458 purchase guidance | FerrariChat

458 purchase guidance

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RazAtx, Mar 17, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RazAtx

RazAtx Rookie

Oct 6, 2019
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Raza Haider
    What would you all think is a good price to negotiate on the cars below given the current environment....all are red/tan and similar spec:

1. 2013 458 coupe with 6k miles. Asking 180k from a F dealership and comes with 2yrs of the extended warranty paid
    2. 2013 458 coupe with 10k miles. Asking 175 from a non F dealer
    3. 2014 458 spider with 7k miles. Asking 185k from a non F dealer

2. rmk40

rmk40 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 3, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Rafi
    First decision you have to make is which car you like most, including options. The deals are actually more similar than they appear.

#1 includes warranty but nothing is free, ~10k is basically built into the price to cover the cost.

#2 If you consider missing warranty and more miles than #1, I’m sure you could get a lower price.

Now, that’s the Italia. F dealer or not has subjective value. If you’re building a relationship to get access to new model allocations in the future, then it matters. Otherwise it comes down to the reputation of the seller. There are some great, reputable sellers out there. I bought mine from a 3rd party and wouldn’t hesitate again.

#3 is a great price considering it’s a spider and newer model year (model year and miles are the only factors in depreciation). Different car though. Do you want a convertible? If you don’t care, then save and get the Italia.

I’ve said this before here. More than anything get the car with the colors and options you want. The incremental difference in cost is something you’ll regret making a factor in the future.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Usually best to buy from a dealer in my experience. Having the 2 year extended warranty on the car is a great deal. That most likely means the car has had to go through a more extensive inspection, so that Ferrari will even offer the warranty extension. Typically, they don't just tack that on for the fun of it. It costs $$ and usually requires a fairly costly inspection before it's granted. Double check with the dealer to find out more about that.

When you are dealing with non Ferrari dealers, typically they are just flipping the car and very little thought is given to going through it or checking it out (assuming they even have the equipment on hand to properly do so).

This isn't like buying a used Honda Civic. Be smart, build a relationship with a Ferrari dealer. If you buy a used and abused 458 from a non-Ferrari dealer and later find out the motor was rev through the roof and now needs major work, you might be left wondering if saving a few thousand on a car that needs 10's of thousands of dollars worth of work was a wise decision.

Also, a better question to ask here isn't what's the best price, but what's the best car - in other words, start asking questions regarding the history of the car. How many owners? Does anyone know who they were? Usually cars at Ferrari dealerships have gone through the hands of very good, known customers that treat their cars better. Having a Ferrari at a non-Ferrari dealership should always raise some eyebrows. Why wasn't it taken back to the original dealership? Who owned it last? How did this Ferrari end up at XYZ dealer that isn't the business of selling Ferraris to begin with?

Again, the most important question here isn't who will negotiate the best price, but are you buying a 458 which has been properly taken care of and serviced, etc.

The one with the extended warranty at an actual Ferrari dealership should go to the top of the list in my opinion.

Ray

nero corsa likes this.
  4. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    #1 appears to be the best choice given the 2 yr extended warranty.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I always find it interesting that people ask questions like this. I have no idea, which car is a better choice or which car you could get the best price on. Impossible to tell the cars condition, color, options (unlike most of you carbon fiber decorations make cars worth less to me I hate that stuff unless it serves a purpose like making the car lighter and more rigid), service history, amount of owners, and what it looks like when I get it on my lift. I have a 2014 spider, but I actually like driving the 4C spider more.

6. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    On a 6000 mile car, I sure don't understand the value of a 2 year extended warranty. Certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.
    What's the chance that any part of the warranty will be used for anything? My 458 has almost 13,000 miles on it, and hardly anything has happened
    that would make the extra warranty pay off. These cars have had the seven year maintenance included, so it's pretty safe to say, they've ALL been kept up to date.
    Doesn't take much detective work to see if they've gotten their yearly service. Every year my car has a light come on, telling the idiot driving it ( ME), to go get a FREE service.

Makes more sense to pay attention to the options on the car, figure what are must haves, and what you can live without.

7. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    It's more insurance and peace of mind. I had almost 15,000 miles on mine when I sold it and never had any issues either.

Ray

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i bought the extended warranty for my then 5,500 mile 2012 458 and never used it. car has nearly 10k on it now and the only thing that happened was the oil pressure sensor went out which was a couple hundred bucks

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Extended Ferrari warranty, health insurance and horsepower: three things that it’s better to have and not need it, than needing it and not having it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

10. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    As a manufacturer, I view the extended warranties with disgust. What happened to the pride of making things that DON'T break?
    If one of my machines broke before it was five or six years old, I'd feel my engineering was to blame and I would TRIP over myself to take care of the problem. When a person pays upward of 300 to 400K for a car, Ferrari shouldn't quibble about paying for an oil sensor, or in my case a window regulator. CLEARLY when a part like an oil sensor fails, or a window regulator completely eats itself, there's either a design flaw, or a parts failure. ANY manufacturer, SHOULD feel a sense of SHAME, when things break prematurely. To tack on an expensive extended warranty to me is just salt in the wound.

The public seems to have taken PAYING for warranties as a fact of life. Every time I ship with UPS, I find it ludicrous, that they want me to buy insurance to make sure my product arrives at it's destination intact. In other words, they want me to pay EXTRA, for them to successfully do their jobs. For me, it's like CHARGING an extra 10 to 20 percent, to make sure my product works, when a customer receives it.

That's the perspective of a guy who has a FREEZER made in 1950, that still works great and has NEVER broken- seventy years later. For the greenies on the planet, that feel something that contains 4.8 pounds of Freon is a danger- if it never fails, it's way more "green" than an appliance that fails in five years.

Got a little bit off subject- buy the car that lights your hair on fire- don't buy the car you feel "safe" with. Chances are slim to none, you'll need a warranty, but I sure
    wish my car had cruise control (pit speed), at a cost WAY less than a warranty.

tchandra, andyrichter and Challenge like this.
  11. DXB599

DXB599 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

No question, option #3 assuming similarly equipped and condition as the other two.

12. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    Number 1 for sure. The coupe is the one to have and an approved car is always that...