 years without fail.
    The engine mounts were the original units and were fine before fitting the Fabspeed headers.
    Although the Fabspeed headers are well made, and they look cool on the car, I feel they just haven't done their homework.
    The radiant heat from these headers is just way to high.
    Also, on a side note, on the Dyno, the Fabspeed Headers made 14% more torque in the lower mid range area, but didn't make a single hp. more at the top end.
    I don't drive in the lower mid range area!
    And of course that wonderful exhaust note was gone.
    I will be buying the Tubi system, They may cost a lot more but they're a 4-2-1 system with heat shields. so they should sound good, and keep the heat levels down.

19. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Anyone know if this is still made by Capristo? Or has one for sale?

20. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  21. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
  22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Search the site for your application...or am I supposed to do so for you? ;)

23. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Well, if you did do it for him, you'd have to tell him that they don't make them for a 355 - or at least they're not listed on the web site. ;)

But a call or two might turn up some NOS blankets.

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Fabspeed used to make them but not sure.

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The blankets came with the Capristo headers for the Scud. Looks nice and well made, but I am sure there are less costly solutions. It’s not like the engine bay stopped running hot. Still gets hot in there.

I don’t see any reason why these couldnt be used on any 8 cylinder (4 on each side)Ferrari headers