Tail Light Power Requirements for LEDs | FerrariChat

Tail Light Power Requirements for LEDs

Discussion in '360/430' started by 1949live, Mar 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Have an F430 F1 that I want to upgrade its tail lights to LED based. I have read in some places, which I can't seem to find again, that the car measures the power to the tail lights to determine if they are working, which I also understand can effect the F1 transmission operation. Is this true? And if so, anyone have any idea how close the power measurements are? Reason I ask is the LED lights I am looking at would replace the 5W/12W dual filament bulbs with one that use 4W/8W. Any idea if this will cause me any issues? Thanks much.

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    A couple options...
    Guy on Facebook talked about these yesterday.

“Replacement bulbs for the 360/F430 LED tail light bulbs installed and license plate lights. He also has kits for other Ferrari models. Comes with 8 bulbs with resistor's that replaces the standard bulbs +2 for backup, much brighter, safer and more reliable. These bulbs are safe and will not throw codes or interfere with the F1 transmission.”

https://www.hidsrus.com/ferrari-f430-led-brake-tail-turn-lights-bulbs/

Scud Ing Swiss offers these...

https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/33-usacdn-version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  4. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks guys. It is the HIDRUS units that I am looking to install. Sounds like they will work, so that's good news. I'm not familiar with the Facebook group you refer to. Can you provide a link to the thread? Thanks.

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
  6. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    I ordered a set from hidsrus but they are back ordered for a few weeks. I’ll make a post on here once they are installed

7. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    I purchased the F430 set from HDISRUS and installed them, but ended up returning them. If you check the outside dual-filament style LEDs they supply, you will find that the light output difference from when the headlights/parking lights are on to stepping on the brake is very minimal. At night I can easily see getting rear-ended as the brake light is a barely noticeable change from the parking light. Has no one else had this issue with this product? Additionally, one of the single filament units was defective on delivery - doesn't give me a warm quality feeling.

As per my original post: Does anyone know what the F430 computer is actually looking for to determine the light is OK and not throw F1 problems? Is it looking for a minimum amount of current draw, and if so any way to find out what that is? Thanks much.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Somewhere on here there is a thread where they spec a resistor for the job. But if it is 5W it would be about 0.42 amps. Brake lights would be about 1A. Don't know where the limit is on the detection circuit, I doubt anyone here tested that specifically except for maybe Trev. You could figure out the limit with a bunch of resistors and a little testing.